The .460 S&W Hammers Another One.

2»

Replies

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Yeah, but my actions are closed in trophy shots and I use match bullets for hunting. Drive other bullets too fast because folks say I shouldn't and get results I'm not supposed to get. Not to mention I take head shots and use game as ballistic test media as well as table fare. I'd be ostracized from the outset. I don't follow the status quo.

:-)
    Piss on the status quo. This stuff is priceless.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I finally chronographed the load.

2,388 fps !!!!!

So, the corrected ballistics are.......

.460 S&W
    Bullet: 250gr Hornady XTP
    Muzzle Velocity: 2,388
    Distance to Impact: 93 yards
    Angle: Right Side Quartering Towards
    Impact Velocity: 1,848 (est)
    Distance Traveled After Impact: 0 yards
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    That's screaming fast for a handgun load. Gotta be a serious thud on impact!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    I finally chronographed the load.

2,388 fps !!!!!

Duuuuuuuuuude. . .:drool:

For the love of all that is right and proper, SOMEBODY chamber that round in a short pump action!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

For the love of all that is right and proper, SOMEBODY chamber that round in a short pump action!

Or, a slick lever gun.....
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY

Gross!!!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Or, a slick lever gun.....

Yes, please.
    Gross!!!

Seriously? The concept of this child of the '30's in a .460 or .500S&W does nothing for you?:confused:
    WWJMBD?

Seriously? The concept of this child of the '30's in a .460 or .500S&W does nothing for you?:confused:

Absolutely none. Your know how you are about lever guns?

That's me about pump actions.
    This is one thing I've never understood about the gun market - folks will buy 870's and 500's by the truckload and enthusiastically extol their fast-handling and rapid-fire virtues for blasting clay, little birdies, and unwanted 3:00 am visitors. But give them the same system in a package that can fell an elk from a few hundred yards and they get all balky - opting instead for B.Tyler Henry's ergonomic dinosaur. It don't add up!:silly:
    WWJMBD?

I'm not even a fan of pump shotguns. I prefer doubles.

So, there.

;-)
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    What was your estimated FPS before you chronographed it? I can't remember....
    What was your estimated FPS before you chronographed it? I can't remember....

I estimated 2,250 from looking at the Hodgdon manual.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member

:up:

Oh, forgot to mention.....that's 3165 FPE, in case you wanted to know. :wink:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member

This is exactly why I never even bother trying to build come-ups or drop tables based on the published numbers. Seldom do they work out close enough for field work in the real world.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,544 Senior Member
    The last deer I shot with this gun was at 123 yards using the 250gr Hornady XTP. This round is supposedly not designed for the velocity the .460 S&W generates. Well, my goal is to disprove that theory.

Great write up as usual but I want to point out that Hornady's concern about the XTP isn't as much about the velocity as it is the pressure. They make an XTP mag that has a thicker jacket to withstand the higher pressure of a 460 or a 454 casull. Their concern is that the high pressure will make the bullet obturate to, two, too much and seal the bore too effectively and let the pressure spike a little too high. It looks like the bullet works well but you don't really know what's happening in the chamber as the magic's happening.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    ^^^ That's what I had read about as well. Not sure, but maybe more of an issue with the revolvers as I understand it. Possible increased flame cutting of the forcing cone and top strap of the revolver. I never shot anything but 240 and 300 grain XTP mags out of mine while I had it, so I don't know. Just what I had read.
  • wfslttwfsltt New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    I became disenchanted years ago by the veritable lack of information and opinion that wasn't bought and paid for by others.

So, I decided to generate my own. I will likely never be a writer as I have an opinion and am not afraid to use it even to the offense of others sensibilities and bottom line.

:-)

I've studies this subject for 30 plus years. The information has been available that long, most people refused to believe it. :)
  • wfslttwfsltt New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    BTW...Great report.
2»