Accurate .223 / 5.56 recipies? Share your best.

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,807 Senior Member
I am turning to my .223 / .5.56's again.

The bolt guns are .223 and most likely need to be under 65 grains.

The current AR's are 1:9 twist and I haven't spent much time in the past three years behind their triggers.

With the current M855 looming ban and .223 hoarding about to commence , again, what are your pet loads?

And if you have any braggin' photos of target... show 'em.

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Well, you asked fer Accurate ......................:jester::rotflmao::spittingcoffee:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,122 Senior Member
    73gr Berger -- 23.5gr Varget
    77gr SMK -- 24gr Varget
    77gr Nosler CC -- 24.2gr Varget
    52gr Hndy Amax -- 25gr Varget

Working up a 45gr Berger load now.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,695 Senior Member
    68 gr. Hornady Match over 25 gr. Varget = 0.46 @100
    70 gr. Barnes TSX over 24.5 gr. Varget =0.65 @ 100 (have not tried 25 grains, yet)
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I've cut the 5.56s down to 2 ARs now and they both like 69gr Sierras over 25.2gr of Varget. I do load 77gr Sierras over 24.5gr of Varget for the 20" barrel and they do very nicely but I am going to work on that more this Spring I hope.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

"I am turning to my .223 / .5.56's again.

The current AR's are 1:9 twist and I haven't spent much time in the past three years behind their triggers.

With the current M855 looming ban and .223 hoarding about to commence , again, what are your pet loads?

And if you have any braggin' photos of target... show 'em."

My current offering in .223 is a cheapo Stevens Model 200 with a Hornady 68 grain HPBT Match Bullet over 26.1 grains Varget and a CCI SR Primer. It Doesn't like my favorite Bullets!

Why, just WHY!!! Every other rifle I've ever owned has LOVED Sierra Bullets, except this Savage product Abomination of a rifle! I don't know why, but I do know that it loves these Hornady match bullets. And it's capable of putting 5 of them inside half an inch.

BTW What does it being a .223 have to do with Twist Rate? It sounded like you were inferring that the 5.56 was the only way to have a tight twist. AND that your bolt guns were 223 because they were BOLT guns. Lot's of bolt guns can shoot either which makes them in effect 5.56. I don't know, maybe I just misinterpreted what you said, and if I did, I apologize up front. But that's what it sounded like.

This one I have now is 1:9, and my old Remington 788 had 1:12 twist. And it is my understanding that now Remington offers the tighter twists as well. And I'm talking Bolt Guns. Everybody is offering rifles in the tighter twists nowadays.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,807 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    BigDanS wrote: »

"I am turning to my .223 / .5.56's again.

And if you have any braggin' photos of target... show 'em."

My current offering in .223 is a cheapo Stevens Model 200 with a Hornady 68 grain HPBT Match Bullet over 26.1 grains Varget and a CCI SR Primer. It Doesn't like my favorite Bullets!

Why, just WHY!!! Every other rifle I've ever owned has LOVED Sierra Bullets, except this Savage product Abomination of a rifle! I don't know why, but I do know that it loves these Hornady match bullets. And it's capable of putting 5 of them inside half an inch.

BTW What does it being a .223 have to do with Twist Rate? It sounded like you were inferring that the 5.56 was the only way to have a tight twist. AND that your bolt guns were 223 because they were BOLT guns. Lot's of bolt guns can shoot either which makes them in effect 5.56. I don't know, maybe I just misinterpreted what you said, and if I did, I apologize up front. But that's what it sounded like.

This one I have now is 1:9, and my old Remington 788 had 1:12 twist. And it is my understanding that now Remington offers the tighter twists as well. And I'm talking Bolt Guns. Everybody is offering rifles in the tighter twists nowadays.

Standard .223 bolt rifle is 1:12 I believe which makes heavier bullets less likely to work well.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    23.5gr Varget Nosler 77gr CCHP from new Lilja bbl
    77NCCHP235VARG_zpsb19a1c0a.jpg

25.0 Varget 69gr SMK from OEM RRA barrel
    5at100.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Hey Knitepoet, what barrel length and any idea what muzzle velocity on the 77gr?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    It MIGHT be a bit off the reservation, work up with CAUTION, but it's produced one, .159" group, and most under .250".
    Remington brass, fully prepped, 29.4 gr CFE 223. Rem 7.5BR primers. 40gr V Max.
    It runs just over 3600 out of my 700 SPS.

CFE223 seems to prefer Remington primers. Groups were significantly better with Rem vs. CCI, in two cartridges, so far.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Hey Knitepoet, what barrel length and any idea what muzzle velocity on the 77gr?
    23.5" Lilja AR24 barrel, and no clue, haven't had it to the range since I replaced my chronograph
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

DAMN! Bet you love that lightweight barrel :roll2:. Fluted? Did you counterweight the barrel?
    - George Orwell
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,310 Senior Member
    W/O thread stealing (much), what is the difference between CCI #400 and 401 primers? I know 401 says for 5.56 but is it hotter or something? Is it necessary? I've used plain old tul small rifle with fine results.

Oh and to keep it on topic, I load 24gr of Varget with 52 gr Hornady BTHP Match bullets. Pretty small sample so far but seems like good results.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BamaAK, I BELIEVE it has a harder cup :uhm:

NC, it's the same contour as the barrel I replaced, just 3.5" longer