Home Main Category Hunting

A late season score..

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,894 Senior Member
After the week I've had, I decided some peace & quiet in the woods would be nice. Grabbed my Shilen barrelled Win 670A 30-06. It has 9 rounds of ammo on the butt, Max loaded with Ramshot Big Game & Hornady 208gr A-Max.

The game forecast was poor for today, but I figured the fresh air & sunshine would be nice anyway.

The green fields are pretty pathetic by now, however, there are quite a few turnips left in the ground from the "greens" I planted .

About 5 minutes before the end of legal hunting time, a big bodied deer comes out ~60 yards away and starts munching on the turnips. Put my plugs in, have to cant my rifle some to get it in the scope. Light's fading fast, and since either sex is legal, I don't even notice if it's a buck or a doe before I send the A-max down range. (This is also the same field I missed that MONSTER buck with my cross bow back during bow season) At the hit, it rears up like a rampant colt, and promptly falls over on it's back.
I literally come off the scope from laughing so hard :rotflmao:

Then, it gets up and takes off running down the hill :cuss: (SS3, the same field you hunted, down the right wood line)

Since I had earplugs in, I couldn't hear how far it ran, or if it just fell off the edge of the field. Figure it's close though. Leave the shooting house/stand and go get my truck and flashlights.
Come back and drive to where my headlights are shining where I think it was standing. Quite a bit of blood :up: then I notice this chunk of lung tissue :up::up:deer1_zps0a31c065.jpg

Expecting it to be piled up just off the edge of the field, I bail off into the woods. Find blood... find a smaller patch of blood... find a drop of blood...

looking...

looking...

another SMALL drop...

looking...

another SMALL drop...

Then a BIG ditch 50 yards or so off the field... on the far side I see a large spot of blood. I climb my fat butt across and find this :up:

deer4_zps4eb9ce57.jpg

Apparently jumping the ditch got the blood leaking out better. The white you see in the above pic is a piece of the paper towel I was using to mark blood with, in case I lost the trail I would have something easier to find at my last know blood.

The trail's better for another 40-50 yards, then I find this.
deer2_zps5bf8f19a.jpg

Another 50 yards or so and I find her
deer3_zps48ae9326.jpg
That's lung tissue hanging our of the exit wound.
She's about 125# on the hoof, which is a BIG doe for these parts.

Total tracking distance was just over 200 yards per the GPS. She ran in a big "C" and actually ended up ~150 yards from where I shot her.

She ended being the longest tracking job I've had on a "good hit" deer that I've shot with a rifle. (Only longer one with a "good hit" was one the wife shot in the chest with piss poor bullet performance. I tore up my shoulder on that one 11/18/2012)

Since I knew I was going to be late to my processor, I didn't do any zee type autopsy, I didn't/couldn't even find the entrance wound. However, knowing it was a slight downward angle and pretty much perfectly broadside, the fact the bullet came out of her right "armpit" ~2-3" above her brisket, breaking the off-side leg, I hit 3-4" above her brisket around her left shoulder. Fairly close (2-3" lower) to the spot I hit my other doe of this season with a 150 Core-Lokt from my Garand and that one reacted similarly, except when she fell over, she STAYED down.

Can't really complain about how that 208 A-max performed, 2 holes, a chunk of lung tissue on the ground where I hit her and nearly a 3" piece of lung tissue hanging out the exit wound, but I am perplexed and disappointed with the fact she managed to run so far (and of course it was ALL downhill :cuss: )

edited to add clarify a couple of points and fix grammatical errors
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,775 Senior Member
    :up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    Thanks JH, after dragging me and her that far & UP 75' feet or so to the truck (found a way around the ditch though :up: ) plus 2 falls and stepping in one leaf covered stump hole I am one TIRED (and sore) pup

Edited to add: FYI, deer season in this county runs through 30 minutes after sunset 1/31/15
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    (Only longer one with a "good hit" was one the wife shot in the chest with piss poor bullet performance. I tore up my shoulder on that one 11/18/2012)
    For the folks who either weren't here then, or have forgotten (NN? :tooth: ) That one was a doe hit what I would call "perfectly" with a 160gr Hornady 30-30 FTX from her 308, loaded down to just over 2400fps. It "penciled" through the chest and showed minimal expansion. I tracked that deer 300+ yards and tore my rotator cuff when I stepped into another stump hole while holding onto a wrist sized sapling 100 yards or so into tracking it

I've since changed her load to 125gr NBTS @ 25-2600fps and the 2 she's killed have both been down within 25 yards

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    Glad you got a deer.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Thank you :beer:

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,434 Senior Member
    I am sure you will appreciate the venison meal even more after that drag:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I am sure you will appreciate the venison meal even more after that drag:up:
    The processor I use is a FT butcher and will add the fat content you ask for, since we have a "decent" supply in the freezer, this one is being completely ground with 20% fat added. 80-20 is the preferred ratio for making sausages and a LARGE majority of this one is planned to end up that way.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,128 Senior Member
    Nice work and good tracking. Every time I have had inner tissue come through a wound, it's made for one helluva' tough tracking job. Glad to see that lung meat didn't totally kill the blood trail.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Thanks Luis. I'm still dumbfounded about how far she managed to go with her lungs (and probably heart) damaged that severely.

My previous experience is that MOST "well hit" deer will make it 50-60 yards, at most, before muscles & brain run out of O2 and they fall down for good. This one making it 4x that has me scratching my melon wondering why & how :uhm:

edited due to pre-coffee typos

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Congrats on a fine deer AND a good shot.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thanks Mike

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Glad ya got one, hard to belive she went that far with half her lungs shot out.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Glad ya got one, hard to believe she went that far with half her lungs shot out.

JAY
    That was a shock to me as well

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Good Going Paul!

I bet with it getting dark fast and the distance she ran you must have gotten a bit worried. Glad you were able to track her down and get her out.
    It is amazing what knocks some down to never get up, and others to run for much further than you would think.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks Ron :beer:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    She heard you laugh and cide to teach you a lesson :tooth:
    :win:
    There ya go, the explanation that had eluded me :rotflmao:

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    Congrats - those suckers can be resilient when hit hard at times, maybe she was on a "dead run" so to say. :tooth:
    Nice late season kill.
    Thanks. With school cutting into my hunting time and it just not being a "good" year around here, I'm happy with 2 for the season.

She was #165 at my processor with 1 day left in the season, last year he did nearly 300.

edited to add: I just wish the mrs could have at least seen one this season.