Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Report - '06 Encore Pistol

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 25,760 Senior Member
Hit the range this afternoon with the 15" MGM barreled Encore pistol in .30-06 to get it on paper and get some fired cases for measuring bullet seat depth.

30-06%20Encore%20Range%203_zps2zkf6u6r.jpg

It was a rather windy day and already stupid warm. But, I needed the cases.

First off.......it rides the pistol rest like it was made for it. The weight of the gun deadens vibration well.

All I had to shoot today was factory ammo in the flavor of Remington 180gr PSP-CL

DSCN2264_zpskjz0qnyz.jpg

But it did pretty well for factory ammo. Firing only 10 rounds to get on paper, a quick group, and a rough zero, the barrel heated up pretty quick. I was actually surprised, but then........it is warm again.

My greatest surprise was the lack of recoil and muzzle rise..........from what I was expecting.

th_DSCN2263_zpsl3sws8b3.mp4

This stupid thing is a kitten!!!!!

Well, with the fired cases, I was able to go back home........pull one of the 173gr bullets.........place it in a fired case.........and measure the needed BTO.

I now have to seat the Match Ammo from it's factory length of 2.740" BTO down to 2.640" BTO in order to fit in the Encore chamber.

30-06%20Encore%20Range%202_zpsl7c6mw0a.jpg

Hope to hit the range again tomorrow and see if the rounds will shoot well after seating them deeper. By the way, that stupid military Match Ammo has that asphalt CRAP in it to seal the bullet. It has hardened considerably since being made in 1967 and makes a loud "POP" when the seal is broken as seating deeper. We'll see how it goes. Could be a lesson in futility.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    Wow! That thing is a kitten. I thought recoil would be much worse. Accuracy is very promising as well.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    wheres-the-kaboom-theres-supposed-to-be-an-earth-shattering-kaboom-marvin-the-martian-12-21-12.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Nice!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    Excellent! The recoil (or lack of it) surprises me........I was expecting more.
    Look forward to seeing the results on a hog.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Maybe it was a squib?

:runsandhides:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,691 Senior Member
    Now I am convinced that I NEED one.
    When the short redheaded scottish wife with a temper asks why, I will refer her to your video.
    Looks like you created yourself a keeper. Once again Thanks for Sharing.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Wow! That looks like a whole bunch of fun. I thought it would be fairly abusive, recoil wise.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Hmmm??? Very surprised at lack of recoil. Maybe the short barrel? Thanks for sharing and now putting ideas in my head about another barrel. :yousuck:

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Just go ahead and get one of these, save yer pennies. You know you want one :tooth:

[IMG][/img]tank_zpsuk5krgim.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Yet another wonder gun brought to us by "cannon master." Cool, very cool. Of course the bullet weight is half of the other rounds you normally shoot at, I'm guessing, roughly the same velocity.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    All of the forward weight makes it quite managable. Like the 10" over and underlugged barrel on my Dan Wesson. Even with full 445 level loads is rather managible. My 06 definitely prefers heavier bullets. A little workup to find what your barrel likes and those groups will tighten right up.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,760 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Wow! That thing is a kitten. I thought recoil would be much worse. Accuracy is very promising as well.

I was pleasantly surprised. I had a death grip on the first round I fired. Thinking it would move vigorously. After that, I lightened my grip some as it didn't require what some of my revolvers need as far as grip.

I'm still not free recoiling it as shots get errant. Just a comfortable control of the gun.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Excellent! The recoil (or lack of it) surprises me........I was expecting more.
    Look forward to seeing the results on a hog.

It's definitely not an offhand stalking gun. More of a static position firearm. Or at least, fired from a stable rest gun.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Now I am convinced that I NEED one.
    When the short redheaded scottish wife with a temper asks why, I will refer her to your video.
    Looks like you created yourself a keeper. Once again Thanks for Sharing.

You do NEED one. I don't think you can survive without it. It's a dire necessity. Hurry!!!
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I'm guessing, roughly the same velocity.

Yeah, getting the velocity would have been great. Except that new chronograph of mine with the sky screens and all........didn't like bright direct sunlight and just flashed continuously.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Yeah, getting the velocity would have been great. Except that new chronograph of mine with the sky screens and all........didn't like bright direct sunlight and just flashed continuously.

What happened to the Magnetospeed? I have been seriously considering one of those.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    HvyMax wrote: »
    What happened to the Magnetospeed? I have been seriously considering one of those.

I still have it and use it for rifles. Works great. I just don't use that one for my heavy recoiling revolvers. I'd have to take off the forend to attach it to this particular gun. Which, I can if I get serious.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Looks like a keeper, and a little work on the load should tighten that group up. Not really surprised at the lack of wrist breaking recoil though. Lot of weight in that barrel to hold it down. A light contour barrel would be a little more frisky, though. I think you're going to like that one a LOT! :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Very nice.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Don't let ATF hear about that one- - - - -they'll ban your ammo!
    :nono:
    Jerry
    Back to the range today to try out the set back Lake City loads.

The factory Base to Ogive length was 2.740" and I set them back to 2.640" in order to fit in my chamber. Being as this ammo was manufactured in 1967, I assume it was made for the Garand chamber. No? Either way, it had that asphalt sealant around the bullet that "popped" when pushed back.

At the range, I wasn't expecting much from a 48 year old FMJ load that had been set back.

DSCN2267_zpsxvd1cuim.jpg

DSCN2269_zpsto7e0fxi.jpg

My bad. Guess it ain't to bad after all. That'll work for general plinking ammo, no sweat!

The factory seat depth is on the right. The set back load on the left.

Now, to shoot enough to reload the brass. Think I'll start with the 165gr Nosler BT bullets as I have about 150 of them I found in my cave the other day. I've had them since the early 90s and don't plan to buy more. So, I'll use them in this gun. Will probably try the 125gr Hornady SST I'm running in both my .30-30 AI Contender and .308 Short Rifle. Seems to kill things well.

Anyway........I am pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the old military surplus ammo. I didn't expect that. May even play around with the seating depth a little more.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    Very nice!!! Recoil on that thing surprising. Looks like it'll be a fun one to shoot. Glad you're getting the ammo issue sorted out. Pretty darn good for what it is.