Rossi 92 .44mag buttstock options...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,139 Senior Member
I have an older Interarms imported Rossi Model 92 .44mag. It really is a superb gun in all regards except one: the curved butt plate. Just plain "ouch" with my favorite full-house 300gr load.

Does anyone that y'all know of sell a thick leather cover for curved butt plates? Or another option to remedy my issue?
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,766 Senior Member
    A buddy of mine rubber cemented Leather in the crecent to make it flat, the bought a lace on leather recoil pad. Not perfect but serviceable.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Bag of birdshot and duct tape? :uhm:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,139 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Maybe they make it pink. To match his panties. :tooth:

Hey, them things is soft.

I have large shouders...the only two points of contact I have are the top point of the butt plate and the bottom one. No Bueno.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    Band saw will give you the exact contour you desire.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    never thought I'd see "pink, panties and pad" all in one post on here.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    never thought I'd see "pink, panties and pad" all in one post on here.

I don't think you have been looking hard enough.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    You don't want to just cut it straight and install a recoil pad of your choice?

Speaking of stocks, wasn't there a company that made nice synthetic stocks for lever guns awhile ago? I've been half heartedly looking for them.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    I'd get a cheap stock from one of the stockmakers with a shotgun buttplate and replace the rifle butt plate. That way you don't destroy the value of your rifle as you can replace it with the original if you ever want to sell it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

I noticed that this lace on leather piece did not receive good reviews, however there are others makers out there and I bet some type of foam cut to fill the curve, then the weather buttstock cover installed would work fairly well without adding too much to your length of pull.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    Lerchess wrote: »
    You don't want to just cut it straight and install a recoil pad of your choice?

Speaking of stocks, wasn't there a company that made nice synthetic stocks for lever guns awhile ago? I've been half heartedly looking for them.

Ram-Line still makes them for the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94.

http://www.ramlinestocks.com/ramlinestocks.html#Winchester
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Ram-Line still makes them for the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94.

http://www.ramlinestocks.com/ramlinestocks.html#Winchester

Forgot about Ramline. Thanks!