Scope on a .243 (opinions wanted)

NotHisRealNameNotHisRealName MemberPosts: 57 Member
So I'm looking for a scope (and rings) to sit atop a .243 bolt gun.
Primary use will be target shooting, punching paper from 100 yards, and pushing out as far as possible (though the local range maxes out at 1000 yards).
This scope should also be able to flex into a hunting role, but isn't a primary consideration.

Expect stupid.
-Real.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    What's the budget?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,219 Senior Member
    Off the top of my head (and understanding your situation) I would say a 4-16x with turret knobs and fine crosshairs. Since it has to fill quite a few roles for you, I would not skimp on quality. Look for Leupold VX3 or Sightron SIII's. I have a 4-16x Vortex Viper, but have not had a chance to evaluate it yet. When I do, I will let you know what I think.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Nikon 3-9x40 should be perfect, I top all my rifles with Nikon anymore and highly recommend them for price vs. quality.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Nikon 3-9x40 should be perfect, I top all my rifles with Nikon anymore and highlyarecommend them for price vs. quality.

I would normally agree with you twa, and I own four Nikons, excellent scopes for the money. But if he wants to shoot out to 1000 yards or meters or however he counts em, if I were him I would get a Leupold VX-3 of some order of at least 4-14x50 with 30mm tube for that extra little bit of adjustment. I have a 4.5-14x56 VX-3L with 30mm tube that would be about the bottom of the scale if I wanted to shoot that far at targets. The cross hair is fine and it's sharp x 10. But your pockets better be deep because it wasn't cheap. That one with bases and rings cost me right at $900 mounted and that was a package deal with a rifle build. So make sure your pockets are nice and deep for one like that.

Now should you upon re-evaluation decide you might not demand something that will shoot 1000 yards, come back and ask us. I have a bunch of scopes that cost me a lot less than that and for normal hunting Will suffice you more than well enough. But you said 1000 yards..
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Yeah I missed the out to 1000 yard part. 3x9 is not enough and I have never attempted even half that distace so count my opinion out!
  • NotHisRealNameNotHisRealName Member Posts: 57 Member
    Zee wrote: »
    What's the budget?
    It's a hard question to answer. $1000AUD. But a $1K scope here might be considerably less over there.
    I'm currently open to all comers, and can refine my search from the details and suggestions here.

Expect stupid.
    -Real.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    If you were to buy a good quality medium priced scope, like maybe a Nikon in 4x18x40, you would spend less than $400 and probably be good out to 400-500 yards, before the thick crosshair started to be too thick. That would give you something to work and learn with, so that you would understand more about the equipment you need to double that range.

Of course, I'm one of those conservative types who would say that 1000 yards is too unrealistic to even consider, until you can at least shoot 5" groups at 500 yards, with consistency. In fact, you could probably spend a great deal of money and time trying to cut even that group size (5") in half, so that you could realistically have 5" groups as a goal for your 1000 yard dream.

Or, if you are impatient, it might be cheaper to just have a target the size of a house, and when you hit it, try reducing the target size to that of a truck. :jester:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I second what Jerm said, but will add that I'd go 18x 20x on the top end.
    A bad/cheap scope will be a huge hindrance shooting long range.
    I have several Leupold VX II 6-18x40 AO T. I think that's the minimum quality/magnification I'd go on a rifle I was looking to push to 1k.
    They're great scopes, and will surely do what you need, getting started.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    VX-3 4.5-14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    MULLER :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Without knowing your budget I put a Redfield Revenge 4 x 12 x 42 and DNZ Game Reaper mount on my Savage 16 .243. Scope and mount about $300 US.

039D9F30-3226-46EE-9B02-0875CCC153A9_zpsqjjm5pjj.jpg

RA115215.jpg

DNZ Game Reaper mount:

VW20200.jpg

Shot this three shot group at 100 yards:

F67D4AED-1DF0-4FD2-A2A5-E533E5A31B9F_zpswz1kdv17.jpg

And took this pig in November 2014.

C52392DA-D731-4BE0-BE54-A4EBF8D58AA7_zpspjfry8sb.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,347 Senior Member
    If it's in the budget, a VX-6 3-18x40mm would be a good choice.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    The Leupold 4.5x16 Leupold VXL would fit your budget and purpose. 50mm objective, wide field of view and the hump on the front lowers the scope for good cheek weld.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Without knowing your budget I put a Redfield Revenge 4 x 12 x 42 and DNZ Game Reaper mount on my Savage 16 .243. Scope and mount about $300 US.

How far have you shot with that setup?
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »

100 yards from a lead sled.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    jbohio wrote: »

I don't know about the Revenge but the Revolution is pretty clear out to 500 yards or so and the same with all my Nikons. They're all pretty clear out to maybe 600 or so. Scope clarity in bright light is no issue for any decent entry to mid level scope. But 1000 yards is over a half mile and you better have a good high magnification scope to be doing that. I agree with Bisley, try something a little lesser for starters. Crawl before you walk and walk before you run. For people who have never shot at that range they should try something a little bit less first to see if they want to put the time, money, and effort into shooting into the next Zip Code.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    100 yards from a lead sled.

HA! :fan:
    Freezer wrote: »
    The Leupold 4.5x16 Leupold VXL would fit your budget and purpose. 50mm objective, wide field of view and the hump on the front lowers the scope for good cheek weld.

I agree Freezer. I have one VXL and it is a fine scope. Though I tell people it's over kill for most normal hunting scenarios, but when you're stretching the yardage out there over half a mile you better be loaded for bear because that distance IS a bear for most mortal humans.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,235 Senior Member
    I don't think you need a whole lot of magnification for shooting 100 yards. And you need to evaluate your rifle. No need to put a 1/8 MOA scope on a 1 MOA rifle.

I think it's easy to over-magnify a rifle. It costs a lot to do so. You be the judge.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    snake284 wrote: »
    I don't know about the Revenge but the Revolution is pretty clear out to 500 yards or so and the same with all my Nikons. They're all pretty clear out to maybe 600 or so. Scope clarity in bright light is no issue for any decent entry to mid level scope. But 1000 yards is over a half mile and you better have a good high magnification scope to be doing that. I agree with Bisley, try something a little lesser for starters. Crawl before you walk and walk before you run. For people who have never shot at that range they should try something a little bit less first to see if they want to put the time, money, and effort into shooting into the next Zip Code.
    You've shot your Redfields out to 500-600?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I have not shot further than 100 yards with my setup, because my range does not have anything longer than 100 yards.

This appears to be a challenge and a bit of trash talk! We have a new range near Homestead Air Force Base that has a 400 yard area I am going to have to try after that jibe...

On the other hand... My .243 is accurate in or out of a lead sled. As I recall I am using some of Farm Boy's .243 brass.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have not shot further than 100 yards with my setup, because my range does not have anything longer than 100 yards.

This appears to be a challenge and a bit of trash talk! We have a new range near Homestead Air Force Base that has a 400 yard area I am going to have to try after that jibe...

On the other hand... My .243 is accurate in or out of a lead sled. As I recall I am using some of Farm Boy's .243 brass.

D

I was just poking at you Dan. I am damn glad you are able to make use of the brass.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NotHisRealNameNotHisRealName Member Posts: 57 Member
    Very valid comments with regards to my ability to shoot at 1000 yards, and crawling before I walk.
    1000 yards is my long term goal. My initial goal (in shooting) is a sub-MOA group at 100 yards. As with my request for a caliber that 'does everything' (and being put onto the .243 by the kind folk here - and the rest of you), I am after a scope that will also 'do everything'. 1000 yards will be a long way off (excuse the pun), and I might be better putting my time and effort into a larger caliber (like a 308 or 338) and getting glass for that specific role. ...I'm just hoping to find something that will sit atop my .243 and let me toy with the four-figure range.

I am glad to see that some of the scopes I'd shortlisted from my gun magazine research have been mentioned above. I've been led to believe that Leupold are one of the better quality brands, with Redfield being owned by Leupold, and the scopes coming from the same factory. Not sure if that's 100% or not, but I have seen quite a few Redfield being used on review guns.

D

Not a challenge, per se, but, I figured.
    You're recommending a scope to a guy that wants to shoot out to 1k, and you've not used it beyond 100 yards.
    I called you on it, because, Alpha, Jerm and I found my 12x Leupold on my 6.5-284 to be lacking for target work much past 500 yards.
    Alphas 18x Redfield did pretty well.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    So I'm looking for a scope (and rings) to sit atop a .243 bolt gun.
    Primary use will be target shooting, punching paper from 100 yards, and pushing out as far as possible (though the local range maxes out at 1000 yards).
    This scope should also be able to flex into a hunting role, but isn't a primary consideration.

Expect stupid.
    -Real.

Up to $1000 - Any 10x on up Vortex FFP target scope

$1001-1800 - Leupold Mk4 thru Mk6 target scopes

$1801-2200 - Nightforce or IOR Valdada anything

$2201 thru I don't give a **** - Schmidt&Bender, US Optics, Steiner

Or look at Burris 14x offerings in the $500 to 800 range.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,219 Senior Member
    I did grab a Bushnell Elite 6-24x scope he other day. It still hasn't been shipped to my house yet. I have serious doubts about it being effective out to 1000 yards but think it will be fine for work out to 2-300 yards. It only has a 1" tube so adjustment will be limited and it won't let the light through like a 30mm will. That, and it doesn't have target turrets it says, "semi-target knobs". I am not sure what that means. That, and the crosshair may not be fine enough.

The good thing was that the price wasn't half bad. I got it for $390 shipped from Amazon. It runs $500 at Optics Planet and Midway.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I did grab a Bushnell Elite 6-24x scope he other day. It still hasn't been shipped to my house yet. I have serious doubts about it being effective out to 1000 yards but think it will be fine for work out to 2-300 yards. It only has a 1" tube so adjustment will be limited and it won't let the light through like a 30mm will. That, and it doesn't have target turrets it says, "semi-target knobs". I am not sure what that means. That, and the crosshair may not be fine enough.

The good thing was that the price wasn't half bad. I got it for $390 shipped from Amazon. It runs $500 at Optics Planet and Midway.

It won't disappoint and it's plenty good well out past 600 yards. That's the very first scope I put on my FN PBR. Great for the money.

ETA: Mine was the Elite Tactical 4200 6-24x version. But 30mm doesn't transmit more light than a 1 inch tube. It just allows for more mechanical range, mostly.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,235 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

Not sure I understand much of this post, which is confused and confusing. Why wouldn't a scope be good out to 1000 yards if it's good at 400 yards?

Also, the ONLY advantage a 30mm scope has isn't allowing light in, it's in vert/horiz adjustment. No matter how much light goes in the front, the amount that comes out the back is what counts, and the higher the magnification, the less the amount. Your eye can only use a certain amount anyway, so that's not all important. I think it's about 5-7 mm of light is all your eye will accept, and a better (more expensive) scope will not distort this amount as much as a cheap scope.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Another key for light transmission is the coating of lenses including the internals. That helps big time by keeping light moving through rather than bending and bouncing around.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Another key for light transmission is the coating of lenses including the internals. That helps big time by keeping light moving through rather than bending and bouncing around.

Yep. A Barska could be as clear as a Steiner if they used superb, coated German or Japanese glass.

But you pay for that stuff.

I heard once that a scope's cost is a 60-30-10 split...

60% mechanical cost
    30% glass cost
    10% tube cost

I don't know if that is true or not, but it seems relatively reasonable.