I keep thinking I need a G-19

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,657 Senior Member
I'm not a glock-o-file, but I do like the one I have (G20).

I don't think a G19 is better than the XD45 Compact that is my favorite carry gun, nor is it handier than the XDs45 that I carry most often, for convenience. I've never even handled a G19, but I saw how well Hickok 45 shoots it, and I'm jealous. My grandson thinks I need one, too. It probably isn't that much easier to carry than my favorite 9mm, a CZ-75B, or my 2nd favorite 9mm (CZ RAMI) which is an outstanding shooter, but G-19 is striker fired, which I prefer for concealed carry.

Help me rid myself of this 'urge.'

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    This may help: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465768442

Once you make a purchase, the urge will no longer exist. Except for maybe wanting another one, but then that would be a different urge.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm not a glock-o-file, but I do like the one I have (G20).

I don't think a G19 is better than the XD45 Compact that is my favorite carry gun, nor is it handier than the XDs45 that I carry most often, for convenience. I've never even handled a G19, but I saw how well Hickok 45 shoots it, and I'm jealous. My grandson thinks I need one, too. It probably isn't that much easier to carry than my favorite 9mm, a CZ-75B, or my 2nd favorite 9mm (CZ RAMI) which is an outstanding shooter, but G-19 is striker fired, which I prefer for concealed carry.

Help me rid myself of this 'urge.'

Unfortunately, nothing can be done for this affliction.Just do it!!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    This may help: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465768442

Once you make a purchase, the urge will no longer exist. Except for maybe wanting another one, but then that would be a different urge.

Bud's Gun Shop has a Gen 3 for $504 - is Gen 4 worth the extra $16?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member

Sorry, I have No idea, I am not a Glock fan, have fired Eli's and Wambli's but that is the extent of my experience with them. They just dont fit my hand right. But, the Eli improved grip while ugly is very functional.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    No enabling from me, your either a Glock guy or not, I am not. I would go Springfield again myself, but all personal preference. Have you looked at the XDM?
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    You don't need a G19, and you don't need that G20 you already have. Nobody needs any Glock. Just say no.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 221 Member
    Sorry, I have No idea, I am not a Glock fan, have fired Eli's and Wambli's but that is the extent of my experience with them. They just dont fit my hand right. But, the Eli improved grip while ugly is very functional.

what is this Eli grip thing- I love glocks reliability, but I have to try hard to shoot 1 well due to the grip
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    what is this Eli grip thing- I love glocks reliability, but I have to try hard to shoot 1 well due to the grip

Eli claims to stipple grips with a hot soldering iron. Most of us think he makes an ugly gun a little more ugly but more grippy, too. :roll2:

He also has cut down a Glock grip. If you are really lucky he will show you a picture or two... :tooth:
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 221 Member
    truly a shame they can't make a glock with the grip angle of the JMB masterpiece
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member

On a .40, I'd consider it mandatory. On a 9mm, just a nice upgrade. The beefier recoil spring is gonna go longer before you start wearing other stuff, but on a 9mm, that point is a lot further off than on the hotter rounds. The Gen 4 grip texture is a big improvement.

The G19 is one of those great universal handguns: a lotta bullets in a still-effective caliber, low enough recoil for the less serious operator, big enough to be accurate and hang lights on, small enough to CCW, low parts count, easy service, and ya just about can't rust one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    They just dont fit my hand right.

They don't fit anybody's hand. They just shoot good, anyway. My G20 feels like I carved it out of a 2x4, but I shoot it as well as anything I've got. Glock is the gun I hate to love.

Wambli has a Glock? I was counting on him to talk me down.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I'm one of those folks who likes Glocks and more traditional pistols both. I've owned 2 Glocks, a 30 and 36, and they're both excellent firearms, 100% reliable always, zero misfeeds or other failures, and pretty accurate for a non-fancy compact pistol.

Glocks are a little clubby and squarish in the hand, otherwise they're just fine. They'll never ever let you down, and that's something few other pistols can say.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    They don't fit anybody's hand. They just shoot good, anyway. My G20 feels like I carved it out of a 2x4, but I shoot it as well as anything I've got. Glock is the gun I hate to love.

Exactly how I feel about my Glocks. I "want" to not like them but when I shoot mag after mag and zero failures or jams, nice accurate groupings, despite the boxy feel, I think "well, it's not a 1911 but the damn things just keeps shooting and shooting". And if you ever need a pistol to fire that one time for self defense, the darn Glock will do just that.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    My opinion about Glocks changed with the very first round I ever fired through the G20 - it was a perfect bulls eye, at 25 yards. I had stapled a paper plate with a 2" stick-on to the backstop. Thinking that the bulls eye was the safest place, I put a single staple right in the middle of it. When I fired, the plate just fell down. I re-stapled it and fired five more shots before scoring another X, in getting used to the recoil, I reckon. After settling back down, I then fired the rest of the magazine into about a three inch group, with a couple more in the bulls-eye. Since then, I have only practiced at 25 yards and beyond with it, and I'm still deeply impressed with the consistency I've been able to keep with it, and the fact that it needs no 'hold-over' out past 50 yards. The only other pistol I have been this consistent with is the CZ RAMI 9mm, a subcompact that I have shot full 10 round magazines into 4-5" groups at 25 yards (on my good days), with only an occasional flyer, that is still somewhere on the 10" plate.

I cannot explain this, because I'm not that consistent at 25 yards with anything else. I don't even practice beyond 15 yards with my carry pistols, because I don't shoot them very well at 25 yards, usually just hitting 'somewhere' on the plate. For some reason, I feel like I might shoot the G19 well, also.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    My opinion about Glocks changed with the very first round I ever fired through the G20 - it was a perfect bulls eye, at 25 yards. I had stapled a paper plate with a 2" stick-on to the backstop. Thinking that the bulls eye was the safest place, I put a single staple right in the middle of it. When I fired, the plate just fell down. I re-stapled it and fired five more shots before scoring another X, in getting used to the recoil, I reckon. After settling back down, I then fired the rest of the magazine into about a three inch group, with a couple more in the bulls-eye. Since then, I have only practiced at 25 yards and beyond with it, and I'm still deeply impressed with the consistency I've been able to keep with it, and the fact that it needs no 'hold-over' out past 50 yards. The only other pistol I have been this consistent with is the CZ RAMI 9mm, a subcompact that I have shot full 10 round magazines into 4-5" groups at 25 yards (on my good days), with only an occasional flyer, that is still somewhere on the 10" plate.

I cannot explain this, because I'm not that consistent at 25 yards with anything else. I don't even practice beyond 15 yards with my carry pistols, because I don't shoot them very well at 25 yards, usually just hitting 'somewhere' on the plate. For some reason, I feel like I might shoot the G19 well, also.

I have found the opposite with the G19 and G22. I have bench rested them and shot 15 yard groups and they were all about four inches or so. At one time I hade four G19's and five G22's and they all shot the same way for me. I like them as a gun for reliability and durability, but I don't see them as accurate. I carry a G20 into the woods.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I have never benched mine.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,251 Senior Member

I'd say so. With a Gen 4 you can modify the grip.

Glocks are fine guns. You just can't make them pretty.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,281 Senior Member
    Speaking of Glocks, the sights on mine have to be adjusted so that a little bit of the dovetail on the rear sight actually hangs outside of the groove, maybe 1/8". Seems extreme to me but that is the only way I can hit anything. Not just me, others have shot it and at about 15yds, it shoots 3-4" to the left if the sights are centered. Anyone else have to adjust them so far?

Consistant groups wherever it his though.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    When I got my first striker fired handgun, I was convinced that the sights were off. All of my shots grouped nicely, but low left. It took several hundred rounds of controlled slow fire follow-through practice for me to realize that the long trigger pull was the culprit, along with some recoil anticipation, I suppose. Since learning this, I've yet to fire a quality striker fired handgun whose sights were mis-aligned. It's possible, of course, but I always assume human error from the shooter, and actually have not needed to adjust a single one of the nine striker fired handguns I own, or have owned, or any of the other ones I've fired. YMMV, of course.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Go shoot a M&P 9mm. That will rid you of the urge to buy a G19.
    I got a bad first impression of the M&P when I first handled one, and I'm having trouble letting it go. They had crunchy triggers and felt like a toy (without a magazine inserted). I guess I should try again.
    Which M&P is closest to the G19 in size? The M&P Compact?
    Gene L wrote: »

Glocks are fine guns. You just can't make them pretty.

That sums it up perfectly. Someone here said a long time ago that Glocks do have a sort of Teutonic grace. Maybe.

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I just found a lightly used G19 at a local pawnshop for $450. You guys ain't helping.