Got a new rifle, the Heym SR30 straightpuller

2»

Replies

  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    Oh no I'm not deaperate, my wife and I have datenight every Friday.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    The company moved around a bit/changed ownership, but was restarted in West Germany after WWII (1945) sorta like Walther...........so they have been importable for a long time now, just not a large market for them in the USA.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heym_%28gun_manufacturer%29
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    I gotta say the pics of the seal blood on snow and ice and the contrast and effect on viewers makes it a big PETA propaganda tool which conveys their anti hunting message pretty well.

    I guess they won't show many pics of whales/sharks and polar bears enjoying some seal meat!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    We should thank seal clubbers. A club lasts a long time...ammunition is completely expendable. Keeps costs down.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,041 Senior Member
    Norwegian wrote: »
    Haha, my english skills are not the best either, atleast when it comes to technical stuff around firearms and whatnot, but i try ;)
    it would be out of my price-range at about 5000 USD, but since my company wanted to get Heym out of the system,
    i got it for a mindblowing 1100 usd :D

    And Wizard 78, i would probably think i sucked also from a different point of view :P
    And a range report will follow as soon as i find some optics for it :)

    Nice looking and unusual rifle, Norge. BTW, "you suck" is meant on this board indicating jealousy for your fine rifle. If you hang around this board, you'll see it often. Plus "I hate you" and such.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,041 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I gotta say the pics of the seal blood on snow and ice and the contrast and effect on viewers makes it a big PETA propaganda tool which conveys their anti hunting message pretty well.

    I guess they won't show many pics of whales/sharks and polar bears enjoying some seal meat!

    And native Alaskans. Saw it on "Bizarre Foods." And, I guess, Canada. Seal fur is popular for fly tying, can't get it in the US, but it's common in Canada.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    Teddy Roosevelt had a pair of seal chaps.....suppose to be great in the winter. Wouldn't mind having some bid brown seal headlights my self ;-)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, you have a great rifle made by a famous old company. Let me be the first to give you the official sign :yousuck:

    I saw some Heym's in the 60s at Abercrombie & Fitch in NYCNY , they were all SXS, beautiful guns and great workmanship.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I gotta say the pics of the seal blood on snow and ice and the contrast and effect on viewers makes it a big PETA propaganda tool which conveys their anti hunting message pretty well.

    I guess they won't show many pics of whales/sharks and polar bears enjoying some seal meat!

    Yeah Chief and PETA runs with this crap. My question for the uninformed is what does hitting seals in the head with a club have to do with hunting?

    If hunters were allowed to harvest Seals legally with firearms it would probably be a lot more of a humane harvest.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,041 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah Chief and PETA runs with this crap. My question for the uninformed is what does hitting seals in the head with a club have to do with hunting?

    If hunters were allowed to harvest Seals legally with firearms it would probably be a lot more of a humane harvest.

    Not sure it would be more humane, and the sound of firearms would panic baby seals, which is what the clubbing doesn't amount do. Years ago when baby harp seal harvesting was a hot issue, I read in one of the Lib magazines about the Canadians harvesting (killing, skinning, and selling) baby seals, which are pretty much vulnerable and trusting. They give them two whacks, one for "PETA". They go through a lot of seals in a hunt, if you can call it that. This harvesting is very important to the livlihood of natives of that area, which was reasonably published by the liberal magazine. Native Canadians and I think Alaskans can shoot them for food and I guess hides, but adult seals are VERY wary.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yes Norwegian, I've heard of Heym. They are some of the best ever straight pull rifles. If I'm not wrong, I believe the reason Americans haven't been familiar with Heym is because they are in East Germany. And it was behind the "Iron Curtain" since WWII until the fence came down in the early 90s. Maybe i'm mistakened here but I know there are a lot of Germain products new to the West for this reason.

    I think I was wrong. That's in what was West Germany. But like I said, I have heard of them and I've seen examples and the wood work on them is a work of art. They're beautiful.

    Speaking of a work of art, I see Calebib has his newest work of art on here in a thread. His rifle work is truly special. Check it out.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NorwegianNorwegian New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Nice looking and unusual rifle, Norge. BTW, "you suck" is meant on this board indicating jealousy for your fine rifle. If you hang around this board, you'll see it often. Plus "I hate you" and such.

    Hehe weirdly enough we use sarcasm on Norwegian forums as well Gene, so i got that much ;)
    its a rifle to be jealous of :D
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah Chief and PETA runs with this crap. My question for the uninformed is what does hitting seals in the head with a club have to do with hunting?

    If hunters were allowed to harvest Seals legally with firearms it would probably be a lot more of a humane harvest.

    In norway we use firearms, but its tricky, you gotta wait until they breath, and when you see its on max lung capacity (highest in the water) you shoot, and then you hope it had enough air in its loungs to stay afloat til you get close enough with a boat to pull it up, before it sinks...
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    :topic:
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Oh no I'm not deaperate, my wife and I have datenight every Friday.


    That sounds awfully modern.

    Does the Wife organise it all, or can you choose your own date?

    Elk creek wrote: »
    Teddy Roosevelt had a pair of seal chaps.....suppose to be great in the winter....


    Do not tell me you mean something like this?

    Chaps-on-the-Tweed-Run-in-London-2009-e1276879835835.jpg

    A pair of Tweed Chaps.

    Or Two Chaps wearing Tweed.

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    These maybe of interest.

    (SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: UK Shooting Links.)

    http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/heym-sr30-straight-pull-rifle-review

    http://www.sporting-rifle.com/reviews/straight-to-the-point/



    No subtitles I am afraid.

    If you get bored with the cull, the SR30 is at about 10.34 and the .470 Nitro 17.12.

    Norwegian, I have seen them before, not really my thing.


    502_000000a66_769a_Heym_SR30_straight_pull_rifle.jpg

    This is the more better but I do wish you well of it.

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »


    No subtitles I am afraid.

    If you get bored with the cull, the SR30 is at about 10.34 and the .470 Nitro 17.12.

    This is the more better but I do wish you well of it.

    A diesel, crew cab Ford Ranger? Oh be still my beating heart!

    Y'all talk funny.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NorwegianNorwegian New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    shush wrote: »
    These maybe of interest.

    (SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: UK Shooting Links.)

    http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/heym-sr30-straight-pull-rifle-review

    http://www.sporting-rifle.com/reviews/straight-to-the-point/



    No subtitles I am afraid.

    If you get bored with the cull, the SR30 is at about 10.34 and the .470 Nitro 17.12.

    Norwegian, I have seen them before, not really my thing.


    502_000000a66_769a_Heym_SR30_straight_pull_rifle.jpg

    This is the more better but I do wish you well of it.


    Thanks for the good reading!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Oh by and by Norwegian, the '' No subtitles'' was not meant for you,
    orchidman wrote: »
    ..............apart from the lack of proper English language skills from most of the members ( with the exception of the guys from England).......


    A diesel, crew cab Ford Ranger? Oh be still my beating heart!

    Y'all talk funny.

    See!

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    :topic:




    That sounds awfully modern.

    Does the Wife organise it all, or can you choose your own date?





    Do not tell me you mean something like this?

    Chaps-on-the-Tweed-Run-in-London-2009-e1276879835835.jpg

    A pair of Tweed Chaps.

    Or Two Chaps wearing Tweed.

    I believe, to use the Kings English, the word is Plonker! ;-)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I believe, to use the Kings English, the word is Plonker! ;-)

    You are getting there mate. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

    No mention of the 'datenight every Friday' though, I see, what.

    PS

    The Queen's English, please.

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

    PS

    The Queen's English, please.

    I shouldn't but.....What, you like dusky baritones?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Norwegian wrote: »
    Thanks for the good reading!

    Nice that you can hunt with suppressors over there. It's starting to catch on here especially for night hunting pigs.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • NorwegianNorwegian New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Nice that you can hunt with suppressors over there. It's starting to catch on here especially for night hunting pigs.

    yes, but these days its come to the point where people look at you funny and you are almost not welcome at the range without one :P
    I have used the A-tec tmm 45 for 3 years now myself, but sold it with the weatherby vanguard s2 rifle in 223 to afford the Heym :)
    Btw A-tec is a Norwegian silencer brand. And it pretty damn good also.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I shouldn't but.....What, you like dusky baritones?

    Only in the best possible taste.

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    :wink:
    shush wrote: »
    Only in the best possible taste.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member

    Some old family items .......
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    That is indeed a fine looking rifle. What an interesting and innovative bolt lock up, the likes of which I have never seen. When you pull the bolt handle back, it must release the ball bearings to allow removal. Was the price you listed in euros or dollars? Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Not sure it would be more humane, and the sound of firearms would panic baby seals, which is what the clubbing doesn't amount do. Years ago when baby harp seal harvesting was a hot issue, I read in one of the Lib magazines about the Canadians harvesting (killing, skinning, and selling) baby seals, which are pretty much vulnerable and trusting. They give them two whacks, one for "PETA". They go through a lot of seals in a hunt, if you can call it that. This harvesting is very important to the livlihood of natives of that area, which was reasonably published by the liberal magazine. Native Canadians and I think Alaskans can shoot them for food and I guess hides, but adult seals are VERY wary.

    Thanks for the heads up Gene. I guess these libtards didn't get the connection that it was a form of native american killing the seals with bats. Native Americans get a pass easier than any minority with the libs. I'm surprised this is even an issue with them, seeing that Native Americans are involved.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,041 Senior Member
    I don't remember it being exclusively Native Americans clubbing seals, I think it was Newfoundlanders. By my use of "natives," I didn't mean Native Americans. Could be wrong, though, it's been a long time. I think seal hunting is legal in Canada for everyone who wants to hunt them, probably regulated, don't know. And it's legal for NAs in Alaska, I believe.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.