...and just like that, I'm tagged out.

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,224 Senior Member
It took some thinking to decide if I would buy another deer permit with under a week left in the Ohio archery season. It's been a good year and I already had an antelope, a mule deer and three whitetails down. While the antelope meat is gone, there's still plenty of venison for the year, especially after this past Monday's kill. However, I decided that I could make this opportunity more than just another chance to hunt. This hunt would be a genuine humanitarian mission.

Tonight started in a different stand than the one I shot my shed buck in the other night. This is a hang-on stand that's a solid 150 yards from that really good spot since I handed that area off to my buddy who has yet to score this season. He was actually hunting that stand tonight at the same time I was in my new one. This newer place I was hunting had far fewer trails and traffic indications, but had been corn baited by another hunter before I got out here. I decided to re-stock it for good measure. I was on a mission, after all.

Up to this point, I didn't have a single deer show up the few times I had put bait out on my other hunts. Tonight was a different story. Very early in the evening, at 5:25PM (less than 20 minutes after I got into the stand) a button buck showed up about 400 yards away and came charging to my corn pile on a dead run. He stopped to eat at the pile - 21 yards away - and I promptly ventilated him. This is the first time I've had an arrow-struck deer drop to the shot. He went straight down at the corn pile, rolled a few times, and stayed down for good.

This was the view from my stand moments after he went down:

Ohio%20Archery%20Button%20Buck%20-%2028%20Jan%202015%20-%20corn%20pile_zps9vbrnog6.jpg

I texted my buddy in the other stand and told him I had a deer down, but that I would stay in it until he was out of legal daylight so that I wouldn't spoil his hunt. When I got down and did the gut work, it was immediately clear that I put a good, hard shot through the lungs. Wounds don't lie - a broadhead to the boiler room is gonna be fatal in a hurry. This one wouldn't have gone far even if he did run:

Ohio%20Archery%20Button%20Buck%20-%2028%20Jan%202015%20-%20lung%20shot_zps8srwh6gf.jpg

That was it. Another button buck down and I was completely tagged out for my county. I went from a nightmare Ohio deer season to having two deer down in 3 nights (and a 3rd down two weeks back) thanks to the base's controlled archery hunt. I reported the kill via email to the base wildlife manager and thanked him for the incredible hunting that the combined 2-week hunt provided.

Ohio%20Archery%20Button%20Buck%20-%2028%20Jan%202015%20-%20deer%20down_zpsyybcbfhl.jpg

Now, why would I choose to go on this hunt and hastily shoot another button buck when I have plenty of meat in the freezer and have until Sunday to finish out the season? A couple on months ago, I met a really friendly guy at the local shooting range. He was very easy-going and even took me on private land he had access to for a fox hunt. Recently, I found out that he had been out of work for a while and just got a new job, but him and his wife were literally down to their last few dollars. He privately expressed the fact that he was actively looking to shoot a deer - legally or otherwise - to keep food on the table. As a Christian man who would never want to see someone resort to poaching, I didn't want it to come to that. I bought my 3rd tag with the specific intent to give him the meat from whatever I shot, and do so as quickly as possible. I am happy to say that this mission was a success. He was in disbelief when I told him what he had coming and extremely thankful. He's coming by tomorrow to help process his deer.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Excellent Luis. Of all the hunts you have posted up this year, this one is the best.........solely for the motives behind it.

Well done my friend.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,224 Senior Member
    Thank you kindly, Alec. It really felt like my duty to do this. I had already given him some meat from my previous kills, but really wanted to set him up well until that first paycheck comes in from his new job in a couple of weeks. I think they will be fine well beyond that with this deer.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I commend you for what you have done.

Thank you for being generous.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,257 Senior Member
    Tennessee has a program called "Hunters for the hungry". A hunter can donate part, or all of a kill to the program, and the processing cost is tax-deductible as a charitable donation. The bunny huggers and other anti-hunters I encounter really hate it when I mention things like that, and then ask them how much they have contributed to feeding less-fortunate people. Hypocrites!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    That's humbling, fellas. I really went into this feeling genuinely obligated to help this guy out. I would hope someone would do the same for me if the shoe was on the other foot.

The only bad part of this otherwise extremely timely kill can be noted in my quiver, of all places. If you look carefully, you'll note that one of the arrows is noticeably shorter than the others. That's because the deer managed to flinch ever so slightly at the shot, ducking just enough to make the arrow catch his shoulder blade. It didn't fully penetrate as a result, so when he rolled over a few times, he also managed to snap the arrow shaft. Unfortunately, that means I have to be diligent about cutting away a fair amount of the meat around the break point to remove the shattered carbon fiber shards. It's nasty stuff and you certainly don't want anyone cutting their guts open ingesting it.

Come to think of it, I'm extremely lucky that I didn't slice my hand open field dressing this deer. I'm fairly certain that the broadhead was swimming around in there somewhere!
    Teach wrote: »
    Tennessee has a program called "Hunters for the hungry". A hunter can donate part, or all of a kill to the program, and the processing cost is tax-deductible as a charitable donation. The bunny huggers and other anti-hunters I encounter really hate it when I mention things like that, and then ask them how much they have contributed to feeding less-fortunate people. Hypocrites!
    Jerry

Nebraska started a program under the same name and it has apparently grown a good bit since I left there. The only thing that chapped me when the thing first came online was the handful of people who were clearly trying to abuse it. Some of these folks were making some bold requests for specific and expensive "luxury" cuts like slab jerky and jalapeno summer sausage. The intent of the program is to give you a field dressed deer processed into basic cuts, not a $200 luxury eats package rivaling an Omaha Steaks Christmas sampler. The request starts to look pretty disingenuous when you start being silly like that. At least with this guy I am giving this deer to, I have seen his house and his lifestyle first hand: he's not a doper who pisses away his money and certainly humble enough to merit some legitimate help. Not only that, he came by my place to help skin that big shed buck the other night. That's the one big advantage I see to handling a gift giving operation like this personally: you know the precise situation that you're supporting.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Excellent Luis. Of all the hunts you have posted up this year, this one is the best.........solely for the motives behind it.

Well done my friend.
    :agree: :that:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That's the one big advantage I see to handling a gift giving operation like this personally: you know the precise that situation you're supporting.
    And one of the only reasons I'll donate meat. Around here, the "big" programs are too full of professional milkers that game the system to get as much as they can (and don't truly "need" most of the time)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Well done Six! Your a good man and I'm sure you see the results of that reflected in the rest of your life and family.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Six the old saying, what goes around, comes around holds true.

Helping out someone in need may or maynot come back to you right away, but some day.....

congrats on a good hunt and doing something nice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Have a huge program like that here as well. Farmers welcome many around here to help with predation issues. Nothing really postworthy though about our "hunts".
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,833 Senior Member
    Thats where most all the meat from our elk culls at the refuge goes....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Those cull/management hunts are a great chance to get meat in the freezer for anyone in need and cleary benefit the landowner (or the refuge) at the same time. They may not be sexy, but most I have ever heard of are extremely productive.

Also, I just checked my email and found a reply from the base game manager to my deer check-in email I sent him last night. This was a pretty cool/flattering feather in my cap:
    Once again, thanks for participating and doing your part to help manage the deer herd at WPAFB. I think it just goes to show that guys can be successful in harvesting deer as long as they participate! Of the 8 deer harvested during the controlled hunt you have accounted for 3 of them!!

He went on to state that shooting a button buck at this point in the season is still very beneficial to meeting his harvest objective and to not be concerned about it affecting the overall buck counts. By his night population surverys, they are counting 40 - 50 deer per square mile in this area!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Thank you kindly, Alec. It really felt like my duty to do this. I had already given him some meat from my previous kills, but really wanted to set him up well until that first paycheck comes in from his new job in a couple of weeks. I think they will be fine well beyond that with this deer.

Luis of all of us here you have your head and your heart right. I totally agree with Alec. This is great! Did your buddy score yet?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Congratulations Luis, on another successful hunt and for a worthwhile cause. You are a good man and your generosity will be rewarded, if not in this world, in the next. I use carbon arrows in my crossbow but I use aluminum, (Easton 21-17's), in my bow because I am afraid of the carbon shards you mentioned. I don't think there is as much chance of the shorter arrows breaking. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :up:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    snake284 wrote: »
    Luis of all of us here you have your head and your heart right. I totally agree with Alec. This is great! Did your buddy score yet?

Thank you, sir. As for my buddy, not yet. That was the cruel irony of my success last night. He sat in the exact same stand where I got the previous deer, had 8 deer just 65 yards away right across the creek and not one of them crossed the creek to his spot. Me? I had just one deer come in, from 400 yards away and through a far less traveled corridor, right into my lap. More frustrating for my buddy is that warm weather and rain came through today, melting all of the snow. He's out there right now and I'm pulling for him, but movement is a lot slimmer when the deer can feed anywhere they want vs. having to cruise for small patches of open feed. Thankfully, there's an 80% chance of fresh snow on Sunday, the last day of the season. If all else fails, he'll have a great chance then.
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Congratulations Luis, on another successful hunt and for a worthwhile cause. You are a good man and your generosity will be rewarded, if not in this world, in the next. I use carbon arrows in my crossbow but I use aluminum, (Easton 21-17's), in my bow because I am afraid of the carbon shards you mentioned. I don't think there is as much chance of the shorter arrows breaking. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :up:

Thanks for the kind words, Robin. Carbon fiber technology is definitely a mixed blessing in the arrow world. You are right about those short crossbow bolts being less likely to snap. They are more likely to penetrate fully from a speed perspective, are made from a heavier grade of carbon fiber to withstand the torque from the higher draw weight, and provide less leverage for the deer to snap them off with on account of their size even if they don't fully penetrate. I was extremly impressed with the performance of the Red Hot brand carbon fiber bolts on my first crossbow kill a couple weeks back.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Congrats and total respect for your generosity. I know Karma will smile back on you.

In Florida, we can't donate wild meat. It's a shame really. We could fill several shelter freezers with pork in just a weekend.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Congrats and total respect for your generosity. I know Karma will smile back on you.

In Florida, we can't donate wild meat. It's a shame really. We could fill several shelter freezers with pork in just a weekend.

D
    That's a real shame, Dan. It would benefit everyone down there if you were able to kill hogs and eliminate a rampant species while also feeding someone and enjoying a hunt all in the same trip.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    That's a real shame, Dan. It would benefit everyone down there if you were able to kill hogs and eliminate a rampant species while also feeding someone and enjoying a hunt all in the same trip.

More libtard BS control. What you can do though is if you know somebody that knows somebody hungry or more financially challenged, you can just give meat directly to people. I want the libtards to tell me I can't do that! I think I could find the backing to take that up the judicial ladder.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,723 Senior Member
    'Atta Boy Sixgun:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    What broadhead???
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    You are a good guy, and I appreciate the example you are setting for the rest of us. :up:
    Update: the fella came by last night and we got his deer skinned out. Given the cold weather, I'm letting him hang it for about 4.5 days in my garage and then we'll be cutting it up. He reiterated that nobody had ever done something like this for him and that he and his wife didn't know how to thank me. I said that all I ask in return is that he not shoot any deer illegally and that this would be payment enough. He is still holding a legal deer tag he bought before the financial troubles hit, so he can go enjoy a bow hunt through the end of this weekend and hopefully help his own cause. The pressure is off, so hopefully he hits the woods and has some fun.
    Grizz1219 wrote: »
    What broadhead???

This is the same 125 gr. Slick Trick Magnum I've been using for a few years now. Works great on regular compound bows and crossbows.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Slick-Trick-Magnum-Broadheads/745797.uts
    I love Slick Tricks!!!! Great heads..
    Grizz -

FYI - we finished processing this deer last night. After initially tossing the busted shoulder blade in the trash, I decided I just had to remove the meat and see what the Slick Trick did to the bone - as that one guy on here says - for science. :wink:

As you can see in the wide view, the arrow struck above the center of the deer's right shoulder blade, penetrating it at a quartering angle. It punched through, catching the ridge in the center of the bone, as well:

IMG_2217_zps3xadzwnf.jpg

At a closer view, you can see that the broadhead did more than just slice through. One of the blades actually cleaved about a 2.5" split in the bone to the left of the main hole. I continue to really like these suckers.

IMG_2218_zpss8bzd5zt.jpg
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Great pics. Those broad heads did wicked damage. But I still think I'll stick with my Bear cut on contact ones. But I'm almost out of those. So I may switch then.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    NICE!!!!!!!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Absolutely inspiring.:up:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.