Who needs guns when you have corn?

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,236 Senior Member

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    They will have to train to be effective.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,281 Senior Member
    Oh good grief!

I dunno how to process that.

Wait...I'm gonna start designing canned corn holsters now and strike while the iron is hot!
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    In high school (the drinking age was 18 then) somebody had his nose broken by a full beer can thrown at him from the upstairs deck. Now the force a middle school kids could throw with ... I don't think so Tim.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    That happened to a friend of mine, only he used a can of Goya kidney beans, the guy was walking away with my friends TV set stolen from his apartment, and my friend knew it was his from the numerous stickers, bugs bunny etc..... bang ! He knocks the guy out, they wanted to arrest my friend, however, the charges were eventually dropped.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,432 Senior Member
    If you give the fat kids #10 cans, it could be pretty effective. Just don't give them can openers.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,369 Senior Member
    The kiddies just need a proper launch platform for the cans:jester:
    http://www.xproducts.com/ar-15-soda-can-launcher-accessories-launcher

Sako
    Most fat kids give up if a can is not an easy to open pull top.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,517 Senior Member
    It beats the heck out of telling them to hide under their desks so they can get picked off one by one.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    It beats the heck out of telling them to hide under their desks so they can get picked off one by one.

Damn good point ... Don't just be a VICTIM ... FIGHT BACK!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,287 Senior Member
    Cans? We have something far more effective than cans! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUwpb3I98M
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,434 Senior Member
    All the folks who seem to think it's such a stupid idea.... I have a question for you...

What do the schools in you area teach students to do in the case of an active shooter situation?

I'm willing to bet it's the current "Run, Hide, Fight" that seems to be so popular now.

I see a school at least willing to make some sort of plan for defense, no matter how unlikely, better than a scream.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,287 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    All the folks who seem to think it's such a stupid idea.... I have a question for you...

The thing that's monumentally stupid is the canned food drive aspect. If they want to play that game, the local landscape store could sell them half a ton of rounded river rock cheap. . .and they could actually train with that just about indefinitely. Think about it - a school where the girls don't throw like girls.

It fixes some of the problem - throwing stuff is better than doing nothing when cornered, and it slows an active shooter down FOR THE GUN-ARMED RESPONDER WHO CAN ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. That the armed responder should be working on campus is the point that seems to be often missed.

It's possible that this public "canning up" is just a ploy to illustrate the need for firearms on campus. Then again, with the liberally **** thought process of the average public educator, probably not.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,281 Senior Member
    I'm not sure it is better than doing nothing. If there is an active shooter in the classroom, the kid that throws the can is getting shot first. Maybe for you and me it's better than nothing. If it's my kid that brought a can of corn to a gun fight, I'm telling him/her to take cover and or be a difficult target in any way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I think the purpose of the cans is to give the kids peace of mind. I doubt that they will assign rank and perform defense drills but just having a pile of cans against the wall will make the kids feel like they aren't totally defensless and if they are even slightly more at ease in the classroom, they are in a healthier learning environment.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 9,073 Senior Member
    This kind of reminds me of my work place. DOD Policy for an active shooter is simply to run and hide if you cant run.

Last exercise our office was told to lower the big window cover and lock the doors. If that was breached to retreat to the inner offices ie. mine, and lock that door.

As a group we agreed, if that were to ever happen for real, the shooter would receiver whatever was on the outer desks as he/she came through the door. Stapler, computer monitor, coffee cups whatever is there. Beyond that it is chairs, computers anything that could be picked up.

The kids hiding under a desk would not stand a chance of surviving some evil minded piece of crap hell bent on shooting them. Everyone throwing items at the same time just might throw the attacker off balance long enough for a teacher to brain them with a chair or stab them with a pointer, anything that gives them a chance at survivol is fine with me.

Of course my first choice would be to send each teacher that desired to training and issue them a hand gun.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,369 Senior Member
    Encouraging the concept of fighting back is valid...I believe a dry chemical fire extinguisher is a more effective tool than hurled cans of produce...not only does it remove the bad guys ability to see and breath temporarily...you have a rather effective tool to beat the miscreant with. The combination of a cloud of dry chemical and hurled canned goods could be deadly...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I agree, all jokes aside, resisting an attack is better than just waiting to be shot, I figure if many people are stoning you with cans, and spraying chemicals from a fire extinguisher, hitting the guy with the empty extinguisher, it is much harder to shoot anyone, eventually a good hit on the arm or head, maybe the shooter drops the gun and the tables get turned....

Also, it is hard for one man even several men to execute a large group of people bent on fighting back !!!

A fire extuguisher aimed at the eyes, I doubt that bad guy will be able to see to shoot anyone .
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,360 Senior Member
    Sort of a side track, but not really. I'd like to see archery taught in every grade of school. Great for teaching concentration, fine muscle control, etc., and can be used for practice indoors when weather is rotten outside. Have bows and a dozen arrows per pupil in each classroom. Make pincushions of anyone coming in and attempting doing harm. Since bows and arrows aren't firearms, they might be more palatable to the poophead libtards. The fact that field and target point arrows are lethal can be glossed over with some decent PR.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    When they outlaw corn, only outlaws will have corn.

Or maybe the crows?

Good one, cp!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Hard core cornagraphy ?
    I know, lol, but it is a start...... like electric candles because people fear fire, when I was a little boy, electric power in the Dominican Republic was dodgy at best, so you had a penny box of matches and a candle in your pocket, dangerous ? Not really more dangerous then me at that young age hunting doves in a sugar cane field, today people go too far in the quest to make the world safe for poofery....

Things were inherently more dangerous then, I would saddle a pony, take along a machete in a scabbard and a SxS for doves etc... too dangerous the hand wringers would cry.......
    There are only so many jokes to be made about such idiocy, but when I read the story, I was simply dumbfounded. How could someone be so stupid? Not only is it silly and useless, but should an event like a school shooting occur, kids who tried to do this would end up being shot first. Not that it makes any difference -- the idea is so goofy that I'm guessing that this teacher will be laughed at even by other teachers.

Thanks, twa, for the funny story!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Play baseball twice a year with the kids and keep a bat in your room, roll up a magazine, use a fire extinguisher, learn how to whack someone really hard with a stapler, or what ever but decide ahead of time whoever comes in your room to hurt your kids has to pay in blood or not. I'm not saying it's better or worse than faculty concealed carry. I'm saying do something!
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Sand Pebbles
    Capital Collins: Holman, I'll have you shot as a mutineer!
    Holman: Well shoot something!
    Amen Dr. db! Some of you are laughing about this news article. You have to understand that the principal probably has constraints on what he/she can (no pun intended) and can't do. New classroom doors cost a ton of money. The community/administration/faculty may be opposed to concealed carry. What the principal decided (which is most important) is to refuse to be a victim. I like the mindset and I like that they are teaching their students that mindset.

It doesn't solve everything, but it could be part of the solution.

If you don't think getting pelted with cans of creamed corn by middle schoolers hurts, I dare you to absorb a few Chef Boyardee hits from my middle school kids.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,593 Senior Member
    I think it's a fundamentally dumb idea. At what age can a terrified kid throw a half-pound of vegetables? Where are the cans kept when not being thrown?

I don't know much about school shootings, but I don't know of one where throwing a can of corn would have helped. Fact is, there simply is no good plan once a shooter enters a school. Locking the classroom door is about as good as it gets. And that's pretty lame.

Let's not elevate a really bad idea to a credible status in the name of something noble, like "don't be a victim."
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Well Gene, since most people don't need to carry a gun because they live in such a safe neighborhood and a safe school, a can of corn is all you need considering how safe we all are !

So maybe the can of corn is not so lame a defensive item.

I will always remember the NYCPD lieutenant that went out of his home unarmed, to tell some unarmed teens to stop making so much noise, they smashed his face in badly enough to require surgery to repair his skull with lots of hardware, plastic surgery, dentures etc....... why go armed 24/7 ? My neighborhood is soooooooooo very safe ! That is lame......
    Gene L wrote: »
    I think it's a fundamentally dumb idea. At what age can a terrified kid throw a half-pound of vegetables? Where are the cans kept when not being thrown?

I don't know much about school shootings, but I don't know of one where throwing a can of corn would have helped. Fact is, there simply is no good plan once a shooter enters a school. Locking the classroom door is about as good as it gets. And that's pretty lame.

Let's not elevate a really bad idea to a credible status in the name of something noble, like "don't be a victim."

Well, of course, your assessment is spot on and is a good summary of the stupidity of this whole thing. Thanks.

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a can of Spaghetti O's." - Wayne LaPierre