Dashboard camera video shows man killed by NJ police raising his hands

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,985 Senior Member
Not much heard about this incident, was the shooting officer also black..............shouldn't make any difference.

A gun was in the glove box, I'm not sure what all was going on here.

Guy didn't obey directions, but had his hands up??????

The article says bot officers fired........................

"The video of the Dec. 30 killing of Jerame Reid in Bridgeton, a struggling, mostly minority city of 25,000 people just south of Philadelphia, was released this week"

Hmmm a Jaguar running a stop sign in such a poor community would draw attention.........

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/22/dashboard-camera-video-shows-man-shot-by-nj-police-raising-his-hands/

NJ can kiss my ass, only cops and criminals seem to have guns........................I know law abiding citizens are under very restrictive gun laws....don't even drive through that cesspool with legally owned guns.

My advice if you are ever stopped by police, just comply with their instructions, cause you are eventually gonna lose any confrontation if you let your pride/ego get the best of you. Complain later under different circumstances. Doesn't matter even if they are wrong and acting like bullies, they have the upper hand and you are at a great disadvantage.

By the same token if you were breaking the law and being obstinate what did you expect.................................
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Sounds like they were looking for an excuse to shoot him where he was. He tried to remove himself from any excuse to shoot him and was shot anyway. I'm sure it will be justified. Shooting Civvies always is no matter what the circumstances.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    While the initial report looks and sounds bad- I know that initial reports are almost always wrong. Ill wait for more info
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    They were against releasing of the video (FOIA got it), too damn bad, the public has a right to know/see when police kill a citizen. I know after Ferguson they are worried, but there wasn't one there or any that showed much except the aftermath or audio sounds of gunfire.

I can see holding it up until it is determined if charges will be filed against the cops, but if they were right what is the worry? Operating in secrecy or away from public scrutiny is a NO-GO in my book.

Was it justified or was the guy dammed if he does and dammed if he don't?????? I'm not condemning either side here as I do not know all the facts, I kinda lean on both having some fault from what I've seen so far.

But think of it this way IF the cop was wrong and they are gonna prosecute why then get all over TV and say he will be charged to quell any rioting and if he was completely justified, hell show that too. The appearance of trying to hide stuff from the news and the public just looks bad.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,544 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Sounds like they were looking for an excuse to shoot him where he was. He tried to remove himself from any excuse to shoot him and was shot anyway. I'm sure it will be justified. Shooting Civvies always is no matter what the circumstances.

Maybe you saw a different video than I did. What I saw was the officer on the passenger side repeating his orders several times suggesting that the passenger wasn't complying. That may or may not have been what was actually happening but the one thing that was pretty clear in the video was that the passenger was told not to get out of the car and he forced the door open (the officer appeared to be trying to push the door shut initially) and got out anyway.
    Trying "to remove himself from any excuse to shoot him" would be more like sitting still, keeping his hands up and visible, and following the officers instructions. The guy on the drivers side seemed to know what to do, he's still alive.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Al Sharpton won't touch this with a 30 foot pole. Black cop shoots black man...

Just my observations...

1. There is at least one known gun in the car. He's told SEVERAL times to stay in the car and not move.

2. He forcefully exited the car against orders to the contrary.

3. The gunfire begins as his arms BEGIN to move up, they weren't already up.

Just my 2 cents.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Maybe you saw a different video than I did. What I saw was the officer on the passenger side repeating his orders several times suggesting that the passenger wasn't complying. That may or may not have been what was actually happening but the one thing that was pretty clear in the video was that the passenger was told not to get out of the car and he forced the door open (the officer appeared to be trying to push the door shut initially) and got out anyway.
    Trying "to remove himself from any excuse to shoot him" would be more like sitting still, keeping his hands up and visible, and following the officers instructions. The guy on the drivers side seemed to know what to do, he's still alive.
    I could see his left hand up as the orders were being repeated. If I am complying and still am being threatened then I guess options are kind of slim. No matter how bad any of these shoots are they are always justified. Like the Optometrist that was running a football pool in VA.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

Just my observations...

1. There is at least one known gun in the car. He's told SEVERAL times to stay in the car and not move.

Just my 2 cents.

:that:

The officer and dead felon recongnized each other. The officer knew he has shot at police before. The officer sees a gun 'in the glove box'. Unless the officer has xray vision he didn't see a gun in the glove box unless the passenger had the glove box open! He forces his way out of car and starts to move arms....... are you going to wait and see where they end up???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,544 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    I could see his left hand up as the orders were being repeated. If I am complying and still am being threatened then I guess options are kind of slim. No matter how bad any of these shoots are they are always justified. Like the Optometrist that was running a football pool in VA.

Initially, I thought that his left hand was up also but then I noticed that the thumb was pointing to the left suggesting that it was the right hand of the driver who initially only had one hand out the window and towards the end had both hands out the window.
    And what the heck do you mean about being threatened and options being slim? If your hands are up and a cop tells you to get you hands up, then you have no choice but to not comply with anything that he says?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    The cop told the passenger NUMEROUS times not to move, don't reach for anything, show me your hands, etc. etc. etc., and the guy still pushed the door open while the officer was trying to hold it closed. The officer has already seen and removed one gun from the car, and with the passenger resisting him and not obeying his orders, what's the officer supposed to think when he forces the door open and stands up?
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

Just my observations...

Just my 2 cents.

Agree. Looks like you've got the gist of the video spot on.

I've been stopped by police more than many here, and a couple times by a very angry and pushy cop. And a few times, the cop had every reason to be angry, occasionally he didn't. But stuff happens.

Long ago, my scoutmaster (a cop) taught me the basics: Do NOTHING that you're not asked to do! Don't get out of the car unless they ask. Put both hands on the steering wheel and sit there and don't move!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    A trigger finger on the trigger has often resulted in suspects getting shot unintentionally, add an adrenaline rush and a fair amount of fear or nervousness, and someone gets shot.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    A trigger finger on the trigger has often resulted in suspects getting shot unintentionally, add an adrenaline rush and a fair amount of fear or nervousness, and someone gets shot.

A pretty interesting observation, and very likely what happened. Yeah the guy got out of the car when he wasn't supposed to but it's entirely possible that the shooting was, as they say, ill advised.

Best way to prevent this? Do NOT do anything unless the cops ask you to!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I also set the tone for traffic stops, I have my credentials and DL in my front shirt pocket ready to be presented, so no digging around is involved and everything proceeds on a happier note / professional courtesy etc....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996