Home Main Category Clubhouse

This is an amazing example of expert flying

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,635 Senior Member
Jaywapti sent me this. Pilots and non-pilots alike will be impressed, but I'm not sure you can view it without a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1157166247334&set=vb......1173074047&type=2&theater
JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    You do realize that is fake right?
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    I apologize for the misinformation, it was sent to me by a good friend who is a FAA inspector and I had no reason to think it was fake.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,635 Senior Member
    You do realize that is fake right?

Absent the snopes article, who would know? It looked pretty real to me.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    First time I saw it, I simply looked closely at the exhaust and knew it was a rc aircraft. Then, a close look at the grass in the photo as the little plane was landing, and of course the landing gear and bounce was a complete giveaway.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I never read the snopes article.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I thought it was a model halfway through.

Loose a wing loose your plane and buy the farm.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    The whole video was one of perspective. Everything that happened in it, happened with the element of visuals that suggested a smaller scale, until the final second or two of the landing roll out. That so many people were fooled is noteworthy, since hunters, shooters, military people who frequent these boards have hobbies that rely heavily on astute observation and analytical and critical thinking. If one has watched even the lightest air craft performing stunts, one knows that physically and aerodynamically, these planes cannot overcome gravity through sheer prop power alone when climbing vertically. Eventually, they stall. With RC planes, often the power of the engine is way out of scale with regards to their larger brothers.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    The whole video was one of perspective. Everything that happened in it, happened with the element of visuals that suggested a smaller scale, until the final second or two of the landing roll out. That so many people were fooled is noteworthy, since hunters, shooters, military people who frequent these boards have hobbies that rely heavily on astute observation and analytical and critical thinking. If one has watched even the lightest air craft performing stunts, one knows that physically and aerodynamically, these planes cannot overcome gravity through sheer prop power alone when climbing vertically. Eventually, they stall. With RC planes, often the power of the engine is way out of scale with regards to their larger brothers.

If they have a thrust to weight ratio of more than 1:1 they could continue to climb vertically or you could (in therory) control the rate of descent. I think if the plane isn't moving foward the wings couldn't overcome the torque of the prop and the plane would start to turn opposite the prop like a helicoptor without a tail rotor.... No way you could get it back on it's wheels to land though..........

A quick search only turned up one (experimental) prop plane with a 1.65:1 ratio.........

http://www.turbinetoucan.com/aircraft/
    Being the only propeller driven aircraft with a better-than-one-to-one power- to-weight ratio, the Turbine Toucan was designed to do what no other aircraft in the world can, 3D aerobatics. And what is even more impressive, it will be the only fixed wing GA aircraft in the world that can hover (well… that's the plan and we're sticking to it)!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    As soon as it lost the wing I knew it was a model. Its movement was too quirky to have been a real full size plane. And the pilot in level flight wasn't moving around at all, looked like a statue. That's always a give away.

Then when it landed and turn at the stop, conveniently you couldn't see the "Missing" wing, because that was a real plane with a real pilot.

But at first I admit I didn't notice any of this. Only when the plane (again conveniently) left the video frame and then came back in it without its right wing did I become suspicious anthing was amiss.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.