Anyone happen to know what kind of old revolver this is?

blkbird305blkbird305 MemberPosts: 219 Member
An older gentleman I know was given this revolver from a guy he knows. The guy found it buried in a field he was breakin up in Mississippi and it's condition really shows it. I havent seen it in person but I was told there are no markings or serial numbers left on it due to corrosion. Heck the trigger and hammer aren't even connected to one another due to all of the internals rusting away.

He's not too terribly concerned about it, just curious. I told the guy I bet a few folks on here can figure it out if anyone can.

6f2cc3dd-c23b-4238-9fb9-8a217699ea55.jpg

If yall need anymore pics of it I should be able to get em for ya next Sunday. Just let me know.

Thanks!

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Could be a Tranter, a Starr or a Beaumont-Adams... all have a similar look...

Without more detailed pics, I'm all out of guesses...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Could be a Tranter, a Starr or a Beaumont-Adams... all have a similar look...

Without more detailed pics, I'm all out of guesses...

Were they making copies of those in Belgium during the 1860s?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    OK- - - -it's a cartridge-firing centerfire, which would date it from the 1870's or later, a bit too late for the yankee invasion. The design looks vaguely European, so a search of late 19th. Century handguns would be a good place to begin. A few detailed pics from several angles would probably help. I'm going to guess western Europe, maybe Swiss, Belgian, or possibly French origin. Any idea of approximate bore size?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 219 Member
    Thanks for the replies so far!

As for the bore size, I havent seen it in person but I would guess the size is .38 or so just from the pic.

Anything I need to get a pic of that would help ID? It'll be Sunday before I am able to see it but I will do my best.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,042 Senior Member
    It's beyond ID, IMO. With zero markings on it, anything would be a guess, and not an informed guess at that. It looks bigger than a .38 to me, but I'm just guessing.

It also looks like a DA revolver as it has no hammer spur (unless it's been cut off) and no trigger guard, if it originally had one.

Hammer spring is missing, of course. I wouldn't be surprised if it were buried intentionally, possibly used in a crime. Maybe a folding trigger revolver?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    The hammer spur could have rusted off like the trigger guard and mainspring.

As for buried intentionally, dropped guns bury themselves over a century when the grass grows around them, dies and lays down. Lots of artifacts end up a foot down just from natural decay of surrounding vegetation.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain