Home Main Category General Firearms

So... Midway order came in....

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,493 Senior Member
Besides some supplies I got some upgrades for two firearms...

Revelation Model 60 made by Marlin for Western Field: got some Leupold Rifleman rings to mount a Japanese-made Bushnell Sportview 3-9x. Got the scope on my Remington 788, decided that I could use it for my .22.
IMG_4393_zps11966a73.jpg

Then I got some parts for my AR-15. Background: it's a Del-Ton rifle kit on an Anvil Arms lower. 16" carbine with a mid-length gas system and heavy barrel, Rock River National Match trigger, Magpul CTR carbine stock, DPMS fixed rear sight, and a Bushnell red dot on a ProMag cantilever base. Outfitted with a 200 lumen Streamlight TL-2 Thunder Ranch light setup on the lower starboard side of the handguard and a padded VTAC sling from Blackhawk!
IMG_4395_zps7d2675f7.jpg
IMG_4399_zpsda965b9b.jpg
To that I've added a Magpul MOE K2 grip since I use a short length of pull on the stock. I also used the sling mounting point on the stock to mount a QD swivel for the sling on the port side of the stock.
IMG_4398_zpse7c10ae5.jpg
Up front I mounted a MOE stubby vertical foregrip with Magpul's pic rail adapter. I've set it up so I can use it as a hand stop for a thumb over grip, or in a normal vertical grip use I can use my left thumb to activate the light. I also got a sling mount for the front that allows me to run the sling on the left side.
IMG_4397_zps8861e077.jpg

Wait a tic... what was that on the starboard side of the stock? A magazine?
IMG_4400_zps04264f66.jpg

Yep. Made a mag holder that attaches to the stock. With the length-of-pull I set up, it'll only accommodate a 20-rd. mag and allow me to fire the rifle. It's primarily built as a way of keeping a mag handy but not in the rifle for storage, but it'll also allow me to carry a spare mag. Made it out of kydex, it's held together with Chicago screws and held on with velcro straps. Seems to work well.
IMG_4401_zps9173f239.jpg
IMG_4403_zps58b30ab1.jpg

All up she's a bit portly at about 9 1/2 lbs. with a 30-rd. mag and a 20-rd. mag in the stock. Next step will be to add a Millett DMS sight and a lighter-weight barrel. The grip does make it snap to the shoulder easier, front grip makes things easier to index, and the left-side sling mount is right handy.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Looks good! :up: Also see you are properly using duct tape on the magazine. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Nicely done... :up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    For my uses, it's silly to spend $10-11 for three from Magpul. The duct tape mag pulls are distinctive, and I have duct tape because, well, it's duct tape!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Man, you guys sure can make up some Bastardized ARs outta stuff I never even heard of before, except on here.

Not criticizing, just befuddled at all the aftermarket options and how y'all use them and why.

How does it shoot?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I like your Marlin/Revelation model 60, own one myself, great little shooters.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Always nice to get new goodies to install on your toys, Looking good!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Your Revelation rifle looks like the Marlin Glenfield my father used to have. I like your innovative use of duct tape, from one Afro Engineer to another, LOL.............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Man, you guys sure can make up some Bastardized ARs outta stuff I never even heard of before, except on here.

Not criticizing, just befuddled at all the aftermarket options and how y'all use them and why.

How does it shoot?
    I've had this for 8? years. It shoots pretty well, never intensely accuracy tested it, but if I do my part I hit what I need to. Reliabilty's been flawless, only giving issues when NASTY grungy and running steel-cased ammo (it was a bit of a torture test.) I keep it clean and it runs great.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I've had this for 8? years. It shoots pretty well, never intensely accuracy tested it, but if I do my part I hit what I need to. Reliabilty's been flawless, only giving issues when NASTY grungy and running steel-cased ammo (it was a bit of a torture test.) I keep it clean and it runs great.

That part about keeping any semiauto .22 rimfire rifle clean goes for all of them. They get lots dirtier than their bolt action and pump counterparts. Add in a little lube and it becomes a nightmare after a while. Keep 'em clean and they work as advertised.

On the other hand, I've snagged VERY good deals on semiauto, bolt action, and pump action .22's that were for sale, and upon inspection BEFORE buying, noticed heavy amounts of oily crud gumming up the works.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Mike: the issue was with the AR. The .22 hasn't been shot in... a while. I stripped it down today, gave it a good cleaning.

CPJ: so I'm even cheaper than you?
    Overkill is underrated.
    cpj wrote: »
    Yeah. How embarrassing is that?
    It's not. I'm wearing it like a badge of honor.....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,957 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Even my tight wad ass would actually buy the Magpuls.
    I tried the MagPuls. They sucked.

He's better off with duck tape.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I'm thinking of getting "Minion" duct tape and redoing with that...
    Overkill is underrated.
    I probably could have used a better term than Bastardized to describe you guys Modified and Customized ARs.......not dissing yer choices in rifles, just not my cup-o-tea (yet???), don't take it too personal. :tooth:

Love you all, maybe not yer guns, though. :group: :group:
    Yeah, Chief, I was kinda taken aback by "bastardized" but then I figured: it's my rifle. I don't really care if YOU like it, what matters is that I like it. I've got it set up for how I want it, the rest of y'all can go urinate up a piece of twisted hemp.

Wambli: I seem to remember that method. I'll see how it works out as it is before I make any adjustments.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yeah, Chief, I was kinda taken aback by "bastardized" but then I figured: it's my rifle. I don't really care if YOU like it, what matters is that I like it. I've got it set up for how I want it, the rest of y'all can go urinate up a piece of twisted hemp.

Wambli: I seem to remember that method. I'll see how it works out as it is before I make any adjustments.

I like a fellow who sticks by his guns....................

Although it was ARs in general I was speaking of, not just yours in particular.
    No worries, they're not for everybody.
    Overkill is underrated.
    No worries, they're not for everybody.

I fired a few I was very impressed with, my late brothers and SS3s, plus others over the years.

Just haven't cottoned up to them....yet... as I say. I do have a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 5.56/.223 and an SKS that others may hold in disdain, but I bought them for me like you said, not anyone else.