New budget-minded optic.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,104 Senior Member
I took a chance on a budget scope based on many very positive reviews. While I appreciate higher dollar scopes, I also firmly believe a company can produce very usable and dependable optics in the "budget" category. Finding that brand can be the hard part. I've yet to mount and fire test it, but the initial inspection seems promising.

It's a Primary Arms 4-14x44mm with the reticle in the first plane. And it comes in under $300. That's very inexpensive for a scope with these features, so I will reserve all speculation and wait until I get it mounted and start putting rounds down range. I can however say that on the exterior it's robust, refined and solid. The turrets click positively, the magnification ring is sound and turns freely, but not easily. The anodizing is uniform and looks good too.

I will post a photo in the morning, but here is a stock photo.

PA4-14XFFP-2T.jpg

It is a standard US Army mil-dot reticle and the turrets are in 1/10 mil as well. My favorite combination.

I'll report back as soon as I get it mounted to my SPR and put some rounds down range.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,481 Senior Member
    Good luck,,,,I'm betting it will work great.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    I have 3 Primary Arms optics (2 red dots, 1 1-4x scope) and they have all performed beyond their costs.

I'm sure that one will do what you want it to.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    After two years this guy is happy with this one.................as he said, hit and miss on some of them.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/foghorn/gear-review-primary-arms-4-14x44-mil-dot-ffp-scope/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    While I have never owned a PA optic, I have heard nothing but good things. Will be interested to hear your impression after a few range sessions.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    $300 is in the Nikon Buckmaster range, so it needs to be pretty good.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Almost all scopes are not 100% American made............American Assembled yes. Even Leupold have their lenses made overseas.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    $300 is in the Nikon Buckmaster range, so it needs to be pretty good.

As I said I am reserving all firm opinions for my actual range time, but reviews are pretty much raving. Accurate turrets, accurate subtensions and good light transmission. As far as I am concerned, it just needs to work as advertised. Anything above the claims is icing on the cake.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers