Weaver rings too large for rail? Problem today.

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,803 Senior Member
I attempted to mount a scope on a Marlin XS7 rifle today with Weaver Quad lock rings, but I could not get the base tight to the rail. I measured the base at its widest point at .825 inches. When I tightened down the bases they seemed to have a little play still. I took them off, tightened them to 30 inch lbs off the rail and measured the inside at .840. I have never had this issue before.

I took another Marlin X7 out and measured the rail at the same .825, so I am sure the rail is most likely the correct width.

Anyone else experience this? Should I just take a file to the inside or send them back to Weaver?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Buy a cheap feeler gauge. Use it for shims.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    If your measurements are accurate, the rails are undersized. Standard m-1913/weaver rail width is .835"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Do you have the little doo dad on the ring flipped over the wrong way

Clamp upside down?
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    Dan, just miked 4 weaver mounts , quite a difference

#57 .828
    #46 .833
    #50 .835
    #58 .840

I have a lot of weaver bases , what # are yours , if I have them I'll mike them.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Exactly what i said. The doo dad. :tooth:
    If it was backwards he would have recognized it by the proper terminology, dad-doo.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Definately the clamp side is right side up i checked closely. The rails are factory supplied with the rifle from Marlin. I just think the base of these rings are cut too wide.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Definately the clamp side is right side up i checked closely. The rails are factory supplied with the rifle from Marlin. I just think the base of these rings are cut too wide.

D

I have no experience with those rings, but can you make gross adjustment with a screw or something before tightening the clamp? Like taking up the slack before clamping down.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I called Weaver.

The tech told me those rings are designed for Weaver bases, so I put them on a Weaver base and sure enough they were a little loose still.

A Weaver base is spec'ed at .838 according to the tech on the phone. The rail being .825 is a "knock off" and not to their spec. However I have a set of Weaver Top Lock rings that fit secure to the base and they measure .821

They are sending me a replacement set of rings. We will see!

D