I dont believe I am posting this up about the 270.........but.......

13»

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, he can make himself an English Gentleman's walking stick from the pizzle if he likes.

You have got to be kidding. I would feel a real 'richard' if I did that...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, he can make himself an English Gentleman's walking stick from the pizzle if he likes.
    orchidman wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding. I would feel a real 'richard' if I did that...........
    Here ya go "richard" :rotflmao:
    http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Bull_Organ_Penis_Walking_Cane.html
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

Speakin' of that, no dapper gentleman would be caught without his raccoon 'richard' tooth pick and its bamboo case!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Real-Raccoon-Baculum-Penis-Bone-Animal-Weird-Oddity-JUMBOS-gag-Gift-toothpick-/371267570258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5671458a52
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,662 Senior Member
    Which is ed zachery why I am going to set up the 270............

Domestic cattle, even bulls that have gone wild, don't have things like 'boss's' on their heads to protect them as that type of protection has been bred out of them over the centuries.

While they can still have 'attitude', revert back to a 'wild' state and can be dangerous, most if not all breeds of wild 'domestic' cattle don't have the physical attributes of their wild cousins.........

The only thing I need to figure out Ron is where the hell the 'nuck' is...........:roll2:

Isn't nuck how you guys say neck over there? Or did did I miss type?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,417 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

One of my neighbors bought a high-priced herd bull, and it broke its "equipment" within a few days of being turned out with the cows. The neighbor had to put it down, and he invited the whole community to a pit BBQ. His comment at the dinner- - - - -"You folks enjoy that meat- - - -it's costin' me fourteen bucks a bite!"

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I LOVED that scene and I agree with it 100%
    Yup, own and shoot the hell out of it, wear it out! That's why they sell parts. Just don't wait too long it might melt.;-)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I just wanted to say again that you suck so badly! :tooth:

That rifle is SO gorgeous!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Jeeper wrote: »
    I just wanted to say again that you suck so badly! :tooth:

That rifle is SO gorgeous!

Luis

Thanks.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    My apologies to Elmer Keith........He did say Jack O'Connor...........My only excuse is that I cant remember the last day off I had, between working on the orchids during the week and the charter boat weekends my mind is playing tricks on me......I cant even remember what I had for dinner 2 days ago......which is why I am looking forward to dealing to some wild bulls.
    f get the opportunity to 'pick' one off with a head/top of the neck shot using the 270.

( I will also have the 222 Sako along for the ride........:tooth:)

Hell, if the shots are going to be long, 100 yards out then take the .270 for kicks too. I was thinking close in shots. Heck if its at a distance you have time to take a brain shot with the .270 and if the bull turns your way you have time to pick up the .375 to stop the attack. Just use a 150 grain or bigger bonded bullet. But heck for head shots the dang old 130 anything will work. That is one fine rifle and if I see you I'm giving you my K-6 if you'll promise to put it on the .270.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Hell, if the shots are going to be long, 100 yards out then take the .270 for kicks too. I was thinking close in shots. Heck if its at a distance you have time to take a brain shot with the .270 and if the bull turns your way you have time to pick up the .375 to stop the attack. Just use a 150 grain or bigger bonded bullet. But heck for head shots the dang old 130 anything will work. That is one fine rifle and if I see you I'm giving you my K-6 if you'll promise to put it on the .270.

A few months ago I scored a few packets of Remington factory 130gr corelokts, if I can get them to shoot good groups then I will probably use them............if not I will buy a packet each of whatever brands I can get locally in 150gr projectiles and pick the one that groups best.

I haven't forgotten about the scope my friend..............will look forward to meeting up with you in person.....................in the meantime I will use another scope for this 'event'.
    A few months ago I scored a few packets of Remington factory 130gr corelokts, if I can get them to shoot good groups then I will probably use them............if not I will buy a packet each of whatever brands I can get locally in 150gr projectiles and pick the one that groups best.

I haven't forgotten about the scope my friend..............will look forward to meeting up with you in person.....................in the meantime I will use another scope for this 'event'.

I have that scope on my 7 mag for now but it's only temporary. I want something with longer legs because of my eyes. I'm probably going to put a 2.5-10 something on it or maybe 4-12 x 40 Nikon. That scope will be yours someday
    I think it would look totally classic on your model 70, if you aren't like me and need higher maginfication.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Since local edible wild fauna is usually no bigger than a Whitetail, laws ban most dangerous game calibers and importers will seldom bring something bigger than 30-06 or so, most hunters over here carry either .308s or .270s.
    A few of them find every once in a while feral cattle in the hunting areas (Mountain terrain most of the times) and usually farmers are glad to get rid of them (As long as they can harvest the meat), so they will try to bring them down. Those using .270s say that it's something that can be done IF you use the heaviest bullet available and look for the proper shot placement (Heart/lung area or neck) with at least basic knowledge of the animal's physiology. According to those that tried and succeeded, under this considerations a single shot can do the job fairly quickly but they always take care of using distance and cover (Local terrain helps specially with the latter) as an asset in case the animal charges against the threat.

Regarding your rifle.....aren't all new guns (Specially sporting guns intended for the civilian market) test-fired at least once at the factory before stamping some proofs or to match certain quality control criteria previous to delivery to distributors & customers? If so, "unfired" isn't a quite accurate definition. A seldom-used well-cared & stored rifle can easily keep the "unfired" looks for a long time and back the story (Specially if you keep all original packing & paperwork in sound condition) that you assume is real by trusting the former owner's word.

I'd say fire it; recently a friend of mine passed away from assorted illnesses with at least half a dozen of still NIB nice rifles he never used for fear of losing the "brand new" category; casket was still being lowered and his family had already sold them to known hunters that put them to use ASAP.

Whatever you do....post pictures!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I don't know what your "wild bulls" are, but I've shot a couple 600 lb bison with my .270 stoked with 160 grain Partitions at 2850 fps.

Mike

Ppppfffftttttt! What do YOU know?

:roll:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,542 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Ppppfffftttttt! What do YOU know?

:roll:

Not much, and others would opine "even less".

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Not much, and others would opine "even less".

Mike

Speaking of others, what is up with Jerry, absence is noted.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Here's the deal.

If you don't do a Zedrick inspired autopsy, don't bother shooting it anyplace other than the head.

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Speaking of others, what is up with Jerry, absence is noted.

Not sure, except that I'm sure he's fine. He's now retired and I'm now working more than almost ever and our schedules hardly ever coincide these days. I'm sure he's in better shape than I am.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    That is good, thanks, I have not seen any dead critters from his camera, nor any complaints from you about dragging them, I was concerned:tooth:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    That is good, thanks, I have not seen any dead critters from his camera, nor any complaints from you about dragging them, I was concerned:tooth:

I wish I'd had cause to complain about dragging something. Unfortunately, we both got totally skunked this year. Unless you count mice.....I've caught a few recently. Cold and snow brings them in. The cat won't do it, so.......I get a late-season hunt.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    Hey, Alec.......

BTW.....on the two bison I mentioned, I fired a total of five shots. Four were broadside, and four of the 160 Partitions blew through them like they weren't even there. The one that wasn't a complete pass through entered just ahead of the last rib on a hard quartering shot and came to rest under the hide of the opposite "arm pit". Though the bullet never touched the off-side shoulder, it was blood-shot completely down to the leg bone.

Right bullet.....pick your spot.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,759 Senior Member
    When it comes to things that can put a serious hurting on you..................there's no such thing as "too much gun". Take the .375..........save the .270 for PO'ed ground squirrels and bunnies.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    If you need a decoy, find a cow in season. The bulls will find YOU! :rotflmao:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    If you need a decoy, find a cow in season. The bulls will find YOU! :rotflmao:

Or just wear bright red clothes..................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    cpj wrote: »
    Look at Snake.

My case is rested.

Well, now that Alec explained his planned technique, I give him my blessing to use the .270. And I'll go one better and say that the only reason Karamojo Bell used a 7x57 instead of a .270 on those elephants was because when he was doing all that light caliber Elephant killing the .270 was yet to be invented.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    To nuck: verb (Texan). To shoot something in the A$- .
    Sometimes known as a Texas neck shot. Past tense: "I nucked him!" Slang : "Ah'm nucked." Very tired.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Well whatever you do Alec be careful.