Free gun values

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,487 Senior Member
OK, I can't seem to wiggle out of this project. I can't find a place on line where I can get an idea gun values for free. "Blue Book" wants you to pay and the only one that was free doesn't show a model 29-2 Smith , I didn't search further. Is there a free on-line site? I've got enough invested in this project and my friend should never see these guns again, he doen't deserve them. I'm aware the condition effects value and an aprasial is the only true way to determine value. I also know it's worth whatever someone is willing to spend. I'm just looking for some guidelines.
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    A gun is worth what people will pay. Do an advanced search on Gunbroker for completed sales and you can see what price has been achieved in the past 90 days.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    A gun is worth what people will pay. Do an advanced search on Gunbroker for completed sales and you can see what price has been achieved in the past 90 days.

D

This.

"Collection" value is not much of a measure of real world value. Classic car "values" are a great example.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    I'd also add that value can be determined by location and associated rarity. A Savage 99 in .300 Savage is somewhat more rare here than it is in, say, Pennslyvania.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    Some guidelines...you know condition.
    The 29-2 was made for a long time an S prefix serial one will go for more money as opposed to an N prefix serial one.
    The type of grips/stocks on it can greatly affect price.....nice cokes are currently getting $600.
    A 4" barrel will bring more money.....does it have presentation case or other goodies ?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,976 Senior Member
    Used guns of any quality are anywhere from 25-50% overpriced because of the "Scares". Also, lots of models are no longer made and Pre this and Pre that. New guns are pricey too, but the MSRP kinda takes makers off the hook because you can usually get one for less, but sellers are closer to that mark than I ever recall.

On one hand we should be appalled at what some folks are asking and the difficulty in adding to our collections and on the other hand thrilled our guns are "Worth" one heck of a lot more than we paid for them.

Not to say there isn't some fair deals out there, there are. Also, you will get Low-balled when trying to sell to a dealer and High-balled as a potential buyer (more than usual) when they put it up for resale. Funny how that works ain't it!

Then again how many things can you buy that will usually keep working with very little maintenance from 10-20-100 years or more? That makes them a bargain.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,976 Senior Member
    BTW, I wish I could find guns priced at what the Blue Book assessments were set at.................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    BTW, I wish I could find guns priced at what the Blue Book assessments were set at.................

It was outdated the day it came out
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,887 Senior Member
    Go to a pawn shop and see if they will let you look at their book.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    I agree about looking on gunbroker.com this will give you a "real world" idea of what they are selling for. A good condition 29-2 in these parts would sell for $600 on the very low end to on up to $1000 plus, again depending on condition, barrel length, original grips etc....