Home Main Category General Firearms

It's here!!!! My GRAIL!!!

Replies

• Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    . But right now smokeless with .

:yikes: Doing that, with that rifle will make hair grow on your palms and might cause you to go blind...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,623 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Buffalo Arms

These people are going to be your friends....good folks....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    That is really, really nice. Congrats

I'm jealous as well.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Beautiful Case Hardened metal and awesome wood. I love it!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,210 Senior Member
    My Dad is to blame for this.....he gave me the rifle underneath it as my first rifle. A savage 72.
    Your dad gets credit not blame.
    :that: :agree:

:yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Your Dad is a wise man. And you are as wise to follow his lead. Those are some Awesome looking rifles!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    I'm looking at a Montana Vntage Arms vernier tang with a spirit globe front sight.

Vernier sight is a "must" for these Sharps.....very nice rifle indeed.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    That is a fine looking rifle!!! Beautiful!!! Congratulations and you suck!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Dang, we can call start calling you Buffalo Bill Cody now :jester:

Very nice, enjoy. :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,654 Senior Member
    Wow!!

She is purty. Not a grail of mine, but it is on the list of "if I run into"

:yousuck: big time
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    Hah, we got ya now... Put a set of tang sights and a globe on the front of that Savage and come shoot 22 bpcr with us.. Then the sillouttes and creedmoor, gong matches, oh lordy the expense has just begun..:roll2:

Tempting, awfully tempting but I think it stays as it is for now. I've shot more small game with that set up than probably all my other rifles combined!
    :yikes: Doing that, with that rifle will make hair grow on your palms and might cause you to go blind...
    Opened a can of worms with that one didn't I, relax I will shoot black I just need to gather the stuff and after the rifle it will take me a bit......nag:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That is really, really nice. Congrats

I'm jealous as well.
    Thanks
    knitepoet wrote: »
    :that: :agree:

:yousuck:
    Yup;-)
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Your Dad is a wise man. And you are as wise to follow his lead. Those are some Awesome looking rifles!

I need to get a high wall to round out the single shots. Dad started it all. Dad loves to shoot, and taught us to enjoy the shooting sports. Thanks Dad!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,210 Senior Member
    Dad started it all. Dad loves to shoot, and taught us to enjoy the shooting sports. Thanks Dad!
    :applause:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Antonio wrote: »
    Vernier sight is a "must" for these Sharps.....very nice rifle indeed.
    You bet!
    Jay wrote: »
    That is a fine looking rifle!!! Beautiful!!! Congratulations and you suck!
    pretty good taste for a French modle!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Spectacular gun!!! The case hardening is just gorgeous!!!
    Thanks, Brother!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Dang, we can call start calling you Buffalo Bill Cody now :jester:

Very nice, enjoy. :guns::guns:
    maybe Ile start a Wild West show. Buffy can ride .....well whatever he wants.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,760 Senior Member
    I need to get a high wall to round out the single shots.

Yes. Yes you do.

The Sharps is an incredible implement in its own complex way. The Marlin/Ballard with its blindingly fast lock-time is stupefyingly elegant when you consider that Charles had the basic unit in the field at the start of the Civil War. Rolling blocks - genius in simplicity. I can't say anything better about the Martini than Kipling has already.

The '85 Winchester? Browning had his quiet way of saying "Well. . .if you boys are through screwin' around. . ."
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    My Shiloh Sharps .45 2 1/10 number 3 sporter wears a 30" heavy octogon. Sights are my next project, they will have to wait to replenish my fun tokens, but the barrel sights will work for now... This rifle is one I have dreamed about since I was old enough to know what a sharps was. Growing up in Wyoming seing originals around was all it took to get me hooked. A long time coming......

Is that like a Grail Gun you use to shoot Snipes and Grails???:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Yes. Yes you do.

The Sharps is an incredible implement in its own complex way. The Marlin/Ballard with its blindingly fast lock-time is stupefyingly elegant when you consider that Charles had the basic unit in the field at the start of the Civil War. Rolling blocks - genius in simplicity. I can't say anything better about the Martini than Kipling has already.

The '85 Winchester? Browning had his quiet way of saying "Well. . .if you boys are through screwin' around. . ."
    Next year probably........fun tokens are spoken for getting the Sharps shooting.
    It's a Sharps, mythical rifle that can shoot it all at 1200 yds.......just ask Matthew Quigley:tooth:
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I'm very late to congratulate you. Beautiful gun. I'm envious.
    It's a Sharps, mythical rifle that can shoot it all at 1200 yds.......just ask Matthew Quigley:tooth:

Quigley was a amateur (and fictitious)...Billy Dixon, Adobe Walls, Texas, June, 1874... .50 - 2 1/2 (.50-90) 1538 yards.... The shot has been duplicated a couple of times since....
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Quigley was a amateur (and fictitious)...Billy Dixon, Adobe Walls, Texas, June, 1874... .50 - 2 1/2 (.50-90) 1538 yards.... The shot has been duplicated a couple of times since....
    Tongue firmly in cheek!!! Billy Dixon was a good shot!
    My money says Dixon made that shot with a round barreled 44, that's the rifle he owned at the time..

Maybe if nothing else if you can get up to Carpenter on the 18th, I'll put together a care package for your rifle, and you can pick it up while I'm there shooting the 22 match.
    My money says Dixon made that shot with a round barreled 44, that's the rifle he owned at the time..

Dixon clearly said in his memoirs that he had lost his rifle when he overturned his wagon in the creek as he was coming in to Adobe Walls...picked up a new .44 from Hanrahan's Store but borrowed the "Big Fifty" for his shot....

Yeah I know what it is and I love it. Just pulling your chain. I loved that movie.
    You can say gorgeous it's ok :tooth:

You gotta forgive Sam, he's an ol' guy like me, and Gorgeous ain't in our Vocabulary! :tooth:

We have trouble spelling such words, hehehehehe! It's Purty OK?
    :silly:..........:tissue:..........:roll:
    No what Dixon said was he used Hanrahan's bartenders 50 while at the saloon as he only had one belt of cartridges for his 44. He had bought a case of cartridges with the rifle the afternoon before the fight broke out. When the fight slowed down he and Hanrahan made a dash for the store where they both had left their ammunition. Hanrahan took his ammunition and went back to the saloon. He stayed at the store..
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    That is about the coolest rifle ever built - beautiful. :yousuck:

Maybe if nothing else if you can get up to Carpenter on the 18th, I'll put together a care package for your rifle, and you can pick it up while I'm there shooting the 22 match.
    Sounds like a plan! Thank you!