Arizona cop's body cam captures fatal encounter with suspect

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Wow, the cop was killed with a SA .22 during a domestic dispute call.

My :angel2: :angel2: prayers go out to his family.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15/arizona-cop-body-cam-captures-fatal-encounter-with-suspect/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,235 Senior Member
    Never trust a guy with his hand in his pockets.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Never trust a guy with his hand in his pockets.

No kidding, I think I saw the officers Glock on the ground in the video and I was surprised the officer let the BG get the drop on him.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    No kidding, I think I saw the officers Glock on the ground in the video and I was surprised the officer let the BG get the drop on him.

Bless the cop and his family and I hope the killer gets the drip. But the cop should have drawn down when the man didn't show his empty hands.

I'm of course stating this with zero actual LEO experience, but not showing his hands should be a red flag. It's however possible that the poor cop worked in a jurisdiction where you are never allowed to draw your firearm unless the other person draws first.

Regardless, LEOs everwhere need to watch this video and learn from it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    If the ROE are that ludicrous, then those rules should be ignored, "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six", comes into play.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    If the ROE are that ludicrous, then those rules should be ignored, "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six", comes into play.

Oh, I absolutely agree. But goofier restrictions exist for LEOs in some areas, as you well know, and are maybe getting worse in the liberal dominated cities like NYC or Chicago.

Self defense or self preservation regardless, if there were restrictive guidelines in effect, that might have made the cop hesitate. Maybe however the bad guy just talked a good game and sadly allowed the cop to lessen his readiness.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,235 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Bless the cop and his family and I hope the killer gets the drip. But the cop should have drawn down when the man didn't show his empty hands.

I'm of course stating this with zero actual LEO experience, but not showing his hands should be a red flag. It's however possible that the poor cop worked in a jurisdiction where you are never allowed to draw your firearm unless the other person draws first.

Regardless, LEOs everwhere need to watch this video and learn from it.

I believe the perp killed himself after the murder. With the same pistol.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Prayers out for the officer and his family. That is just horrible
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    For a time the NYCPD under PC Bratton? IIRC, had a stupid policy of suspects almost having to kill an Officer before a sidearm could be deployed, slight exaggeration on my part perhaps, but I remember the following incident:
    Driving through Staten Islands 120 pct, I saw a man beating down a uniformed officer and his partner a female, standing there doing very little, I was suspended at the time, but it looked like this guy was going to kill that officer, so I jumped the curb with my little Chrysler K-car, and jumped out 5 cell maglight in hand, I swung for the bleachers and knocked the perp through a loop, his partner hands me a pair of cuffs and as I am hooking him up, a bunch of RMPs show up, and a sea of uniforms and supervisors, big commotion mostly about who is getting the collar, I managed to slink away unnoticed..
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996