Marlin Model 80 range report

North ForestNorth Forest MemberPosts: 310 Member
Made it up to the old quarry pit up on the mountain to check out the Marlin today, usually I have the place to myself but today there was a young fellow there with his girlfriend who were shooting several different rifles. I set up the target at 50 yards, and tried not to be distracted by the young fellow's girl friend who was doing mag dumps from the hip with his AR........(sheesh)......anyway, all in all the old .22 did fairly well, but I did have about 5 fail-to-feeds, where the lead bullet seemed to be hanging up on the edge of the entry to the barrel. Not sure if the issue is the cheap ammo or sticky action or both, I'll clean and lube and try different ammo next time and see if I still have any issues. I was using some pretty cheap Federal "Lightning" cartridges with lead bullets. The young fellow let me try a couple of his rifles, one round each, the first a very old looking Savage lever action with iron sights that he said was chambered in .300 something, and an old Swedish Mauser with peep sights. In the photo below on the lower target the bullseye was from the Savage, the other larger caliber hit from the Mauser. I have a lot to learn about rifles, any advice you gentlemen may have is appreciated.

22%20shoot.jpg

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    Looking good :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have a store brand tube magazine version of the same gun. If I dont leave the bolt open to load the magazine it will hang the first round up every time.

Good shooting.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    The lever gun was more than likely a Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage, a good rifle and cartridge. Your second group with the 22 seems tighter. Were you shooting off hand or from a rest position?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 310 Member
    I was shooting from a rest position, off hand with rifle I seem a bit shaky, I'm getting old, which sucks, physically. I always think I have the potential to do better though, with determination and practice.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Consider this range trip as a 'familiarization.' Then, go back when there are less distractions and work on finding out what you can really do with this rifle.

My eyes have not been up to iron sights for several years, so I can't really gauge how well you did at 50 yards. My experience with bolt action Marlin .22's are that the rifle itself is probably capable of putting 10 shots inside of 2" (or less), with a scope and the right ammo, and using sand bags. What you can do with the rifle, without a scope and off-hand, will simply be a function of how good your eyes are and how much you practice. If you know what the rifle itself is capable of, with as many variables removed as possible, you will be able to gauge how well you are doing, personally.

It's all fun, too. :up:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    This getting old crap sucks. I remember when I was a kid lighting matches with it. My son could probably brain a squirrel at 50-75 yds. I would never scope it as it is original but it's tapped for an aperture which I am seriously considering.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    You are off to good start with that ole .22 rifle. Keep shootin it every chance you get and you will get better and better and find out what ammo it performs best with, the rifles and your capabilities.

Hey, you got it on paper the first time out...................it could have been much worse. You actually did pretty darn good first time out.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Mine is a late 20's early 30's model. I updated the sling swivels and added the piece of a 5gal bucket at the buttplate. Serving it's 4th generation.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    The 300 Savage is a .308 caliber rifle, not to be confused with .308 Winchester. In this instance 308 is merely the bullet diameter, not the name of the cartridge, so a .300 Savage shoots a .308 diameter bullet. Now having said that, the Swedish Mauser is shooting a 6.5 MM (.264 inch) diameter bullet, which is smaller than the .300 Savage. The Swede may look bigger to you but it isn't. The case is a little bigger, but the bullet is smaller. Either are great deer rifles.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    Considering the situation, seems like decent accuracy to me. You'll have to try it under better conditions (Including other brands/types of ammo) to have a definitive performance idea.