Home Main Category Clubhouse

Scamed-- almost

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,931 Senior Member
My wife raises cats, gets an e-mail's from someone that wants to buy a cat, she sent a check for &1800.00 and wants her to cash the check, keep the money for the cat and send the balance to someone in another state by Postal Money order. If she cashes the check and sends the balance and the check doesn't clear than she's out $1800. Jen has kept all the e-mails and texts, I'm thinking this should go to the Feds, what's your thoughts about this ?

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I wouldn't do it. Get a check for the correct amount and don't send the kitty until the check clears. Or get them to use PAYPAL.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    Scam for sure. Don't EVEN think of sending the Postal Money order. That scam of sending a check for way more than the purchase price and sending a money order to another address is as old as the Nigerian money scams. Report to Feds for sure. They might investigate, but do little about it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    More fishy than a fish market. What reason was offered for why they can't send the exact amount and why did they ask your wife to send the extra someplace else?

Mail fraud..........call the postal inspector and see exactly who she should contact.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    That is an old scam for sure.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    A variant of the Nigerian scam. Wife got a similar overture for the horse we're selling. Ignore it or report it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    I'd even consider having some fun with that one....

But then I'm the one who sends the "no postage required, will be paid by addressee" envelopes the credit card companies and other junk mailers send me back to them. Empty. Make them pay for the postage on thier own envelope. Twice...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    My wife raises cats, gets an e-mail's from someone that wants to buy a cat, she sent a check for &1800.00 and wants her to cash the check, keep the money for the cat and send the balance to someone in another state by Postal Money order. If she cashes the check and sends the balance and the check doesn't clear than she's out $1800. Jen has kept all the e-mails and texts, I'm thinking this should go to the Feds, what's your thoughts about this ?

JAY

I would cash the check, save the money in a safe place until she's sure the check clears. Then do as asked. Also she might want to give her banking people a heads up on what she's doing. They may forgive any penalty if she pays them back their money immediately.
    On second thought yeah, involve the Fed and ask them what they recommend. I'm sure for every scamming slimeball there's at least two unsuspecting numbnut out there that's really innocent. Anyway, do whatever you feel led to do. Just don't leave yourself open to harm.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    That is just it...............overdraft/insufficient funds charge at her bank, plus losing her money if she were to send a MO...............bad deal.

Report it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    cpj wrote: »
    What's your address? I have a check I'd like to send you.

KMA Cpj and don't pass go! That's my address!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, no room for argument, it's a SCAM.
    snake284 wrote: »

Ah, the love fest :love::love: never ends on here.......................:tooth:
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »

But then I'm the one who sends the "no postage required, will be paid by addressee" envelopes the credit card companies and other junk mailers send me back to them. Empty. Make them pay for the postage on thier own envelope. Twice...

First...........you glue said junk mail to a brick.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    The Greet America scam. They send you cashier's checks, which you're supposed to deposit and send them money back. The checks are no good and leave you holding a $2000 bag. This scam originates in the Philippines, I believe. It's a "Secret Shopper" scam. I bring this up because I've been getting emails from them.

If something sounds shady, nowadays it's almost certainly is.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    Exact same thing happened with some stuff my wife was attempting to sell on Craigslist....same amount involved. They were offering $1800.00 for a $300.00 item. Said they would send an unknown party by to pick up the item. Check for $1800.00 arrived UPS....Check was from from a hotel chain in Nebraska...Kelli called the party listed on the check and it turned out the checks were stolen by a former employee.
    At the hotels request, K. sent the check and copies of the e-mails back to them, which were turned over to local LE..

The following week, someone attempted the exact same thing again. Lesson learned...avoid Craigslist like the plague....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    QOD :rotflmao:
    On second thought yeah, involve the Fed and ask them what they recommend. I'm sure for every scamming slimeball there's at least two unsuspecting numbnut out there that's really innocent. Anyway, do whatever you feel led to do. Just don't leave yourself open to harm.

This is such a common scam, that's been out there so long, the Feds don't care. By sending the check UPS, they don't involve USPS...so they are avoiding mail fraud charges (so the scammer thinks). Bottom line...when someone offers you 10 times the value of what you're selling....the light on your BS detector should start blinking rapidly....
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Cash that check and tell her to come pick up her $1800 cat.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,392 Senior Member
    Very common scam - had it happen to me (didn't fall for it). Talked to our local FBI field office, they told me it was so common that reporting it did nothing.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    What's your address? I have a check I'd like to send you.

44 mag st. Swampland, Florida

JAY
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened with some stuff my wife was attempting to sell on Craigslist....same amount involved. They were offering $1800.00 for a $300.00 item. Said they would send an unknown party by to pick up the item. Check for $1800.00 arrived UPS....Check was from from a hotel chain in Nebraska...Kelli called the party listed on the check and it turned out the checks were stolen by a former employee.
    At the hotels request, K. sent the check and copies of the e-mails back to them, which were turned over to local LE..

The following week, someone attempted the exact same thing again. Lesson learned...avoid Craigslist like the plague....

Same thing, check was from Lowes in Calif., caller and e-mails from MO., send check to S.C.

JAY
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,004 Senior Member
    Scams that involve the U.S. mail should go to the U.S. postal inspectors. Let them hash out the details.

My brother does a lot of selling on Craigslist. When he gets one of these and sees the scam coming, he has them Mail the check to the chief of police for his town. And then stops responding to their emails.

On a side note- people pay for cats? For what, food?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Quote by CHIRO1989

That's what I'm talkin about!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, no room for argument, it's a SCAM.

Absolutely true. Report this to the Feds and maybe at least someone else won't get scammed.
    Quote by CHIRO1989

That's what I'm talkin about!

I don't know how your bank works...but cashing a hot check is kind of expensive at mine....
    samzhere wrote: »
    Absolutely true. Report this to the Feds and maybe at least someone else won't get scammed.

As pointed out previously, this is such a common scam "the Feds" don't care any more (I guess they figure folks should be smart enough not to fall for it)...better to send the check back to the people it was stolen from...local LE will be more interested....
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »

Send them back all of the other junk mail you get in their envelope. Let them get really confused.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
    Several days ago Jen sent an e-mail to the person asking for her address so she could send the check back to her, and told her that she was going to report this to the Feds, so far Jen hasn't heard back. For now the check and e-mails are locked in the safe.
    When I reported that the check was from Lowes, I was wrong it came from Safe Federal Credit Union in Sumter S.C.

JAY
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    I don't know how your bank works...but cashing a hot check is kind of expensive at mine....

My way is more fun, for a few days:fan:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    As pointed out previously, this is such a common scam "the Feds" don't care any more (I guess they figure folks should be smart enough not to fall for it)...better to send the check back to the people it was stolen from...local LE will be more interested....

Another problem is most of these scams originate outside the US and the feds don't have any jurisdiction in the Philippines or Nigeria. As for Mail Fraud, even with domestic sources, there are so many of them and for relatively little money the USPS won't investigate. They've got bigger fish to fry.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    rallykid wrote: »
    Send them back all of the other junk mail you get in their envelope. Let them get really confused.

Haha! I'll do that next time. I just get a kick out of sending them an empty envelope....