9mm: Glock or 1911 or?

2»

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,325 Senior Member
    If the CZ 75 is in your list, that would be my 1st. choice. Excellent all-steel gun from a company from which you hear nothing but praises from its customers; the "Kadet" .22LR kit is also an awesome addition, works with almost all ammo you feed it with (Including cheap bulk), and is as accurate as you can shoot. All those I've tested performed flawlessly with any 9mm. load available and parts & accessories are found at the company's USA web page.

Choice # 2 for a range gun would be the Glock 17; had a 1st. gen. for a while and although I never liked it (And still don't), have to agree that is a reliable gun with a ton of aftermarket parts you can install to make it perfectly suitable for your needs.

The Springfield 1911 is a beauty; that would be my choice for a CCW.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    The Glock long slides, the P35, and the CZ-75 are all great choices - - IF you live an a state where you can acquire full cap mags for them. In California, they are merely really fatbodied ten rounders.

And let's not escape the fact that there are two kinds of handgun in this world:

1. 1911.

2. Other.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    The Glock long slides, the P35, and the CZ-75 are all great choices - - IF you live an a state where you can acquire full cap mags for them. In California, they are merely really fatbodied ten rounders.

This is a good point, and a fact that I overlooked. With that in mind I think your choice of available 9mm 1911 is probably a good call.

Also, as a side note, i've put 6-7K ish rounds if not more through mine (STI Trojan), and it's been a great one. Many .45 parts will still work on the 9mm, and 9mm specific parts are becoming far more common.

As far as magazines, go Wilson.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,650 Senior Member
    You do know you can buy one private party and I see the boards at the gun ranges full of guns for sale.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,065 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    You do know you can buy one private party and I see the boards at the gun ranges full of guns for sale.
    Yes - and I just may!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,065 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I like the 1911 RO.

A CZ or a sig would be good, too.

Of the three, a RO and a CZ are the two I've shot in 9mm
    I've shot a sig and a CZ knockoff in .40.

All were very good.
    I really have a hankering for a 1911 RO - that's the one that just "easy on the eyes", so to speak. I definitely will take a good look at whatever CZ I can as well as everyone here loves them too. It may be that I'll be able to buy in Florida soon as well, which would open up a lot more possibilities - we'll see! Half the fun is looking, thinking, and dreaming.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • dale17dale17 New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    I think you'd like the SA 1911 Loaded model chambered in 9mm. It's an outstanding pistol. I've had a Glock 17 and enjoyed it but not as much as the SA 1911. Have you considered a Sig P226? I recommend you shoot each pistol you are considering if at all possible. You need to make the decision that is right for you. Enjoy the hunt for the best pistol for your needs.
    NRA Member
    Les Baer SRP, Springfield TRP, Springfield Loaded,
    FN FiveseveN, Sig P226 Mk25, Glock 21 & 34
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Another vote for the RIA 1911 in 22TCM (assuming you can get one in PRC). I think they usually come with a 9mm barrel, too. Anyhoo, I'm gonna start panic buying 22TCM out here, see if I can beat the bandwagon to the punch. ;)
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    My two favorite pistols to shoot at the range are a Springfield Loaded Champion (4"bbl) in .45, and the CZ-75B 9mm. Both have lever safeties, which you said you want. Both are very easy to shoot accurately. Both are all steel. Since you are staying in CA, the 1911 probably makes more sense for you.

For self-defense, I prefer a striker fired pistol that I don't mind getting roughed up a bit, and Glock is the standard for that category, though I personally like the XD a little better (I have been hankerin' for a G19, lately, though).
2»