ISIS deserves some credit

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,508 Senior Member
This came to me while I was in the gym this morning. While I was pounding away on the treadmill, I was watching the talking heads on the various Tvs. As they talked about the ISIS push and relevance, I realized ISIS deserves a little credit. ISIS was able to effectively remove Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI). This is something we were not able to do. More to the fact, it was not something we were allowed to do.

On another note - I am astonished that no one has drawn the connection between the burial of the Saudi King and the resigning of the Yemeni leadership...
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    One Congressman said all Obammny is doing about all the turmoil over there is repeating Iranian Talking Points....................yep they are kicking butt fer a "Varsity" team ain't they! Yemen is a success story to him and his believers.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,588 Senior Member
    I could be wrong, but didn't isis start as AQI? Or at least absorb them? I'm pretty sure they're a lot of the same people.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    A skunk (or a turd) by any other name is just as stinky. Who cares what name these clowns use? They're still best described as "targets"!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    Let U.S. Marines use ISIS methods and we would get similar results, better in fact.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,058 Senior Member
    Don't ALL these middle-eastern, moronic, mutant mutts behead people? That's all I need to know, so who cares what they call themselves?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    No, ISIS did not not come from AQI, though ISIS claims that Al-Zarqawi (AMZ) is their shiekh. This likely comes from the fact that AMZ used many of the same methods ISIS currently uses when AMZ was in Charge of AQI. AQI and AQ in general has distanced themselves from ISIS because of different principles and ideas on how the Caliphate should be formed.

Not understanding why each organization calls itself, what it calls itself is half of the issue we face on the modern Asymmetric battlefield. In the days when we can no longer burn the village to save the village, we have be able to define the center of gravity in the fight and attack the sensitive interests of insurgent groups without losing populous support. You have to do this to flush the target into a position for elimination. Just how we continued to take away options from AMZ, and then zapped his but while he was trying to stay in a safe house on the out skirts of Baqubah.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    No, ISIS did not not come from AQI,

I guess it's possible that the National Counter Terrrorism Center is wrong...
    Al-Qa‘ida in Iraq (AQI), also known as the Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) and more recently the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), was established in April 2004 by long-time Sunni extremist Abu Mus‘ab al-Zarqawi, who the same year pledged his group’s allegiance to Usama Bin Ladin.

http://www.nctc.gov/site/groups/aqi.html
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    You're not going to accept this, but yes they are.
    You're not going to accept this, but yes they are.
    No im probably not just going to take your word for it, but maybe you can provide more information to support your assertion that they're completely separate groups in opposition to eachother. I will openly admit I'm not an expert in this area and am open to learning more, but I need more than "you and all your sources are wrong".
    -DoctorWho
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    No im probably not just going to take your word for it, but maybe you can provide more information to support your assertion that they're completely separate groups in opposition to eachother. I will openly admit I'm not an expert in this area and am open to learning more, but I need more than "you and all your sources are wrong".
    well you know, if you like your plan you can keep your plan.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

I'm not an expert in the whole field area, but I do know the group is wrong. I have spent the better part of the last 13 years studying and putting pieces together. Why? Well because the modern battlefield is not symmetric. You have to know what threats you are facing in the area you are going to operate in. When your battle-scape is littered with acronyms, not knowing the connections could end up with you having a bad day. In a small team environment the comms guy picks up additional roles...Making radios work and stay up is pretty easy. Guess who I got to help.

Saying AQI and ISIS is the same thing is like saying BADR Corp and JAM are the same thing.

http://www.cfr.org/iraq/iraqs-militia-groups/p11824

Here is a fairly decent article that mentions how the connection between the two has been drawn, especially since the group claims AMZ is their Shiekh. I guess A correct analogy would be the differences in AQI and ISIS are the same as between the Shia and Sunni. While they both are Islam and they both started at the same time, they are clearly two separate groups that follow Muhammed and would like to see the death of one another. There may be former AQI leadership in ISIS, but AQI and other AQ groups have distanced themselves because of the ISIS "drink our cool-aid, or die" approach to the caliphate. While AQI was happy with killing Shiites, they do not relish in killing other Sunni's trying to further the Caliphate Idea of Islam.

http://www.cfr.org/iraq/morphing-al-qaeda/p16980
  • LanceLance Member Posts: 149 Member
    This has what to do with us in middle America?
    I have not read all your links yet, but AQI is very different than AQ too. I have seen that AQ is no longer happy and even friendly with ISIS/ISIL anymore. My feeling is despite whatever other tensions they have, they don't like being out shined and are also competing for donations and recruits.
    -DoctorWho
    I wouldn't say very different, in terms of AQ vs AQI. AQI fighters have shown up in other sectors to fight, just as other AQ sectors have sent people to fight with AQI.

you are right though, the AQ organization as a whole, does not like to compete for funds or recruits. It came out briefly in the news, but ISIS was/is getting a crap ton of support from KSA. I don't know how much of that was previously going to AQ.

I hate to say it, but all indications are that ISIS is the real deal. They are not a bunch of thugs, laying out violence for the version of their Islam, for the end gain of just achieving money and power. AQI, JAM, and most of the Taliban fit under that title.