Home Main Category General Firearms

three Stuck cases in a month

Big DanBig Dan New MemberPosts: 18 New Member
This last month I have been plagued with three different stuck cases in my resizing dies. 22-250/ WW Case /RCBS die, Rem 700; 308 Rem case/ Lymon die /Rem 600 & SA M1A1 Loaded), 8x57 Mauser Norma case /old RCBS die, K98 Mauser,
I was using Midway's spray on let set and use lubricant and every 3 or 4 cases using midways mica inside the case mouth applicator.
Just got in a stuck case puller and will work on that this week. Ripped the rim off of all three on the up stroke, pulling the sizing pin back through the neck and the case out of the die. Each case felt a bit different from the other brass on the down stroke.
I'm not sure if the lube has gone bad, it is only 10-12 years old, or the operating temp. Around 30 deg in the Garage this month.
So I have gone back to a dab of lanolin in the fingers and give each case neck a quick rub. Never had an issue with a case getting stuck and hands are soft as silk.:angel:

So, to keep from ripping apart another case, trashing another die, decapping pin and upsetting the dog by screaming obscenities,:angry: I was thinking that neck sizing might be the way to go as all the bolt guns don't have a problem with cases that weren't fully sized going into the chamber. Haven't tried this on the M1A1, yet
I've done some goggling and have uncovered inconclusive advise on using a case neck resizer vs completely resizing the entire case.
I tried neck sizing the 22-250, made a couple of dummy rounds and they fit and feed with no issues.
But, before I buy another two neck sizing dies, I wanted to see what other shooters thought and had experience with neck sizing and what, if any, would be the down side.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    4 words for you Dan
    Imperial sizing die wax
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Dan wrote: »
    This last month I have been plagued with three different stuck cases in my resizing dies. 22-250/ WW Case /RCBS die, Rem 700; 308 Rem case/ Lymon die /Rem 600 & SA M1A1 Loaded), 8x57 Mauser Norma case /old RCBS die, K98 Mauser,
    I was using Midway's spray on let set and use lubricant and every 3 or 4 cases using midways mica inside the case mouth applicator.
    Just got in a stuck case puller and will work on that this week. Ripped the rim off of all three on the up stroke, pulling the sizing pin back through the neck and the case out of the die. Each case felt a bit different from the other brass on the down stroke.
    I'm not sure if the lube has gone bad, it is only 10-12 years old, or the operating temp. Around 30 deg in the Garage this month.
    So I have gone back to a dab of lanolin in the fingers and give each case neck a quick rub. Never had an issue with a case getting stuck and hands are soft as silk.:angel:

So, to keep from ripping apart another case, trashing another die, decapping pin and upsetting the dog by screaming obscenities,:angry: I was thinking that neck sizing might be the way to go as all the bolt guns don't have a problem with cases that weren't fully sized going into the chamber. Haven't tried this on the M1A1, yet
    I've done some goggling and have uncovered inconclusive advise on using a case neck resizer vs completely resizing the entire case.
    I tried neck sizing the 22-250, made a couple of dummy rounds and they fit and feed with no issues.
    But, before I buy another two neck sizing dies, I wanted to see what other shooters thought and had experience with neck sizing and what, if any, would be the down side.
    Thanks in advance.

I've used a couple of different case lubs and never had this problem except once when a couple of my dies got a little rusty. I have heard on here about the Imperial Lube, I think it is, as being very good too. With the exception of about 5 years I've used RCBS Case Sizing Lube since I started loading. I did use a spray lube my son had bought for about 5 yrs until I ran out of it. It worked fine too, but I have a warm and fuzzy feeling when using the RCBS lube.

I think the objections to the RCBS Lube on here is that it is hard to get off the case and it smells bad. I just drop the cases in the vibrator and it cleans em off nicely. But RCBS lube will work really well and I never had a case get close to stuck using it. My only real objection to it is its weird odor. But it works. There's several lubes that work. One key to the RCBS is using the lube pad and not overdoing it. Doesn't take a lot of lube on the pad. Then I just lightly roll my cases across it and resize.

Edited to Add: The only time I ever had an issue with stuck cases was when I had used my dies out in a shed which was in a very humid area and I left two dies there over night. Both stuck cases the next time I used them. However, I wasn't using RCBS case lube, I was using a thinner spray type lube. That stuff normally worked great and was easy to clean off the cases. But I guess it wasn't up to a slightly corroded sizing die. When we finally extracted the stuck cases from those dies, I lubed them up and ran a piece of 400 grit emery cloth on a spindle lightly to clean em up. Never had another problem since.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    Sounds like you need a stuck case remover...or you can make one if you have a tap set. Definitely have a lube problem. I use Wire Aid, which I think is lanolin and is made for drawing wire through conduit. It smells like Imperial die wax, but it's much more liquid.

I ruined a die once before I made my stuck case remover, which I promptly lost so I bought one. You get a tap, a drill bit, a screw, an allen wrench, and a spacer in the kit. But you can make one for just about nothing. You just drill out the primer, thread the hole, put the screw in the spacer, and turn the screw which will draw out the stuck case.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This.
    Don't complicate things. It's not that hard. :-)

Yep and Unique in a tub by Hornady works well too. A stuck case is about the most frustrating thing that can happen while reloading, stops you dead in your tracks until you get it unstuck. Unless you have extra FL dies around in the same caliber.

I ruined a .30 Carbine FL die trying to get a stuck case out years ago. .30 Carbine appear to be straight walled cases, but they are not, slight taper. I was using One Shot lube. I'm much wiser and patient these days.

Oh, I sprayed it and must have missed a case.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Just to be clear... it's not me.

I have been resizing a bunch of cases over the past week ( about 300 or so ) and I have been using Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

While it is important to lube the neck, lubing the circumference of the base about halfway up seems to be more important. I theorize it is where the most primer / powder expansion happens and consequently deforms the most.

I have also discovered that improperly lubed cases stretch on the down stroke and need to be trimmed more than properly lubed cases.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    4 words for you Dan
    Imperial sizing die wax
    This.
    Don't complicate things. It's not that hard. :-)
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Yep and Unique in a tub by Hornady works well too.
    I've never used Imperial, but still have over half the tub of Hornady Unique lube I bought 20+ years ago. Just like the old Brylcream ad used to say, "A little dab'll do ya"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

I have been resizing a bunch of cases over the past week ( about 300 or so ) and I have been using Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

While it is important to lube the neck, lubing the circumference of the base about halfway up seems to be more important. I theorize it is where the most primer / powder expansion happens and consequently deforms the most.

I have also discovered that improperly lubed cases stretch on the down stroke and need to be trimmed more than properly lubed cases.

D

I've actually read where you don't want to lube the necks because it can distort it. I don't know about that, and I do lightly lube the neck, very lightly. As I roll them across the pad, I only lightly touch the necks to it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Oh Big Dan not BigDans
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Trust me. Everyone was waiting to make fun of the S version. :tooth:

What is the "S" fer Willis? :tooth:
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Yet another for unique by Hornady/ imperial wax. I have the Hornady goo on hand at all times.......yes pun intended:tooth: the pleasing odor drives the women wild! Almost as good as hoppes just more subtle.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    For BigDans
    Not Big Dan

It is Big Dan S

Just to be accurate...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    It is Big Dan S

Just to be accurate...

D
    There are two of ya? :popcorn:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia

They were getting stuck using Imperial ?
    Weatherby wrote: »

They were getting stuck using Imperial ?

Uhm... no. All of mine have been just fine thanks.... Ask Big Dan. :deadhorse:

D
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    There are two of ya? :popcorn:

He cracked! Split personality.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Why is the quote thing hard for you?
    He could quote every post when he replies to them...
    Overkill is underrated.
    Big Dan, try taking the expander balls out of your dies, clean them up. They get funky. No point in switching to neck sizing.
    Get some Imperial, all you need to do to lube the inside of the necks, is swipe your finger across the mouth.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Big Dan, try taking the expander balls out of your dies, clean them up. They get funky. No point in switching to neck sizing.
    Get some Imperial, all you need to do to lube the inside of the necks, is swipe your finger across the mouth.

Agreed. When I started reloading my dies were full of gunk from the cases and too much lube. I took them apart and wiped them all down and they worked much better. If you full length resize make sure to lube the bottom 1/2 of the outside of the case lightly.
    So, you're sayin, yeah. That's what you're sayin.

Yep. Don't throw your back out
    Uhm... no. All of mine have been just fine thanks.... Ask Big Dan. :deadhorse:

D

where is he ?
    Why is the quote thing hard for you?
    If I knew the answer it wouldn't be....would it ?
  • Big DanBig Dan New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    Thanks for the info on the lube
    Any thoughts about neck sizing as to full length sizing?
    Big Dans had I known what an issue Big Dan would be I think i'd have picked Iskeybibble or something not so confusing to the community.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have tried about everything except Imperial Sizing Wax. I started with the pad and RCBS lube. When that ran out, I tried automotive engine assembly lube, it worked but was messy and had to be washed off. The better choices were Johnsons Paste Floor Wax and Kiwi neutral shoe wax, then there was silicone in a spray can..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    Have you tried a heat gun?

I doubt a person could get the die hot enough to damage any heat treating.

Try to heat the die just enough so it expands, and the case will not get as hot as the surrounding die, and it should make the stuck case a bit easier to remove.

I used this method on various stuck things in the past and it helps.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have never used this on a stuck case, I have always been able to remove any stuck case, with a RCBS "stuck case removal kit"
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    i like using my Lee dies for just this reason.

here is what i do to minimize my stuck cases. I use the Dillon spray lube but i think this will work with yours. worse case just try it since you have some.

but i put a handful of cases in a small coffee can size bucket and i will spray them with the lube. I dont skimp either, but it may take some trials to get a feel or how much you need. Then i stir them around the bucket either by hand or swishing the bucket around. Note that eventually you will get some lube at the bottom of the bucket and if you dont over due it you can use that to add to the cases.

at least thats how i do it.

good luck.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    I think that spraying is hit and miss unless you spray a lot of it and after all that is good fer business ain't it.

I have been using Hornady Unique lube in a little tub. I put some on my fingers, both hands and grab a handful of brass and roll them around and either FL resize them outta my hands or put them in a loading block.

I have a little tin of Imperial and some Lee Alox too, both work well too. I tried the spay stuff and like I said before I don't care for it. Not saying it doesn't work, but you have to make sure you spray enough and cover all your cases. Your gonna get some lube on your hands no matter which kind you decide to use so...................why not just rub it on.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    One spray on lube I've used and like is the Frankford Arsenal Case Lube sold by Midway. An 8 oz. bottle lasts a LONG time, and it isn't messy. I put around 50 cases in a plastic bowl, spray them down, and then shake the bowl to distribute to lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/204960/frankford-arsenal-case-lube-8-oz-pump?cm_vc=ProductFinding

If you stand the cases mouth up first, you can spray a little lube in the case mouths before tipping them over and spraying the outside case bodies. I use the stuff on pistol cases, too. I also use Imperial Sizing wax on a 4"x4" stamp pad, and lanolin on a 4"x4" stamp pad. The lanolin works good, and is good for your fingers/hands, too.

For .50 BMG cases I use high temperature hydraulic fluid. It's slicker 'n' snail snot, easy to apply inside the case neck and outside, and is easy to remove. I don't EVEN want to contemplate a .50 BMG case stuck in a sizing die!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams