Hog Hunt - Which rifle to use?

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,031 Senior Member
    .280 Rem - 162gr Hornady A-Max (6.5-20)
    I voted .280 Rem. because it was the biggest. But actually, and you know this, anything that will kill a whitetail will kill most any hog. I think a .243 will kill a hog just as dead and more importantly just as fast as a .280, with the right bullet and shot placement of course.

And that 6.5x284 will do it very well also. I know people that kill them with .300 Win. Mags. and I know people that kill them with .223s and they all kill them just as dead and I don't know of anyone who has been eaten by a charging boar yet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,051 Senior Member
    Go big and kill cleanly.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Not ready yet! I really really want to use the Swift bullet for it and we don't have a load developed for that quite yet. After we get it bedded, a load developed, and that 20x target scope off it and the 1.75x6 on it, we will be ready. It would be an ideal rifle if he chooses to play in that thick stuff.

I was just trying to be a good little enabler. You guys are holding MY feet to the fire with your project, I have not reloaded 1 round for my .338 Federal.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,761 Senior Member
    Have you ever killed one with just a pointed stick? If not, why not try that. At least it would be a new experience.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    .243 Compact - 100gr Hornady SP (3-9)
    Don't forget to post plenty pics if you get some pork.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Have you ever killed one with just a pointed stick? If not, why not try that. At least it would be a new experience.

Knife, yes. Pointed stick......no. I used a tree branch once. And a tire iron another time (actually, I held the pig down and my buddy used the tire iron). But still no pointed stick.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,517 Senior Member
    6.5-284 Win - 140gr Hornady A-Max (fixed 10x)
    BP- Have you ever used one of your own hand loads on game yet, or is this your first time out with them?
    Jermanator wrote: »
    BP- Have you ever used one of your own hand loads on game yet, or is this your first time out with them?

This will be the first outting.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    Awesome! I am excited now.
    Me too. Both the .243 I'll use and the .280 Hunter_1 will use are loaded with mu handloads. I'm stoked to see them work. Will be cool.
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    I voted .243 compact mainly because of the lower powered variable scope.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,888 Senior Member
    I feel your pain. I am going on a pig hunt in four weeks, and I am deciding between my Sks with peep sights with 123gr sp.'s, and my 30 06 with 150 gr SP. I am taking both because one is a brush gun out to 75 yards and the other is good to 150.

I vote .280.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I voted .243 compact mainly because of the lower powered variable scope.

That makes a lot of sense and I would normally agree. But then, I'm not known for doing sensible things. That rifle would be a perfect choice for this hunt and I am sorely tempted to grab it.

Guess it boils down to desiring to test some particular bullets and wanting to use a rifle my Mentor built. Doesn't make sense really. Even my Mentor thought I was crazy to take the Heavy .243. "Why not use the Whelen? That's why I built it for you!", he told me today. But I've already used the Whelen on pigs and the compact .243 is a factory gun.
    Heading out to put the guns to the test and hopefully slay some hogs............................
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,879 Senior Member
    Results man we expect reults....don't forget the 44 you can carry it Mexican style
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    May be in the minority, but I don't like such peashooters for hogs. No, they're not bullet proof but certainly a little heavier of flesh and bone than whitetail.

A 150 plus grain bullet would be fine. I'd use a .30-30, .270 out of my current stable. Thus, I voted for the .280.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,287 Senior Member
    While pigs aren't exactly a pack of hyaenas, they can be dangerous, and you're taking your kid along. This requires some thinking.

Normally, I'd be all about the bigger bullets in your .280 and 6.5, but you've converted the .280 into a single shot, and both of those guns have WAAAAAY too much glass on top to use effectively at bayonet range.

So, of what you list, .243 heavy tentatively gets the nod. I like the bigger bullet, but if you feel the .243 light is a better handling gun that lets you get on scope faster, acquisition may trump the slight edge in penetration.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Well, we didn't get a pig. But we did see some.

Had a good time visiting with the rancher. Sat in his house and listened to old stories. Drove around in his jeep to see the lay of the land. He's a tough'ol guy with a great heart. As soon as we pulled up, he had a pig skull waiting for my daughter. Wanted her to have it. Then he gave her a huge fossil shell he'd found on his place. She was thrilled.

After visiting, we went out walking on the place. Came accross the bones of a cow and my daughter had to have one. Of course, she picked the biggest one she could find.
    10-11HogHunt8.jpg

10-11HogHunt12.jpg

Walked the fence line and field edges. Saw some deer and a coyote. Would have liked to get the coyote, but my daughter didn't have her ear protection on and by the time I could get her attention, it took off. Such is hunting with kiddos.

Once it got later, we sat on the fence line and waited for dusk. Saw one pig before dark. Just couldn't shoot it without getting in trouble. Though I asked.
    10-11HogHunt22.jpg

Had the rifles ready but nothing else came out.
    10-11HogHunt18.jpg

10-11HogHunt23.jpg

10-11HogHunt24.jpg

I wasn't hearing the hogs in the cane like normal. So, we got up and started heading towards the field. Once we had gone a couple hundred yards, I heard the cane breaking and grunting. We set up and waited. They were grunting and making all sorts of ruckus. We could see the tops of the cane moving about 5-10 yards in. They were right in our laps!!!!! Just couldn't see them in the cane. The sun went down and it was getting dark fast. Finally, about 30 yards away, the barely percievable black shapes started coming out. But.......it was just flat too dark.

They don't survive in a farming ranch by being stupid. They know they are safer in the dark and have learned not to come out of the protection of the cane until then. Had I thought about it, I should have gotten my flashlight out of my pack and lit them up for Hunter_1 to shoot. They were just so close, I was afraid to spook them opening my ruck.

We'll get them next time.
    You wouldn't even have had to get that one pig stuffed. Perfect!

Oh well, it still looks like it was a great day. There will be a next time.
    Yeah, it was a good time. Gonna go again but will wait until it cools off. The skeeters were HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!
    I keep forgetting that you folks live in different climates. I haven't seen them in a loooooong time and about 1/2 the leaves are off the trees now.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,369 Senior Member
    .243 Heavy - 105gr Hornady A-Max (4.5-14)
    Quite the little predator you're growing there Brother...Good on ya!...
    Even with a no joy on the pigs, looks like a great time with younguns and friends...no better way to spend an evening...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Quite the little predator you're growing there Brother...Good on ya!...
    Even with a no joy on the pigs, looks like a great time with younguns and friends...no better way to spend an evening...

+1 Looks like it was a great afternoon!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,879 Senior Member
    Man is she daddy's girl or what
    I know you can't pick favorites and all
    Sounds like a great time

They were grunting and making all sorts of ruckus. We could see the tops of the cane moving about 5-10 yards in. They were right in our laps!!!!! Just couldn't see them

That's bear hunting up my way....Ready yet?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,491 Senior Member
    .243 Heavy - 105gr Hornady A-Max (4.5-14)
    I know I am too late, but I voted .243 Heavy. That rifle is SWEET!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    Good to see hunting pictures, hope all those skeeters flew south from MN never to return, could you post a picture of the fossil?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Looks like you brought two rifles. What did you settle on? Both .243's?
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    Looks like you brought two rifles. What did you settle on? Both .243's?

I had my Heavy .243 and Hunter_1 used my heavy barrel .280 Rem. Alas, darkness overtook us and it didn't matter WHAT we had.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    .....could you post a picture of the fossil?

FossilShell.jpg
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,031 Senior Member
    Ahh, it's either a fossilised Guitar Pick or a fossilissed Genuine Caveman Hearing Aide, but I can't tell which it is yet because I don't have a good perspective of it's size.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.