Hog Hunt - Which rifle to use?

BPsniperBPsniper BannedPosts: 1,961 Senior Member
Going hog hunting on Sunday with Hunter_1 and my daughter and need you guys to help me decide which rifle to use.

I've killed a slew of hogs in my life so the question is not what is a good hog gun. That part, I know. Problem is, I have a bunch of new rifles that I've not hunted with or taken game with. This needed to be rectified. They need to get blood on their hands. Hopefully, I will be able to get to them all this year but I need to decide which one is first.

Conditions:
Still hunting along trails and fence lines in the evening. Brush will be thicker at times with shots from right in front of me to 150 yards or so. Will be trying to catch them comming out of their beds in the REAL thick cane of the river bottom. Will be sneaking and stopping along the way. Listening to them popping cane or grunting and trying to plan where they will come out and cross the fence.

Once it gets late in the evening, we will make our way to a field where they head to feed at dusk. Set up on the field, the shots will be low light and out to 250 yards or so.

Size Expectations:
I've seen piglet to 300 pounders on this place.

So, which rifle gets to go first?

Which rifle for a hog hunt? 32 votes

.243 Compact - 100gr Hornady SP (3-9)
25%
Diver43orchidmanshawn1172justin10mmdeadeyeJeeperojrblack mamba 8 votes
.243 Heavy - 105gr Hornady A-Max (4.5-14)
18%
LinefinderHappySquidairheadMichakavJayhawkerfarm boy 6 votes
6.5-284 Win - 140gr Hornady A-Max (fixed 10x)
15%
JermanatorWORLD TjbohioWheelsman56Lerchess 5 votes
.280 Rem - 162gr Hornady A-Max (6.5-20)
40%
NNBigDanSSix-Gunsnake284BuffcotimcbeartrackerwildgenepardoggunwalkerHunter_13RD LAR007FJ 13 votes
"....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    What are the choices? LOL Gotta give us a list of available options to choose from.

Oops.... >.< Just realized it was a poll. Proof of what happens when you're trying to read with wife & children in the same room.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • U TU T Member Posts: 405 Member
    I like the heavier bullet with the 280, but maybe 3x9 would be better in 243 in low light? Can't go wrong either way
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Where's the .458? Barring that...I'm gonna go with the heavy .243...just because I'm interested in that 105 A-Max's performance...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    I voted for the 280 just because it sounded like it would be a fun gun to hunt pigs with!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    I voted 6.5-284, just 'cause I want to see how that bullet does. And the BP autopsy that goes along with it.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Where's the .458? ...

I don't know if my left shoulder is ready for that kind of jarring. Even from the right side. Might be.....might not be. I'd hate to be wrong. Besides, I've already killed a deer with the .458.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    While the .243 Compact seems the smart decision as far as rifle platform goes............I too am interested in seeing the results of all the A-Max rounds from each chambering. I can't decide which to use first. That's why I'm asking you guys.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    I'm leaning toward a field trial of the 105 AMaxes from the .243. I loves me those 6mm's, and I've never shot anything heavier than a 95 grainer from one. But, I have a box of 105 AMaxes sitting on the shelf that I've been meaning to play with for the past 3 or so years. A report from you would probably nudge me in the right direction.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I'm leaning toward a field trial of the 105 AMaxes from the .243. I loves me those 6mm's, and I've never shot anything heavier than a 95 grainer from one. But, I have a box of 105 AMaxes sitting on the shelf that I've been meaning to play with for the past 3 or so years. A report from you would probably nudge me in the right direction.

Mike

Well VOTE, ****! I gotta keep track of these things. :tooth:

(Yes, I REALLY want to see how those do.)
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    243 compact.
    1. It will be 'handier' for the shots from right in front of me to 150 yards or so.
    2. The scope will be better for the shots will be low light and out to 250 yards or so.
    3 100grs should be enough for the size/range of animals you are expecting, unless you want to kill them deader than dead.........

Oh, dont forget to take a directional 'mike' and recorder for whatever sound comes back from the time you squeeze the trigger until it lays down........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    280 Rem
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I don't know if my left shoulder is ready for that kind of jarring. Even from the right side. Might be.....might not be. I'd hate to be wrong. Besides, I've already killed a deer with the .458.

Ooops... I forgot about the shoulder surgery... Pssssst...just so ya know...a deer ain't a hog....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Well VOTE, ****! I gotta keep track of these things. :tooth:

(Yes, I REALLY want to see how those do.)

I vote for "Change you can believe in"............:tooth:

(Really, didn't notice it was a poll thingy.......just voted. Looking forward to the 105 AMax report....:roll2:)

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    Use Jerm's .338 Federal, Please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

I don't have any ammo loaded for his rifle and I don't have a zero. No time tomorrow to do either, though I considered it. But...............MINE COME FIRST!!!!!! :guns:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    ...............MINE COME FIRST!!!!!! :guns:

I understand, but, I did see some acceptable pictures of groups and I know how long it would take to load 3 -4 rounds and you COULD shoot more than 1 hog.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I understand, but, I did see some acceptable pictures of groups and I know how long it would take to load 3 -4 rounds and you COULD shoot more than 1 hog.....

You forgot the 'no zero' part. That requires a trip to the range. As to more than one hog.........I will have Hunter_1 with me. He will be after a hog of his own. So, I can't hog all the hogs. Unless we get into a slew of exceptionally stupid ones, I figure one each will be about the size of things.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    I voted for and would take the rifle with the 3x9 and the lead tip, much as I like the amax and the 280, the hunt you describe where shot could be almost at your feet would prevent me taking a scoped rifle with a starting point of six running an amax
    If the only thing you were going to do was set up in the field then I'd have a problem deciding, but as you arn't , I don't.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Hunter_1Hunter_1 New Member Posts: 7 New Member
    I voted .280 rem because I'm interested in the results of the 162g A-MAX.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,741 Senior Member
    bloody the super it's long enough to be considered a rifle.....MAN UP
    Weatherby wrote: »
    bloody the super it's long enough to be considered a rifle.....MAN UP

Already considered that for the up close and personal cane work.. Which bullet was it zeroed with?
    the loads were close enough on there POI it won't matter but the 270 GD were it
    I'll be watching
    Ok, so here is the tentative plan after talking with Hunter_1.............

He and I are both interested in the 7mm 162gr A-Max performance. He has a 7 Mag that he just got those bullets for and hasn't begun load work. We want to see how they make things dead. So, he will use my heavy barrel .280 Remington with the 162gr A-Max. While we are stalking/sitting the road along the river bottom fence line, he will have first shot as they come out of the cane.

I'll have my 10.5" Blackhawk in the event they pop out right in front of us or we end up getting in some thick mess.

Once we get to the field, I'll be using the .243 Heavy with 105gr A-Max. The scope is good in low light and the field is better suited for it's usage. There, I'll have first shot. I REALLY want to pop something with that rifle!

In either location, should a bunch of hogs show up, we will obviously try a synchronized shot with the rifles and drop two of the suckers. Granted I have time to set up my heavy artillery. At 18 pounds, I won't be snap shooting off hand with that beast.

I think this plan will work. It factors in 3 guns which need to kill something. I get to use a rifle built by my Mentor and see how the 105s do. Hunter_1 gets to test the 162gr A-Max that he will be loading in his own rifle later. In the even of fixing bayonets......I'll defend us from the porcine hordes with the Blackhawk.

My daughter will be there the whole time to cheer us on and keep us from running away like scaredy cats. She's been begging me to take her hog hunting. She wants to see a pig something fierce.
    go get em killer
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    While my first choice isn't on the list, nor is it ready for show time, I am also a huge fan of 6.5's. I am interested to see how that 140gr. A-Max performs.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    While my first choice isn't on the list, nor is it ready for show time, I am also a huge fan of 6.5's. I am interested to see how that 140gr. A-Max performs.

I still plan on nailing a pig with your Ruger. I just want it to be her maiden voyage after getting all dolled up and dialed in. Besides, I want to use the Scirroccos for that.

I too want to see the 6.5 strike gold. But that's my deer rifle. Like to see it take a deer right out of the gate. Plus, the 10x scope might be a pain in these conditions.

Not ready yet! I really really want to use the Swift bullet for it and we don't have a load developed for that quite yet. After we get it bedded, a load developed, and that 20x target scope off it and the 1.75x6 on it, we will be ready. It would be an ideal rifle if he chooses to play in that thick stuff.
    Great minds think alike. Then there is us. :tooth:
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Great minds think alike. Then there is us. :tooth:

Yeah, I want the trophy shot to be with your scope and the new paint job. That will look sweet!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    I voted .280 Rem purely because I know you're dying to use it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.