Had a primer go off

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,849 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Just to be clear, my previous post was talking about the tool set that TennMike posted :up: :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Here is video on how it works...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdkA7vDeaes

Another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mviHb0E3IZc
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Some press do not give it enough leverage to knock off the brass stuck in the nub like the Lee single stage in this video. My Lee SS worked fine, but not my Lee Classic cast turret press because the cup ran into a rib on the press frame.

You may have to tap the handle on your ram a few times to get them to separate like the video where the guy was using a Hornady press, I do.

Here let RCBS show you how to use it/set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1SOBYhdXzA

Redneckry way with a Lee Turret press, cpj and were discussing this on an earlier thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHyPTQGjGm8
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I like this idy brass goes on top of press in a swage die in a shell holder. CH Tools?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teuaIYm6X34&list=PLZRuU_t2lsJkFjYt9YhyR_dBwYLVG7381
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It has crimped pockets. We've covered this...
    Recheck my post. I edited and explained it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Most of what I have bought is Am. Eagle and most of that in 5.56. Looking at them compared to the pics in CPJs and other links I would say yes it is crimped. The last (first) group I did I suspect was .223 picked up from my daughters BF when we shot his AR. Until I order one like the Lyman above, do the hand tools work?
    ve

I've been using my Lee hand priming tool for almost 35 years and it works like a charm. In fact they're probably better than the press tool because you have a better feel of when the primer bottoms out so you don't crush or distort the primer, which can effect ignition and accuracy.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    OK, I just ran about 20 through the swaging die and primed them with the hand primer. Smooth as butter. Thanks everyone, you guys rock. That doesn't mean I want to swap spit with you in May though Chris, save that for Wambli.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I like this idy brass goes on top of press in a swage die in a shell holder. CH Tools?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teuaIYm6X34&list=PLZRuU_t2lsJkFjYt9YhyR_dBwYLVG7381

I like that! I've been hearing about CH4D a lot lately, they're located about 20 min from here.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    I like that! I've been hearing about CH4D a lot lately, they're located about 20 min from here.

CH4D makes some very good die sets. They've been around for a long time; just don't have the name recognition of some other die makers like Lee, Lyman, Forster, Hornady, etc. Don't know why, except maybe the price. They are higher priced than some, but worth it. Pacific Tool and Gage is another good company that makes good dies, among other things.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

https://www.ch4d.com/

Every once and a blue moon I've seen their stuff or written about. Looks like quality stuff.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,240 Senior Member
    I'd have to de-crimp a whole lot of brass before I'd pay $30 for a die. I mean like 1K or so. I never had problems just using an old pocket knife for cutting out the crimp.

Tool-head that I am. I guess I don't load enough military brass. I've got a hand tool for each size, can't remember what I paid for them, but it wasn't that much.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    1000 rounds ain't that much, especially in a semi auto. I go through half that in .22 in a couple hours twice a month, 3 times in the summer. That's not including practice and when my daughters go with me, 2000 rounds in pistol and rifle is not unheard of. I have to hide my SD rounds or they'll shoot that up on me too.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    jbohio wrote: »

I think I'm going to order the CH 4d. I like the looks of that one. I've been wanting one of these tools for nearly 20 years. I got by with a cutter tool that fits my case trimmer. But I didn't like the results. I cuts at an angle and takes away way more metal than I believe necessary and I can see it shortening case life because you lose a lot of support in the primer pocket, and it looks like the primers could get loose a lot quicker. The swager doesnt' cut or remove metal, It merely displaces it.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to order the CH 4d. I like the looks of that one. I've been wanting one of these tools for nearly 20 years. I got by with a cutter tool that fits my case trimmer. But I didn't like the results. I cuts at an angle and takes away way more metal than I believe necessary and I can see it shortening case life because you lose a lot of support in the primer pocket, and it looks like the primers could get loose a lot quicker. The swager doesnt' cut or remove metal, It merely displaces it.

Cool! I have the RCBS swager, a cutter for my trimmer, I've used the Dillon swager, a couple different hand cutters, and now one on my Lyman case prep.
    The one on my case prep is in the lead, but, that tool looks perfect for my plans.....I really like that CH4D 4 station press.
    I've been wanting a turret press for pistol and plinking ammo. That fixed 4 hole press looks like my dream press. Nothing moves up top.
    Size it, swage it, hand prime it, charge it, seat it. From cleaned brass to loaded round in seconds.