Home Main Category General Firearms

Help select a 9mm

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,430 Senior Member
I am looking to get a pistol primarily for range use. I use a local range that has traditional paper target shooting, a decent steel range, and an occasional three gun match. Also have some property where I can do whatever...

Choice is currently narrowed to G34 and HK VP9. I already have a CZ 75 and a whole bunch of stuff chambered in .40, .45, 10mm, etc. Just looking for an economical out of the box range gun.

Opinions? Maybe both is the best option!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,483 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,108 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,746 Senior Member
    I recently shot a 34 for the first time and liked it a lot - although the 10 round California magazine was VERY hard to load past about 5 rounds. Dunno about a standard version mag...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,475 Senior Member
    if you have any rental ranges i would try all you can and go from there.

depending on what is "economical" to you in terms of dollars that can make a difference.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,022 Senior Member
    Them get a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    Price is roughly the same.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    If you like the CZ75 you'll love the EAA Witness. You can swap calibers and configurations from 22-45 compact to extended/comped.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,649 Senior Member
    http://www.gunblast.com/RockIsland-22TCM.htm

Be the first to tell us how it performs.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Just looking for an economical out of the box range gun

Guess I won't say S&W 952 then
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,778 Senior Member
    Out of those two, I'd go Glock. But if it were me, id get another CZ-75.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Yep, I'd go for an SP01 or 75SA

Got an SP01 and really like it. I should have been more specific - striker fired full size 9mm.... Leaning towards the Glock due to longer barrel / sight radius but I only have one HK and the VP9's trigger is awful nice.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,906 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Got an SP01 and really like it. I should have been more specific - striker fired full size 9mm.... Leaning towards the Glock due to longer barrel / sight radius but I only have one HK and the VP9's trigger is awful nice.

If your HK is the P30, which the VP-9 shares mags with, I'd get the VP-9. Magazine commonality is a beautiful thing.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Out of the two listed, I'd go with the 34......

However, if I didn't already have the support gear for it (I own 4 9mm Glocks and already have mags, pouches, and holsters for them), I'd look into an FNS-9L.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?bl=200003&ca=5000193&mfg=1000112&mo=3000803

fns9l.jpg
    Thanks! For some reason I didn't think FN was making a long slide version.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,452 Senior Member
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,906 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Out of the two listed, I'd go with the 34......

However, if I didn't already have the support gear for it (I own 4 9mm Glocks and already have mags, pouches, and holsters for them), I'd look into an FNS-9L.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?bl=200003&ca=5000193&mfg=1000112&mo=3000803

fns9l.jpg

The bald man makes a good point. The FNS really impresses me.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Just ordered a Walther PPQ M2 Five Inch 9mm after much tire kicking and comparison shopping. Lots of strong contenders in the longer barrel "competition" size polymer guns.
    However long it takes grabagun.com to send to my FFL for the transfer. Probably a week or so.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,022 Senior Member
    Well, we can see who's gets theirs first.

Klinger lost the last time.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,371 Senior Member
    Just ordered a Walther PPQ M2 Five Inch 9mm after much tire kicking and comparison shopping. Lots of strong contenders in the longer barrel "competition" size polymer guns.

I think you will be very happy with you selection. my daughter ended up with the PPQ M1 version after trying everything we could get our hands on. After firing it myself, I was jealous it was hers :drool:

Sako
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Only 9 Sillymeter that really excites me is a Sig 210..............maybe someday, other than that I really don't have any interest in hardly any of them. I own a Ruger P-89 and shoots it now and again and like similar Wondernines it feeds and shoots about like one would expect. Very reliable.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    For out of the box reliability and decent accuracy, Glock as was recommended by others.

Glocks aren't pretty (they have a Teutonic appeal, I was told) and the grip can be a little clubby, but they are a bargain, easy to care for, work fine, and will also serve nicely in self defense if needed.

Plenty of other fine pistols, of course, "cuter" than a Glock. But hey.
    Maybe one day I will look into getting into that whole Glock thing.... :)
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    Personally my wrists are not limp enough for a Glock!!! They are fused at the angle JMB intended.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,746 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Well, we can see who's gets theirs first.

Klinger lost the last time.

Will this time too, as I'm not yet ready - neither decision-wise nor money-wise. Will probably be around September - gonna try to hit the range next weekend and try out a 9mm 1911.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Springfield Range Officer 9mm.
    Springfield Range Officer 9mm.

Might have to order one of those as well. Seems like a pretty good product for its price.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Maybe one day I will look into getting into that whole Glock thing.... :)

Glocks are fine, just different.

I've got both Glocks (30 & 36) and .45 1911s and although there's nuttin' like a nice 1911 in .45acp of course, Glocks have their appeal: Relatively inexpensive, and about the most reliable pistol you can find for the price, also acceptably accurate for their purpose (SD and police/military) and nearly indestructible. They also work fine out of the box although you might wish to look into getting a lighter trigger. But otherwise they're pretty okay.

As I've said before, I'm like Larry Olivier in Spartacus, liking both "snails and oysters" but without the obvious sexual connotations (which is interesting in itself, owing to Olivier's own lifestyle). But anyway, I like BOTH Glocks and non-Glocks (more standard metal frame guns) and enjoy the variety of shooting both styles.

One thing about a Glock: you load it and let it sit for 6 months, but when you pick it up and pull the trigger, it goes bang, no muss no fuss no preparations.