My newly completed 6.5 Swede 98 Mauser

2»

Replies

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I think I have a quarter rib somewhere that I could modify.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    I think I have a quarter rib somewhere that I could modify.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/sight-rear-battue-tikka-sight-rear-battue-tikka-sku913-400-571-31506-59561.aspx

Might be someplace to start.

Sako
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    The Battue doesn't really do it for me. If I was doing a bolt action I would probably go with the Express flip sight and a barrel band sling stud like the classic Africa Hunters. Love the Nitre Blue and the Williams is classic and one of the best sights available. Many would consider the stippling sacrilege on decent wood it works and fits the Euro theme.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,497 Senior Member
    I don't know about 'classic' styling, or whether anything you've done is 'correct' or not...I just know I like it. A Lot. Beautiful work Caleb!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,700 Senior Member
    That is a beautiful rifle. Good job!

6.5x55 is a great chambering, and is capable of far better accuracy at long range than I would ever be able to achieve with aperture type sights. Do you intend to scope it?
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,766 Senior Member
    Behold the power of Google. I looked up Battue sights, I had no idea what they were, and there is calebibs swede in the images section. Ur famous you made it on google:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    bisley wrote: »
    That is a beautiful rifle. Good job!

6.5x55 is a great chambering, and is capable of far better accuracy at long range than I would ever be able to achieve with aperture type sights. Do you intend to scope it?

It's drilled and tapped so I can scope it if I feel the need to but for now I'm sticking with the iron sights. I've still got excellent eyesight so I figure I better use it while I've got it.
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Many would consider the stippling sacrilege on decent wood it works and fits the Euro theme.

I've got a serious "thing" for European sporting rifles so that was obviously influential on my design of this rifle. I need to build a Stutzen one of these days.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Behold the power of Google. I looked up Battue sights, I had no idea what they were, and there is calebibs swede in the images section. Ur famous you made it on google:tooth:
    meh, Google excess methane and you'll see cpj all over it.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,921 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    I've got a serious "thing" for European sporting rifles so that was obviously influential on my design of this rifle. I need to build a Stutzen one of these days.

You know how I love Mausers and this is another of your beauties. This is Classic to the Bone, even if the 6.5 x 55 wasn't a classic 98 cartridge.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Beautiful build. I really like the Euro style cheek pieces lately instead of the high ones, and yours is nice.
    The caliber is perfect for anything. Range report needed.

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    I know, I need to build one in some obscure european cartridge.