Wonder if this mall had a "no guns" sign?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,101 Senior Member
It's common for many FL malls to have such signs, in my experience. No way to check for firearm, however...

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-police-1-dead-2-injured-mall-shooting-173918969.html
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    I close my eyes when I go into the malls so I can't see any signs.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I close my eyes when I go into the malls so I can't see any signs.

Sound thinking!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Just wait until some fool yells Alli Akbar !!! So you can tell the gun free people, I told you so !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    It's common for many FL malls to have such signs, in my experience. No way to check for firearm, however...

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-police-1-dead-2-injured-mall-shooting-173918969.html

It doesn't have such a policy.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    It doesn't have such a policy.
    Well, that's good. I disagree with the other malls that have such a policy.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    I have considered a mall shooting as something that could happen. Considering the circumstances of why I would be there which is with my wife and/or son because I don't normally go to them alone, my first responsibility would be to get them out of the mall, away from the gunfire. Any interaction with the shooter would only happen if I had to be near him.

Seek an exit, egress the situation, and keep my family safe would be the basic plan. The notion of re-entering the mall to stop the carnage is just that: a notion. Malls have multiple entrances and exits, and the vermin could come out a different way while you're looking for him/her and find your family.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 311 Member
    There's an interesting fictional account of this kind of attack in Stephen Hunter's "Soft Target".
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    There's an interesting fictional account of this kind of attack in Stephen Hunter's "Soft Target".

I truly believe the events in "Soft Target" are so far fetched that they are only fiction. The article in the OP is much more likely all across America.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    Yesterday I found out an IWB P-64 will set off the anti-theft detector at the contractor's door at Home Depot. The third time it went off, I told the sales people why, and they just grinned!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,231 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I have never seen a no guns sign in a mall yet. Maybe because I don't look for them. What I find insulting are all the gun stores that prohibit carrying concealed in their premises around here, though I have never been asked or hassled about it. I think it just gives them the option of targeting folks they find "suspect".

The one I've been doing most business with has a sign that says, "We respect your right to carry concealed, we only ask that you do not draw a loaded firearm while in the store." I think that is sound policy.

The no loaded weapons signs are at all gun stores in my area. It's a liability thing, I'm pretty sure. I don't go by it and I don't think the management cares, except trying to fade a little heat if someone accidentally shoots someone. They've got that thin reason to hopefully put the onus on the shooter rather than the store.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    My LGS has a sign on the door stating that lawful concealed firearms are welcome, and judicious marksmanship is appreciated if required.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    The signs don't matter here anymore...unless there is a guard and a metal detector on the other side....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    With all the various types of LEOs out there, swing a dead cat and there is a good chance you will hit some brand of cop in some large cities, no firearms signs make little sense outside of it being a legal disclaimer for liability.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Just wait until some fool yells Alli Akbar !!! So you can tell the gun free people, I told you so !
    Problem is, acts of violence, especially in gun free zones just drums up more support for more gun control...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,836 Senior Member
    Yet another reason among many to avoid malls.
    Problem is, acts of violence, especially in gun free zones just drums up more support for more gun control...

For the Brady bunch & company, yes, but rising numbers of CCW applicants every day tell a different tale, here in Portland Oregon,
    LE sources say 1 in 6 people is licensed to carry a concealed pistol.