My Moose Hunt

shawn1172shawn1172 Senior MemberPosts: 588 Senior Member
I won't keep you in suspense..... it was a fail. Damn. I had 6 days and we hunted all of them, between 9 and 10 1/2 hours a day. They were pretty damn scarce. My permit was for a cow only. I saw a moose around 10:30 of the first morning (Monday). Would have been the easiest shot ever- broadside, less than 50 yards and standing still for over a full minute. But I couldn't see it's head until it turned and ran. It was a cow but all I had to shoot at then was it's rear.
Thursday I caught a glimpse of one through the brush at the far end of a cutdown. It was gone before I could even bring my rifle up, much less tell what it was. Saw another one at about 10:00 Saturday morning. It was a cow, about 80 yards away down a logging road. She ran and I took a shot and missed. I was pretty pissed at myself for missing that shot. Running broadside shot, moving to the right. I held on her shoulder and fired from kneeling. No blood or hair anywhere. I definately should have made that shot. Just no excuse. Gonna be po'd at myself for a long time over that one.
The only other moose we saw all week were caught in the headlights before or after legal shooting hours.
There were plenty of partridge though and we saw a small 4-point buck that apparently had never seen a truck before. He just stood in the logging road in front of us forever, bobbing his head around, jumped around a few times. My sister and cousin got pics of him but my camera was buried in the truck.
It rained all day thursday and friday and early saturday morning. Not good for the rifle. Needed some serious cleaning at the end. The bolt had some rust spots on it but I was able to clean all but one spot off. I'll have to keep a close eye on that to be sure it doesn't get much worse.
Anyway, here's a few mooseless pics...

I brought the AR so my sister and dad could try it out. Definately wasn't hunting with it. As for the duct taped rear window on my truck... hit a big bump with the atv in the bed and it bounced up and took out my window. That was day two. Got it taped up before the rain hit that night. All fixed now.

Replies

• shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Huh, it only loaded 5 pics. My gf is giving me the evil eye now, waiting to use the computer. I'll have to finish loading the pics later.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Hey, not the only hunt that has failed to fill a tag, but at least you got to hunt Moose. I love getting ready for the hunt, going to the hunt and then the hunt itself. If it were not hunting it would only be shooting. Of course we like to do both, doing the hunt and filling our tags, but it is still fun to go hunting.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    At least you got to go.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    At least you got to go.

...and you got to see moose!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Shawn, before you mentally beat yourself up anymore, you had a successful trip Bro. Everyone survived and you learned a little more about Moose. It's all a process and it may take another hunt or two before you bag one. But then again the next time you go out may be your lucky day. One thing I think I learned from your description of your trip is that if I get a chance to go moose hunting, I want a cow tag. At least the first time or two. Success breeds more success. So I figure you have a better chance of getting a cow than a bull. And I would definitely want a chance of getting something to motivate me to keep trying. Nothing burns me out faster than going hunting for 2 or 3 days and seeing nothing I can shoot. After I scored a kill then the ice would be broken and I would be a moose hunter for ever. But until then Just seeing moose(I know it's not meese) just catching a glance at something I can shoot will keep me coming back a few times anyway.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Moose or not, that looks a good bit like heaven, to me. You had a good hunt, with good people. The country looks absolutely beautiful. Time well spent, IMHO.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    ...Just seeing moose(I know it's not meese)...
    There are meese. This cat hates meeses to pieces!!!
    MrJinxWalking.jpg
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    OK OK, I stand corrected,:rotflmao:, but I was referring to the plural of Moose, not mice, :uhm::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Some views of the inside of camp, my sister posing in the kitchen with my AR, my busted out rear window...

couple more camp pics- with my dad's sign in the window. We're not a fan of people who post land so no one can hunt it. Shannon and dad trying out the AR.
    She loved, dad doesn't get it. Although he did say he'd like to try one in .308. Hopefully someday I'll have one for him to try out.

edit- well, I don't see any pics. I'll try that again...

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    ...and you got to see moose!

:that:

and trees...

and deer...

and pretty scenery.....

Good for you.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    Aside from the miss I did have a great time. Even out in the rain. I was with family that I never get to spend enough time with. And I did get to see some moose and other game, spend time at our camp that I really wish I lived closer too.

Oh yeah, that ammo you guys advised me on- ordered it but it didn't show up before I left. I'll keep it in mind for my next chance at moose though.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Sounds like an awesome time!! :up: Sorry to hear about the window. That is a big atv for sure. LOL

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug