DEVCON

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,492 Senior Member
Since I've been using Devcon 10110 Plastic Steel for pillar bedding for years, and I know some of you also use it , I thought you might find the correct mix ratio's helpful.
I don't mix by volume (2.5:1) as its to hard to get the right ratio, I mix only by weight which is 9:1
Epoxy in grains - hardener in grains
40 4.5
80 9.0
120 13.5
200 22.5
240 24.0
280 30.0
320 36.0
400 45.0
Working time is approx. 45 min., 75% cure is 16 hours, I usually leave everything set up for at least 36 - 48 hours before separating the parts.
For bedding Mausers, M-70, M-700 etc. I mix 400 gr. and have some left over.
For release agent I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish and a light coat of Pam , I've never had a problem separating the barreled action.
Hope this helps some of you.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Thanks! Good info. Tagged for future reference.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Since I've been using Devcon 10110 Plastic Steel for pillar bedding for years, and I know some of you also use it , I thought you might find the correct mix ratio's helpful.
    I don't mix by volume (2.5:1) as its to hard to get the right ratio, I mix only by weight which is 9:1
    Epoxy in grains - hardener in grains
    40 4.5
    80 9.0
    120 13.5
    200 22.5
    240 24.0
    280 30.0
    320 36.0
    400 45.0
    Working time is approx. 45 min., 75% cure is 16 hours, I usually leave everything set up for at least 36 - 48 hours before separating the parts.
    For bedding Mausers, M-70, M-700 etc. I mix 400 gr. and have some left over.
    For release agent I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish and a light coat of Pam , I've never had a problem separating the barreled action.
    Hope this helps some of you

JAY

This is really good info Jay. Thank you very much for posting. I have used both Devcon and Acraglass for over 30 years. One thing that you said got my attention. I've read people's posts on here where they said they let it cure for at least 24 hours. I guess I'm more fanatical. I let it set for at least 48 if not three days. I see where you say a minimum of two. I like that. Cure time is more important than anything. It lets it not only get hard, but strong. And if bedding a rifle you want the contact area to stay at as close to 100% as possible. If you take the action out of the stock too soon the shape of the surfaces can actually move a little and a little can be too much for a proper bedding job. It just makes sense to leave it untouched until it is fully cured. And also, the cooler the weather the longer the cure time. Maybe I'm a fanatic here, but when I'm doing something that's going to last a long time I don't believe in hurrying it.

Edited to Add: Have you ever used the newer Brownells blue Mold Release? That stuff works great and gives you a really precision fit.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=snake284;432669, the cooler the weather the longer the cure time. Maybe I'm a fanatic here, but when I'm doing something that's going to last a long time I don't believe in hurrying it.

Edited to Add: Have you ever used the newer Brownells blue Mold Release? That stuff works great and gives you a really precision fit.[/QUOTE]

I made a 1' sq. 4' high drying box with a door, just cheep plywood, I put a 100W light bulb inside to keep everything warm, I use it for bedding and stock finishing, it also keeps the dust out, nothing worse than putting the final finish on a stock onle to find some dust or a bug after its dried.

Never tried the Brownells "blue stuff" , I just might have to try it. When I worked for the airlines they had a release agent, in a spray can that we used for fibreglas/ Kevlar/& graphite that worked great but I cant get it anymore.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT