The range, she was open.

ArmoredmanArmoredman MemberPosts: 344 Member
I did not take my big camera, and I am glad - the wind was so strong it knocked my regular target stand over multiple times, despite the sand filled legs and three grocery bags filled with rocks across them. My expensive and irreplacable Canon would have bitten the dust, and I would be very, very unhappy.

Instead, I am very happy, bordering on ecstatic, possibly euphoric, edging towards utter glee. Why? I got the Scorpion out to sight in the red dot.

Sight%20in%20red%20dot%202%2027%202015_zpsmsrymbjf.jpg

I started with the setup I had before, front rested, but with the single point sling on and tight for additional support. To be fair, I started at ten yards. When I got the elevation and windage right, it was quite interesting.

This is the load I think I will run in it regularly.

10%20yards%20XTP%20load%20benched%20red%20dot_zpssfxqghnj.jpg

Just for contrast, a cast bullet powder coated load.

124%20gr%20Cast%20Lee%2010%20yds%20rested_zps0chnf3uk.jpg

Then I moved it back to 20 yards, figuring that would be more likely for a firearm of this type in a home. Front rested again.

20%20yds%20XTP%20front%20rested_zpsagxiarnn.jpg

What the...multiple test targets all showed the same thing, shooting high. So I said ah, the heck wid it, and stood up. The wind howled in demonic glee, my fellow shooters ran for shelter, and the mighty Moljnar spoke! OK, not quite that dramatic, but the wind did durn near blow me off my feet.

20%20yds%20standing%20XTP%20first%20time%20red%20dot_zpsow2jx2dj.jpg

Holy great garbanzo beans! Can I do that again?

20%20yds%20standing%20XTP%20did%20it%20again%20red%20dot_zpsh12kdpgc.jpg

Guess so. I kept getting consistent groups point of aim at 20 yards standing, red dot on, front "wrap" hold.

As always I found one tiny little thing I need to look at - recoil bangs my hand on the hand stop - wondering if a piece of hard rubber glued there might help. Worth looking into.

Now I know I can hit what I aim at with my favorite load, which is fast enough and good enough for SD if were to so choose. Of course I don't recommend handloads for self defense, but if push comes to shove...I know that this is the Internet and according to the members of the 83rd Chairborne, my accuracy is terrible, but I'll take it. :cool2:
I'd do a cartwheel, but at my age it would turn into a flat tire... :yikes: :rotflmao:

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Nice! I'm still considering one of those for meself.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,900 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard

Interesting gun what does it weigh with all that stuff and a full mag?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Looks like fun to me.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Nice report. I see you used XTPs. What shape were the cast bullets? Did everything feed reliably? No hiccups?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Welcome
    looks like a neat gun
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 344 Member
    The cast bullets are the Lee 124 grain Tumble Lube style, shown here in a custom color powder coating.

20141027_183836_zpsc1d9016e.jpg

As for feeding issues, the Scorpion has had one issue that it seems to have worked through - when brand new once in a great while it would lock the slide back with rounds still in the magazine. That seems to have broken itself in, so I haven't seen it in a bit. Other than that, the Scorpion ate everything I fed it, no difficulties.

And yes, it IS a neat gun - looking into the SBR route.