SxS .45-70 Project in process

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,769 Senior Member
Well, it's not really a project, since all I need is a set of 1" rings that will fit on the russkie 11mm rail.

But, after wanting one of these for a REALLY long time, and being beaten to it by TimC, I finally had the chance to grab one. Mine is a New, Old Stock Remington MR221 (Same thing as the EAA/ USSG MP-221, just imported a few years earlier and has a Remington marking). Not fired it yet, just got it home.

Some assembly required

The 'Bidness' End

So, since commercial .45-70 loads are about $1-$2 a BOOM!, I need suggestions on a nice, middle of the road hunting load. Anyone?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,083 Senior Member
    40 grains of 3031 and a 405 cast bullet, for about 1300 FPS and pleasant to shoot, and will put down any creature in NA! This load shoots great in all my .45-70's. Or CPJ's cat load of 12 grains of Trail Boss for about 900 FPS, I like shootin' that one in my Trapdoor carbine.

Cool rifle!!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,772 Senior Member
    Envy, lust, and hate all rolled up in one.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Whatever you do, hurry up and mount that scope!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,769 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Whatever you do, hurry up and mount that scope!

This is your fault. I bought that scope when you posed it, and needed something to put under it.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    This is your fault. I bought that scope when you posed it, and needed something to put under it.

I have another one of those scopes just laying around in my cave. Now, I need something to put IT on. I hate you!
    What do those rifles run in price?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    How strong is the action on it? Is it rated to shoot trapdoor, lever action or Ruger No 1 / bolt action loads? Two barrels of full power 45-70 could require a trip to the chiropractor.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I hate the both of you.

Even just at trapdoor levels the .45-70 is enough to handle ANY critter in North America.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    What do those rifles run in price?

Now that EAA/ USSG has stopped importing them, the prices have jumped considerably. Back when they were available, you could pick them up around $750-800. Now, if you start looking online, they are jumping up to $1000 pretty quick. I found this one for just a bit over $800, and overpaid.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Scratch that idea then.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    On GB the low was $630 to a high of $850.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member

I've got only three words for you:

NEENER NEENER NEENER!:tooth:

The one I tossed at my dad for X-mas 2013 ran me somewhere between $800 and $900 as I recall. My friendly neighborhood gun shop's distributor had some new at the time. We started with Varget, but ended up with IMR 5744 as the propellant of choice for our cast 405's - better accuracy, slightly more speed, and less recoil.

I'm may suggest to him that we try the Hodgdon Triple 7 black powder substitute we've been using in BPCR guns. Since BP and its clones are intended to be compressed in the case, it burns VERY consistently when loaded right. I think that might help improve the regulation process, I dunno. . .:uhm:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member
    Bullsi..... :yousuck:

Concerning a load for deer, pick a 300gr HP (Remandychesterra) and some reloader 7, go forth and slay beasties.

Next time I load for mine, I plan on trying my 'wulf load of 36.2 of Li'l gun with my 20:1 cast 330 HPs. QL shows it being a "mild" load and well below ever "Trapdoor" max levels but giving my over 1600fps from my 14" Contender
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,766 Senior Member
    sounds like Zee is in love .......better watch out.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    That's a nice one! As to loads, anything in the 300-350 grain bullet range in Trapdoor loadings will do all you need to for critter dispatching. Varget has good velocity for 300 grain bullets and doesn't have high pressure doing it which will make shooting a giggle fest. Trail Boss for the cast lead bullets will have you giggling uncontrollably and causing other shooters to move away from the 'crazy person'.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Gotta love a double rifle!!! The North American version.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Tried some 300 grainers in min but it seemed to like the 405's better with 48 grains of Varget, They shoot good and don't bite too hard!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Tried some 300 grainers in min but it seemed to like the 405's better with 48 grains of Varget, They shoot good and don't bite too hard!

Find the bullet(s) it likes and feed it well! Varget seems to be a good powder for the .45-70 from what I've read; haven't tried it yet because I can't find it locally.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,287 Senior Member

I bought one as well, and I have nothing to put it on:silly:

Looking forward to the range report.

Sako
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Hmmmmm- - - - -does Baikal still make the rabbit-eared 20 gauge coach gun with the 20" barrels? That one might be a good candidate for a set of .45 barrel liners.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Looks like fun! Is that the one with the adjustable barrel regulation?
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmmm- - - - -does Baikal still make the rabbit-eared 20 gauge coach gun with the 20" barrels? That one might be a good candidate for a set of .45 barrel liners.
    Jerry

I am pretty sure the rifle posted above IS a Baikal made.

http://www.baikalcanada.com/rifles_combo_artemida.htm
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Unless you know how to regulate those doubles, you have to experiment with loads to find what shoots from both barrels almost parallel and to POA. I've been happy with factory ammo for my Merkel 9.3x74, since I don't shoot often.

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'll sleep better tonight knowing a TX resident will stop any invaders that get as far north as Austin in their tracks!

I like it, nice find. Are you gonna shoot it sans scope just to see how it does?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    calebib wrote: »
    Looks like fun! Is that the one with the adjustable barrel regulation?

yes it is. You can see in the muzzle pic that one of the barrels is pinned, and one is not.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,139 Senior Member
    Well, it's not really a project, since all I need is a set of 1" rings that will fit on the russkie 11mm rail.

But, after wanting one of these for a REALLY long time, and being beaten to it by TimC, I finally had the chance to grab one. Mine is a New, Old Stock Remington MR221 (Same thing as the EAA/ USSG MP-221, just imported a few years earlier and has a Remington marking). Not fired it yet, just got it home.

Some assembly required

The 'Bidness' End

So, since commercial .45-70 loads are about $1-$2 a BOOM!, I need suggestions on a nice, middle of the road hunting load. Anyone?

I. Want. Now.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    You be sucking Large Time. If that thing will handle the loads made for Ruger #1s, then you got yourself a certified Pachyderm gun there. With 400+grain solids coming out of the barrel at 1900 FPS I recon it will kill not only anything in NA but on the Dark Continent as well.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    Well, I for one am glad that you don't reload, because it takes a lot of time and it's easier to buy loaded rounds.

I still stand by that for most rounds. But when you get into $2 per shot (like 45-70, 454casull, etc…) it tips the scales a bit. Plus, I am not naive enough to think that the random box of ammo I picked up will match up with the adjustable barrel regulation to have the shots hit within 2"of each other at 70 yards. So I may need to tweak it
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Well, I for one am glad that you don't reload, because it takes a lot of time and it's easier to buy loaded rounds.

No, I haven't forgot. And yeah, I'll still twist that knife in every now and again. : tooth:

Mischievous PIXIE you! :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    Jason, EAA is in Rockledge Fl. I would think they could hook you up with some rings for that beast..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO