Home Main Category Hunting

Took a Whitetail Doe w/ the .358 Winchester.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,962 Senior Member
The general season is over, but one of the ranches I hunt/cull on still had some "Management Tags" to clear, so my buddy called me to come take a doe. So, I headed out after work to meet him at the gate. My goal was to take one with the .445 Super Mag, but I brought my MGM barreled Encore in .358 Winchester as insurance.

I set up on a Sendaro the deer had to cross enroute to a large field with winter wheat. Using the Spec-Rest and my typical ground blind set up of a veil and bush, I waited for the herds.

358WinDoe2-17-1518_zpsb9da21fd.jpg

Well, they have to cross this Sendaro.........if they come from that direction. Seems last night, they chose to enter the field from another direction. I waited and waited to no avail. The sun set at 6:30 and I'd not seen a single deer. So, at 6:45, I stood up and looked to my left over the brush and out into the field. Holy crap!!! There were deer all over the place...........on the other side of the field...........about 600-700 yards away. Only thing on my side were to large buck. Figures. As the clock ticks and I look at the bucks, I see a doe making he way along the fields edge towards my side. Maybe........just maybe.........So, I step out of my hide into the Sendaro and plan to move down towards the field and intersect the doe with the .358 Winchester. As I do so, I look to my right up the Sendaro where I'd not had a view.......there.......about 130 yards away.........up the hill........stand 3 deer out in the open.

The Super Mag is now sitting on the Spec-Rest in my blind about 10 feet away.........the .358 Win is in my hand..........the deer are staring in my direction..........I have 10 minutes of legal shooting light left..........so, I melt to the ground in the fading light and get in a Prone-Unsupported position. The largest doe in in the back and she's rather big! Quartering towards me, I find her shoulder as she lowers her head to eat something on the ground.

BOOM!!!

In recoil, I lost sight of her but hear an impact. Coming out of recoil, I look through the scope but see nothing standing in the Sendaro. Knowing I hit SOMETHING, I stand up and in the twilight before dark, I see her white belly on the ground where she'd stood. The .358 Win and 200gr Hornady FTX had dropped her on the spot.

Walking up the hill to her I take a moment to stand next to her and enjoy the twilight over some harsh but intriguing country. I thank God for my final deer of the season and the opportunity to be outside in His creation.

358WinDoe2-17-1526-Copy_zpsf4f4b9f6.jpg

She is quite a large doe for the area. In fact, the largest taken on the ranch this season at 135 pounds live weight. An old doe, her teeth were worn smooth but, she was still healthy.

358WinDoe2-17-1523-Copy_zpsc479e4ec.jpg

.358 Winchester
200gr Hornady FTX
Muzzle Velocity: 2,646 fps
Impact Velocity: 2,315 fps (estimated)
Distance Traveled: 0 ft

Entrance
358WinDoe2-17-1532_zpsbf2f6c18.jpg

Entrance Under Hide
358WinDoe2-17-1535_zpsccf8360e.jpg

Entrance Through Shoulder
358WinDoe2-17-1539_zps555c6273.jpg

The bullet broke the shoulder at the base of the scapula and shattered the bone.

Entrance to Under Shoulder
358WinDoe2-17-1538_zps0a115d31.jpg

358WinDoe2-17-1536_zpse094d562.jpg

The bullet made a substantial hole in the shoulder after hitting bone.

Entrance to Chest Cavity
358WinDoe2-17-1542_zps8150ed11.jpg

358WinDoe2-17-1543_zpsa695726a.jpg

And a substantial hole in the chest cavity! Breaking 2 ribs on entrance.

Path Through Front/Right Lung
358WinDoe2-17-1545_zpsf9814a22.jpg

358WinDoe2-17-1547_zps52cdffdb.jpg

358WinDoe2-17-1548_zpsd3daaab4.jpg

The bullet destroyed the front lobe of the right lung, the esophagus, and windpipe.

Path Through Left/Rear Lung
358WinDoe2-17-1549_zps94a0ac70.jpg

And left a large hole with secondary trauma to the left lung.

Exit Under Shoulder
358WinDoe2-17-1554_zpsbf06523b.jpg

Broke 1 rib on exit.

Exit Under Hide
358WinDoe2-17-1552_zps75e8f605.jpg

Exit Through Off Side
358WinDoe2-17-1534_zpsb1c7235a.jpg

The impact created enough hydrostatic shock as to knock the deer unconscious and drop her on the spot. The severe damage to the lungs, and windpipe caused her to succumb to her wounds before regaining consciousness.

A VERY effective bullet/cartridge combination.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    Now, some of you may be wondering how the entrance is higher than the exit when I was shooting up hill. Here is how:

she he was quartering towards me with her right side shoulder. Before the shot, she lowered her head to the right to feed. Being the downhill side, she had to bend her right leg in order to reach the ground. This lowered her right shoulder and allowed the bullet to enter higher in her shoulder. The angle now created by her lower right side caused the bullet to exit lower on the left side. Creating the illusion of a downhill shot when in fact, it was the opposite.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,098 Senior Member
    I think you need a sturdier bullet:), nice doe!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Another good writeup. You must have a pretty decent supply of game in the freezer by now.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Another good writeup. You must have a pretty decent supply of game in the freezer by now.

Thanks.

My my chest freezer and upright are full. I gave this deer and the one before to a buddy from work who has been out for a couple months with a back injury. He was unable to hunt this season due to the injury and appreciated the meat.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I think you need a sturdier bullet:), nice doe!

I was somewhat surprised at the damage caused with the estimated impact velocity. But then, it did hit a large bone on entrance. Still held together well, though. But, it sure out a hole in that on side shoulder!!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Great report, as usual.

The .358 sure got it done.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    That is one nice looking doe.
    Good job taking care of your buddy too.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Nice doe. Good shot. Excellent report. :up:
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Near-duplicate 350 Rigby magnum factory ballistics and results.

Very fine report.

How long barrel?
    shush wrote: »
    Near-duplicate 350 Rigby magnum factory ballistics and results.

Very fine report.

How long barrel?

24"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Great work with the .358! That's a nice, fat doe you scored there. Your buddy has to be pretty happy about that.

Very interesting description of the angle of impact/exit and something I've seen happen before when shooting deer on the rolls of seemingly flat fields.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,384 Senior Member
    That is one nice doe. Much Much larger than any to be found in Florida.

Once again, excellent report, Thanks for sharing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I stopped by my rancher friends this afternoon to thank him for letting me come out and take a doe yesterday. He said it was no problem. He then asked me to come back next week (final week for management) and take another deer. Gratitude rewarded.

Sweet!

Looks like the .445 Super Mag will get another chance.
    Biologist has now said she was over 7 years old.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Nice doe!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Great looking doe and excellent write up as usual.

I really hope the .445 gets to lay the smack down on something.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    I really hope the .445 gets to lay the smack down on something.

Thanks.

I hope so too. Though, I can't decide what rifle to bring as backup..........in case they are too far for the pistol or too dark.
    cpj wrote: »
    80 grain AMax.

Dude, I haven't even worked a load yet.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Dude, I haven't even worked a load yet.

You have until next week......

(Excellent write up as usual!)
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    As usual very interesting post with great pics. Glad you like the .358, as I've said before the .358 has always been my go rifle.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    You have until next week......

Hush, you!
    jaywapti wrote: »
    As usual very interesting post with great pics. Glad you like the .358, as I've said before the .358 has always been my go rifle.

JAY

I'm assuredly a happy camper.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,187 Senior Member
    Cool. Always enjoy your hunt reports.

I am surprised at the damage. I would have expected a 200gr projectile travelling at that speed and with the amount of energy you stated to have caused more damage...........From your pics it looks like the offside shoulder isn't damaged and 1/2 if not most of the meat on the entry shoulder is recoverable.

Was there any damage caused by the hydrostatic shock to the back steaks ?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Back straps were fine. Off shoulder was fine as the bullet exited behind it. On side shoulder had a pretty good hole through it and with shredded muscle around it.

Probably wouldn't make for good roast or steak, but it should grind just fine.

I really believe the "excessive" damage caused to the on shoulder was simply because of the bone struck. At 2,300 fps I wouldn't anticipate that much damage from just a meat hit. But then, it put a big hole on the off side lung as well.

Either way, it seems a very effective bullet on thin skinned game. Not sure how it would work on heavy game like elk or moose.
    Hornady rates that bullet from 1,800 to 2,600 fps if I remember correctly. Or maybe it was 2,700 fps. I'd have to dig up that thread about my Whelen where I called and asked.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Not sure how it would work on heavy game like elk or moose.
    That thing hit bone right from the beginning, kept trucking through, and then bust through some ribs on the way out. I think it would work just fine on elk/moose/black bear.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,187 Senior Member
    Did you measure the size of the exit hole in the hide?

Just wondering if it would give some indication of how much the bullet expanded....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Good deal!!
    Awesome about the return invite.

I'm surely itching for a 358. Yep. Once I get a few other projects wrapped up.....
    What do you think about building a .358 on a long action? I know where there's a cheap r700. 30-06
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Awesome Report.. Great deer... nice shot!!