Home Main Category General Firearms

I dont believe I am posting this up about the 270.........but.......

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469254008
    Inhate to do this to you, but here ha go. Maybe when you get out here again.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    That first shot is gonna be an expensive one. Like buy a couple new rifles expensive.
    Sayin.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    That first shot is gonna be an expensive one. Like buy a couple new rifles expensive.
    Sayin.

Do you remember the scene in the movie 'Open Range' when Duvall buys the chocolate and said something to the shop keeper about having the finest chocolate in the store and ' you have never even tried it?'
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Shoot it and enjoy it. There's no way anyone could tell if it was "unfired" anyway. I think a .270 is a fine caliber, and yours is as good looking as any I've seen. An unfired gun is like a tree falling in the forest with no one around. Neither one makes any noise.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Aren't these wild bulls 1500lbs plus?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Aren't these wild bulls 1500lbs plus?

Yup. And, depending on circumstances, some will cheerfully stomp you into strawberry (colored) jam.
    I have a theory. Not exactly ground breaking I know.
    Some will go down as if a bomb detonated in their brain, even if hit by a 270 but some (if they are some how adrenalized) won't even if hit by a 375..
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    I think this would be an excellent opportunity to try out your new gun, figure out a way to make it appear to be a .270 fot he peanut gallery.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Outta curiosity, what would Orchid's unfired pre 64 .270 be worth.............ballpark guesstimate/USD$ ?

But hey, it is his to do what he desires with it and if he chooses to consummate his ownership by firing it.................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Outta curiosity, what would Orchid's unfired pre 64 .270 be worth.............ballpark guesstimate/USD$ ?

But hey, it is his to do what he desires with it and if he chooses to consummate his ownership by firing it.................
    Just off the top of my head, I'd expect it to fetch $5-10,000 if not more.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I have a stupid question...............what kind of Wild Bulls................from cattle or what?

Feral Cattle I believe...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Feral Cattle I believe...

Hey, he can make himself an English Gentleman's walking stick from the pizzle if he likes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head, I'd expect it to fetch $5-10,000 if not more.

Wow!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member

Well used, maybe 90% ones are $3000-4000 on gunbroker. 100% condition, unfired, I'd guess you could double that.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I like the 270 gr. bullet in my .375, But I reload for mine. I like the Barnes X 235gr. and the Barnes X 270 gr. bullets, my rifle shoots both bullets to the same point of aim at 100yds. It's a great caliber. Have fun shooting those nasty bulls!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    From my experience with some rank bulls over the years I'd go with the .375 H&H as primary, and the .270 as secondary for when a good clean head shot presents itself. Wild domestic cattle can move fast, and a pissed off bull can move fast, absorb some heavy punishment, and still stomp you into a mud pie. And that goes triple for Jersey bulls; they are unquestionably Satan's spawn.

Field dressing can be interesting depending on the size of the critter. Cut 'em open from scrotum to sternum, and then use a saw to split the sternum. And here's where redneckery shows up. An automotive scissors jack can be used to open up the sternum to get to the bits that need cleaning out. Sounds crazy but works like a champ.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Do what pleases you, Alec, and enjoy the rib eyes. :yousuck:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Alec, you know I love the .270 and for deer or possibly elk, nothing really out performs it, although I will say there's a lot of rifles that are "Cough! Cough!" Almost as good, but if it's me I wouldn't even want a 30-06 for bulls like that. All jokes aside, I feel for deer size game a .270 is as good as it gets. But don't press your luck. That's why they make .375s for huge tough animals. If it's me I would definitely take my .9.3 x 62 Mauser or if I had one a .375 H&H or equivalent. Don't go bear huntin' with a switch so to speak. Just my advice and I am one of the .270 proponents on here. A .270 Win.- 7x57 (7-08)-.280 Remington were born for deer, but not elephant size critters, I don't care what Karomojo Bell said. And a big bull, though not quite an elephant is way big and powerful like a Cape Buffalo. Don't press your luck. Save the .270 for what it was meant for, Which Ain't Coyotes bye the way.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BTW, and all BS aside, that is one fine looking rifle. And if you must take it after such a wild beast, get you some Nosler Partitions and stick one in its ear. That will definitely take it down.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Same as an Elk or even Bison if the are large bulls. 30-06 with 180 gr pills would be excellent medicine and the .375 better.

D

Although I disagree with using a .270 on such an animal, I don't think there'd be a dimes worth of difference in a 180 grain 30 caliber bullet and a 150 grain .277 or .284 for that matter. The sectional density of both are probably almost the same. And if Alec could find some 160 grain Partitions for the .270 I'd almost favor using it and I would go so far to say there'd be NO practical difference. Now if you had some 220 grain bullets for the 06, that's what I would recommend but only as back up to the 375.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    The 6.5 x 55 in 140 grain has taken a lot of game. I don't know about 1500 pound animals, though. I wouldn't think a wild bull would reach anything like that, but what do I know?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Also Alec, I agree it's your decision, but you remind me of my Uncle that bought a Weatherby 270 Magnum with SN 270. My dad, his older brother, ate his ass out for shooting that rifle because it was another never fired rifle. It was an early MkV. But he shot it anyway, and killed a big caribou up in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia, one of those places.

But as has been said on here, what was the gun built for? Sitting in a display case? or to be shot? I like the fact they are primarily made to be shot. Seems like a waste making it a safe queen forever.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The 6.5 x 55 in 140 grain has taken a lot of game. I don't know about 1500 pound animals, though. I wouldn't think a wild bull would reach anything like that, but what do I know?

160 grain in the '.256 Mannlicher', at about 2,400 ft/s, had considerable success against African Elephant and Cape Buffalo.
    cpj wrote: »
    Head or body shots?

Hell, I killed a cow with a .380. Granted it was a head shot....

You shot a Cow (slang insult for British woman) wiff a .380 :rotflmao::rotflmao::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    I did some googling and found that many bulls in the 1600 lb range are taken with head and upper nuck shots with .270, .308 and 30-06 calibers. Trophy bull hunters 1600-2000 lb range that do not want to ruin the trophy use African calibers.
    Sounds like Cape Buffalo hunting without going to the dark continent.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Head or body shots? ......

I am afraid you will have to ask Ernest Hemingway or WDM "Karamojo" Bell, as they were the ones doing the shooting.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    :

I gather there are quite a few that need culling............I haven't got to planning the eating stage yet, I am still trying to figure out how to field dress one!!!

I'll bet that carrying the decoys is a bitch ! :rotflmao:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »

Choose the right one and they could just prance ahead ...

matador_zps8f9dnokt.jpg
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I did some googling and found that many bulls in the 1600 lb range are taken with head and upper nuck shots with .270, .308 and 30-06 calibers. Trophy bull hunters 1600-2000 lb range that do not want to ruin the trophy use African calibers.
    Sounds like Cape Buffalo hunting without going to the dark continent.

Which is ed zachery why I am going to set up the 270............

Domestic cattle, even bulls that have gone wild, don't have things like 'boss's' on their heads to protect them as that type of protection has been bred out of them over the centuries.

While they can still have 'attitude', revert back to a 'wild' state and can be dangerous, most if not all breeds of wild 'domestic' cattle don't have the physical attributes of their wild cousins.........

The only thing I need to figure out Ron is where the hell the 'nuck' is...........:roll2:
    HAWKEN wrote: »

:spittingcoffee:

Will have to brush up on my calling I guess.............:tooth:...............
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Choose the right one and they could just prance ahead ...

matador_zps8f9dnokt.jpg

If you think I am going hunting wearing something like that you are sadly mistaken............:tooth: