Home Main Category Hunting

coyotes 8 jeff 3

1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior MemberPosts: 1,648 Senior Member
Coyote hunting has been rough for me this year, one afternoon I took my soon to be sil and called in a double where he killed a big male and i had click instead of bang malfunction. Later called in another where he got excited and missed, and to end that evening had one booger on us at 200 yD's. Yesterday I called one in and he hung up at 300 yds so I crank the scope up to 10x and give her a try- whiff. Called another double after dark on full moon and leftover snow only to have them booger on us before my partner could line him up. Still having a good time but need to practice shooting against a full value wind with some yardage involved. Letting to many get away! Prefer last yearwhen most shot s were 80-100 yards.

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    What gun are you using?
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    Well it is hunting
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Sounds like an excuse to spend more time busting caps to me.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    I switch back and forth from savage 200 and a dpms heavy barrel ,both 223/556 shooting 55 gr nosler ballistic tip bullet. I carry mostly the bolt action when it is far to walk in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like an excuse to spend more time busting caps to me.

You may be on to something...

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,332 Senior Member
    It's been really windy out here the past few weeks....I've been using the 6.8 with 110 BTHPs...seem to buck the wind a little better than the .223s. Lots of coyotes around though....Have a few more weeks yet, then it will be pup time (which is our self-imposed closed-season)...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Coyote hunting has been rough for me this year, one afternoon I took my soon to be sil and called in a double where he killed a big male and i had click instead of bang malfunction. Later called in another where he got excited and missed, and to end that evening had one booger on us at 200 yD's. Yesterday I called one in and he hung up at 300 yds so I crank the scope up to 10x and give her a try- whiff. Called another double after dark on full moon and leftover snow only to have them booger on us before my partner could line him up. Still having a good time but need to practice shooting against a full value wind with some yardage involved. Letting to many get away! Prefer last yearwhen most shot s were 80-100 yards.

You said a Savage 200. Did you mean Stevens 200? I have one in .223 Rem. It is finicky with loads. I finaly think I've got it shooting pretty good witha 68 Grain Hornady Match bullet. I love the rifle and it's minute of coyote. For longer range Coyote shooting I do prefer my Rem. 700 ADL Synthetic .22-250 With 52 grain Speer HPBTs. Humming along at 3500 FPS the yotes are on the ground before they can even yelp.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    These dogs can be a real pain when they hang up like that. It seems that for every one that comes into your lap, there's 5 that won't budge past 250 yards.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    My bad -Stevens 200 it's ugly but has dropped a lot of coyotes and can keep 3 shots in 2 in at 200 yds , bought it before the accu trigger was around .

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 323 Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    These dogs can be a real pain when they hang up like that. It seems that for every one that comes into your lap, there's 5 that won't budge past 250 yards.

that's why they have 30 round mags for an AR- to chase those mangy dogs down with hot lead.
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Keep plugging away... We've got over 3 feet of snow up here... We can't do any dog hunting... Can't get out...
    Oh I'm not giving up, got another week while Bobcats are legal to take.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    One of my high school students was a world-class archer- - - -even tried out for the Olymcics. He could decoy yotes into bow rage and he was deadly on them. He used a ghillie suit and some sort of scent blocker, but his secret weapon was one of his grandfather's goats and a bird dog training collar. Make the tied-out goat bleat and dance with the collar, and the yotes thought somebody was ringing the dinner bell!
    Jerry
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 323 Member
    that goat idea is great- like a rooster in a cage
    I use something similar, ibougt the attachment for the FoxPro caller that spins and wiggles seductively . since that has been added to the setup the coyotes have something to watch. Will look into some sort of goat spray to add to the mix.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    My bad -Stevens 200 it's ugly but has dropped a lot of coyotes and can keep 3 shots in 2 in at 200 yds , bought it before the accu trigger was around .

I got mine since the accutrigger but I don't think they put accutriggers on Stevens 200s. I took my trigger apart and honed the surfaces. Then I put it back together and adjusted it as low as it would go without dropping the hammer when closing the bolt. It's right at 2 1/2 pounds. I've got lighter triggers but none any crisper and smoother on the let off.

I'm in love with that gun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.