Home Main Category Clubhouse

the time of passing the Torch is getting closer.

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,534 Senior Member
At final formation yesterday I mentioned it was the 12 year year anniversary of Ground War starting in Iraq. No one in Formation was there, besides me. My Platoons Sergeants had just graduated AIT, but were not in Units that deployed until 2004/5.

I am the only person that was in the Army when we went into Afghanistan in October 01.
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    At final formation yesterday I mentioned it was the 12 year year anniversary of Ground War starting in Iraq. No one in Formation was there, besides me. My Platoons Sergeants had just graduated AIT, but were not in Units that deployed until 2004/5.

I am the only person that was in the Army when we went into Afghanistan in October 01.

That kind of stuff makes ya feel old, but congratulations and thank you for your service.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Yeah all it seems I do anymore is teach. Thank You thank you very much.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wait until you have soldiers who weren't even born yet when you came into the Army or will be eligible to enlist after you retire................lets see it is 2015 now so I guess those born in what 1997 or so are of age to come in....Wow, now that will make you feel old.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Yeah, that is a strange place to be. It seems that seniority comes out of nowhere in this business.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Yeah I look at my apprentices and say Boy I was doing this before you missed being a mattress stain.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member

And for that , I thank you for your continued service.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    Shane, I can sort of relate since most of the drivers I work with on the ambulance now were born during my career.

The other day I worked with the GRANDSON of a woman I used to work with.

I know it's different than combat/serving, but it does open one's eyes as to how old you're getting :yikes:

I think hitting the big "five-oh" later this year is gonna HURT :tissue:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Youngest grandson is a Lance Corporal, currently deployed to Spain- - - -

100_45471.JPG

Knitepoet dubbed him "Gun-Ho" some years ago.
    :usa:
    Jerry
    We need to lure more kids into the shooting sports to counter what society is doing to them. Teach them proper gun safety and how much fun guns can be when properly handled. You should see a 10-12 year old the first time they get to cut loose with a Gatling or beltfed. They are hooked for life. Muzzleloaders are also a great teaching tool. They get all of the mechanics of loading and the smoke and fire to boot. If all us old guys got out there there wouldn't be any anti's left in a few generations. I have to get my Christmas forest back up for my daughter's and their friends in a few weeks. Kids naturally are dumbasses when it comes to these things and they need grownups to teach them right.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

Knitepoet dubbed him "Gun-Ho" some years ago.
    :usa:
    Jerry
    Jerry, before I got to the part I quoted, the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw his pic was "Hey gun-ho" :roll2:

For those unfamiliar with the back story, I gave him that name at his first SE shoot, when, if offered the chance, wanted to shoot any & every gun there. Though he did eventually "chicken out" from shooting TennMike's 50BMG. (But he did snuggle up to it, he just couldn't bring himself to touch it off)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Yeah, I look at the two star down at Camp Lejeune and think he looks so young.

Then Clean says she is old enough to be the mother or grandmother of most if not all the Marines at CPNC.
    And we were their age when we first got stationed here.

And for me there are 3 worn out A/C on permanent static display here that were first line A/C when we arrived and
    another that came in 1975. I flew in each of the 4.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia