Home Main Category Personal Defense

Ferguson police shot during protest.

shushshush Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31846425

''Two police officers have been shot in Ferguson, a Missouri town hit by riots over the killing of an unarmed black teenager last year.''

More peaceful protesting?

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Funny how only foreign media is covering this!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • NNNN Posts: 25,236 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Funny how only foreign media is covering this!!!
    Actually, it is all over the news.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 14,104 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    There you go bringing up those pesky facts.
    Meh.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    The race baiters/instigators have made life worse for blacks and police around the country stirring up trouble, not helped make things better.................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just pull the cops out of these neighborhoods and let them handle their own security. The inmates can run the asylum, and the animals can run the zoo!
    Jerry
  • samzheresamzhere Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Just pull the cops out of these neighborhoods and let them handle their own security. The inmates can run the asylum, and the animals can run the zoo!
    Jerry

This is fairly reasonable as a police response. I'm thinking that cops everywhere will get the message about arresting black criminals or even going to a complaint where the perp is black. They'll simply drive by and wave or otherwise ignore the complaints.

I'm afraid it will come to that, which is precisely what will be the correct outcome. Let the common folks deal with thugs in their own neighborhood without the police helping, see how long that is tolerated.
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Obama and Holder to the rescue! They're talking about taking over the Ferguson PD and making things more better. Yay! :vomit:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    This is fairly reasonable as a police response. I'm thinking that cops everywhere will get the message about arresting black criminals or even going to a complaint where the perp is black. They'll simply drive by and wave or otherwise ignore the complaints.

I'm afraid it will come to that, which is precisely what will be the correct outcome. Let the common folks deal with thugs in their own neighborhood without the police helping, see how long that is tolerated.

Just send all black cops into those areas. Then if a Black shots a Black, excuse me, not if but when, then we'll see who Sharpton can come up with to blame.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • topguntopgun Posts: 128 Member
    Any rationally thinking dolt should have realized, that when the DOJ blamed the establishment for all the black rioting and looting, that more was to come.

I'm thinking that the DOJ is something less than a "dolt".
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,817 Senior Member
    As a career cop, I have to say you can't just pull out and let the outlaws run the system. Can't do that in an asylum, either. Every where I worked, cops had to swear an oath, and that oath doesn't make exceptions for uncomfortable situations. There are some good people in Ferguson and you can't just turn your back on them.

The city of Ferguson had/has some VERY serious racial issues and was headed by an incompetent LEO with one of the main purposes of making money. This is not the purpose of LE. It was pretty obvious when the event occurred that the chief was in WAY over his head. Not the officer's shooting to protect himself, but the numb-nutted way it was handled. Terrible.

There were 125 protesters last night, with only minor fracases until the shooting.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,286 Senior Member
    I'm sure Jesse and Al will be in town soon to express their outrage...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Would a Ferguson Police Department painted AC130 be Overkill? A-10s with blue lights too much? Bet the streets would be clear and peaceful. :cool2: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TeachTeach Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    They need about a month of the same treatment the NYPD gave DeBlasio.
    Jerry
    The thing is, if you let outlaws run the system, it not only defeats the purpose of law enforcement, it empowers the outlaws. If a person wants to be a hero to all people, maybe he should become a member of an animal shelter or be a fireman. Cops are not liked by the people who are jerks, and actually by anyone who gets a ticket. It's the price a cop pays for doing his job. (His job doesn't involve making money for the people he works for. Such a thing denigrates law enforcement.) And his job should be as free from bigotry as humanly possible. We're (cops) are as human as the next person, and as humans have human faults.

I've been in situations where a guy was shot through the head in a crowd and have had people shout "Do CPR! You're a cop!" them fully knowing the guy was dead. Crowds shouting all sorts of things, not all or even maybe most anti-cop, but a number of them definitely anti. In the situation, you call for backup and try not to piss off the crowd who outnumbers you 75 to one or two. You can feel the hatred.

Let them vent. It's what they do. They usually don't really understand why they're venting, but still shout and scream and yell. It's reaction to stress. And cops are in the middle, between the perp and the victims.

We take crap. As one famous cop said, "We're in the crap taking business." It's what we do. No cop started wildly firing back when two of them got shot. That's discipline.

Al Sharpton does not like cops. Instead of condemning the cops shooting, he said he doesn't "condone" shooting LEOs. Who does except radicals on the left AND the right? The president tweeted it wasn't a good thing. Oh, really? The AG said it was a punk who shot the cops, which is true, but not quite the extent of the crime. A moderate statement when he should have (IMO) made a stronger statement.

I havent yet seen how it's gone tonight. I hope it's been good.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

Yeah. I tried replying to this as well. Local coverage was pretty decent and Fox also had the story. Yesterday and today, almost wall to wall. I didn't bother checking CNN, figured they had it too.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bowserbbowserb Posts: 277 Member
    The blame for all that has happened in Ferguson belongs squarely on the back of the Instigator In Chief, Obama. At the outset, instead of first staying the hell out of a local matter, he had to go on TV. Then, instead of asking for calm and for the system to do what it does, he stirred the pot, then got his lap dog Eric Withholder to stir things even more. The president caused the riots in Ferguson. It's all just more hope and change. He is going to do as much damage as he can to America while he is still in office. It's just great how he avoided speaking about the two police officers shot in Ferguson while he flew to Los Angeles to appear on the Jimmy Kimmel show. This president is irresponsible and destructive to an extent I would not have imagined possible.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • bisleybisley Posts: 10,815 Senior Member
    I hate that this whole situation became so polarized along party lines. Clearly destructive riots that occurred early on and this recent shooting are inexcusable, but the general protest and displeasure with the police force seems to be warranted, even if the Brown shooting was deemed a good shoot. Finding that a specific police force is some combination of corrupt, incompetent, abuses power, and or racially biased should not be all that much of a shock to people. Unchecked government authority does have a tendency to lead to such problems (Yes I know how funny that statement sounds coming from the token liberal). That said it doesn't mean it can't be fixed or that we shouldn't have police forces at all.

Can you at least admit that this administration used this incident as a hunting license to go after the Ferguson police department? Or that their comments before the facts were known prejudiced the investigation? Or that they owe an apology to the officer involved, for helping the race pimps and the media ruin his career and disrupt his life in a way that will require many years to return to normal?

The AG statements (in fact, if not whole-heartedly) completely exonerated the Ferguson police in this particular case, yet they offered no words of support to the man who actually put his life at risk to do the job he was sworn to do. Instead, the AG took the medicine he had no choice but to take, and quickly moved on to other accusations and threats of federal take-over that should send a chill down the spine of every free citizen.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,429 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The thing is, if you let outlaws run the system, it not only defeats the purpose of law enforcement, it empowers the outlaws. If a person wants to be a hero to all people, maybe he should become a member of an animal shelter or be a fireman. Cops are not liked by the people who are jerks, and actually by anyone who gets a ticket.

Police have a tough damn job. No one is ever happy to see a cop. Even if they show up in time to save you from a bad guy- you are still in the situation that you need help. Traffic stops, someone stole your car, someone is hurt, etc... When you deal with police, it is almost NEVER a good time for you. Often, it's on the worst day of your life. Cops catch a lot of crap from people, and the ones that can make it through that without becoming mean, distrustful, and insular are true heros.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bisley wrote: »
    Can you at least admit that this administration used this incident as a hunting license to go after the Ferguson police department? Or that their comments before the facts were known prejudiced the investigation? Or that they owe an apology to the officer involved, for helping the race pimps and the media ruin his career and disrupt his life in a way that will require many years to return to normal?

The AG statements (in fact, if not whole-heartedly) completely exonerated the Ferguson police in this particular case, yet they offered no words of support to the man who actually put his life at risk to do the job he was sworn to do. Instead, the AG took the medicine he had no choice but to take, and quickly moved on to other accusations and threats of federal take-over that should send a chill down the spine of every free citizen.

All you say is true, but Ferguson needed some attention from high-ups, IMO. It took a justified shooting to bring that attention. I don't think the AG exonerated Ferguson PD, just the officer.

I don't see any attempt by the Feds to take over policing. In my state, a long time back, the town of Ludiwici had a speed trap that was as blatant as the one in Ferguson, maybe more. The governor at that time, Lester Maddox (who got fame for refusing to serve blacks) tried to discourage the city, but that didn't work. So he hired a billboard at the city limits saying "Warning: Speed Trap" and stationed State Troopers at each entrance to town. The speed trap dried up.

I say this to point out that sometimes police agencies get out of control and need policing themselves. If the statistics stated by the AG are true, and I think they probably are, Ferguson PD needed someone to step in. One case he cited was where an officer wrote 14 tickets on one stop. Cops were encouraged to make multiple charges; there were even competitions on how many tickets they could write on a single stop.

The thing is, when a PD has such a serious problem, who does the public turn to?
    That said I won't hold my breath waiting for you to acknowledge that Furgason and St Louis in general does have a race problem and that despite the outcome in this particular incident that the Furgason PD is about as competent and non-corrupt as the NOLA PD circa Katrina.

I do not doubt this in the least. The resignations already indicate that, to some degree. I am just a little bit disgusted by politicians who initiate investigations on unsubstantiated testimony so they can use it on a fishing expedition for political gain.

If you can use the covert racism of a handful of policemen to justify condemning the entire police force, why, then, can't the more radical members of an entire minority group (who set the city on fire) be used to blame an entire race? Democrats justify all of their misdeeds by equating them to the misdeeds of Republicans, so where are they on this? If you say it's a matter of degree, I'll throw up.
    Gene L wrote: »
    All you say is true, but Ferguson needed some attention from high-ups, IMO. It took a justified shooting to bring that attention. I don't think the AG exonerated Ferguson PD, just the officer.

I specified "this particular incident," because there were no complaints that I know of about them using excessive force to quell the riots. This was one incident, the racial slurs in emails were another incident. When you used to get search warrants, didn't the issuing judge require you to specify what you were looking for, to protect the rights of the person being searched?
    I don't see any attempt by the Feds to take over policing. In my state, a long time back, the town of Ludiwici had a speed trap that was as blatant as the one in Ferguson, maybe more. The governor at that time, Lester Maddox (who got fame for refusing to serve blacks) tried to discourage the city, but that didn't work. So he hired a billboard at the city limits saying "Warning: Speed Trap" and stationed State Troopers at each entrance to town. The speed trap dried up.

I say this to point out that sometimes police agencies get out of control and need policing themselves. If the statistics stated by the AG are true, and I think they probably are, Ferguson PD needed someone to step in. One case he cited was where an officer wrote 14 tickets on one stop. Cops were encouraged to make multiple charges; there were even competitions on how many tickets they could write on a single stop.

The thing is, when a PD has such a serious problem, who does the public turn to?

I have no problem with the feds investigating civil rights infractions, as long as the complaints that initiated the investigation are credible, and they don't tar with a wide brush. The Ferguson investigation was purely political, by a corrupt and dishonest AG with a six year track record of either directly targeting political enemies, or turning a blind eye to it.

As for the feds wanting to take over local police forces, this administration would do it in a heartbeat if they could figure out how to get away with it.
    Not sure exactly what you mean about search warrants. You have to specify who and what you're looking for. However, Email on a government owned server are pretty well open to seizure since they're not personal property. Or if you're using a private email to do government work. Ask Hillary about this.
    I'm just saying it was a fishing expedition, for political purposes, and that the bogus and unproved accusations against the policeman should not have been used to justify it.
    All investigations are to some extent fishing expeditions. And all charges are unproved until tried in a court of law. Doesn't mean they didn't happen. I'm not sure what political goals the AG had in mind; I saw his speech and for perhaps the only time in his career, he had plenty of information to back up the charges (not "illegal" practices) of Ferguson PD. It seemed fair to me. Email was just one of the alleged wrongs. Records of arrest and ticket revenue are pretty much supported by public records.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Posts: 2,614 Senior Member
    So now they need a new police chief. Any takers?

Personally, if I were a LEO, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. And I think it would send a very powerful message if no one expressed any interest in it.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JermanatorJermanator Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Gene is spot on. While Holder's witch hunt for racists didn't really turn up much, he did do Ferguson and everyone else a favor by exposing a bullying, predatory local government. I am sure that most of the Ferguson cops are good people, but good people can do bad things by obeying a corrupt money grubbing administration. The residents in that area have every right to be pissed off at the police department, but racism is not the real reason. Ian Tuttle with National Review explains it pretty well here...

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/415041/injustice-doj-uncovered-ferguson-wasnt-racism-ian-tuttle
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Good read. Government run amuck.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY