Home Main Category General Firearms

Did some horse trading (new toy)

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,882 Senior Member
A few days ago I was idly perusing Armslist (big mistake, I know) when I saw an ad. Not just any ad, but THE ad.

No price was listed, the fellow was interested in trades. Hmm, interesting. Then he listed that he was interested in AK's. Even more interesting, as I happened to have an AK-74 that did nothing my AR can't do and I was looking to ditch.

A few emails, some haggling, and a meetup later and I'm now AK-less, but I have gained the following:

FullSizeRender2_zpsnqotgwgm.jpg

FullSizeRender3_zpsbq3ro1bf.jpg

A Remington 700 .308 worked on by a local 'smith.
20" Remington LTR barrel, topped off with the ugliest brake I have ever seen
Action job and trigger job, approx. 1.75# and very crisp
The World's Ugliest Bolt Knob
SWFA 16x42 scope with sunshade in Leupold steel rings
Hogue pillar bedded stock
Harris bipod
Tan Cerakote finish

The guy also threw in some free bits of a burlap sack. How kind of him!

I'm not entirely sure what I'll end up doing with it yet, all I know for sure is the Hogue stock has to go. I'm seriously considering being the forum guinea pig for the Magpul Hunter 700.

Did I mention that the brake was ugly?
MRD_4219_zpswj9dmigj.jpg

It likes to hang out in trees.
MRD_4225_zpsbelc7trj.jpg

One more beauty shot
MRD_4215_zps6anshh8p.jpg

Range Report to follow in another thread.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    I don't think the brake is that ugly, personally.

Hope it's a shooter for you :up:

:yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    The way the 'smith' stepped the barrel down to the brake makes it even mo' ugly........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,882 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    The way the 'smith' stepped the barrel down to the brake makes it even mo' ugly........

That's actually part of the brake. Beats me, but it works. I could watch my own impact with a 16x scope at 600 yards.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    A few days ago I was idly perusing Armslist (big mistake, I know) when I saw an ad. Not just any ad, but THE ad.

No price was listed, the fellow was interested in trades. Hmm, interesting. Then he listed that he was interested in AK's. Even more interesting, as I happened to have an AK-74 that did nothing my AR can't do and I was looking to ditch.

A few emails, some haggling, and a meetup later and I'm now AK-less, but I have gained the following:

FullSizeRender2_zpsnqotgwgm.jpg

FullSizeRender3_zpsbq3ro1bf.jpg

A Remington 700 .308 worked on by a local 'smith.
    20" Remington LTR barrel, topped off with the ugliest brake I have ever seen
    Action job and trigger job, approx. 1.75# and very crisp
    The World's Ugliest Bolt Knob
    SWFA 16x42 scope with sunshade in Leupold steel rings
    Hogue pillar bedded stock
    Harris bipod
    Tan Cerakote finish

The guy also threw in some free bits of a burlap sack. How kind of him!

I'm not entirely sure what I'll end up doing with it yet, all I know for sure is the Hogue stock has to go. I'm seriously considering being the forum guinea pig for the Magpul Hunter 700.

Did I mention that the brake was ugly?
    MRD_4219_zpswj9dmigj.jpg

It likes to hang out in trees.
    MRD_4225_zpsbelc7trj.jpg

One more beauty shot
    MRD_4215_zps6anshh8p.jpg

Range Report to follow in another thread.

If it's me I wouldn't touch it until I shot it with some good hand loads. Did the guy have a pet load for it? I mean if that thing shoots tiny groups you probably don't want to touch that stock or anything. Just shoot it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,691 Senior Member
    Sometimes different/odd/ugly is good. Hope it shoots for you.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    You are the only one around with a gun that can climb up into a tree stand by itself.

If it can shoot by itself you can send it out hunting and come back at night and get it with a deer or something.

Lot better than that KIWI flower child, he has to do all the work.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Was the burlap Metric or Whitworth? It won't be ballistic until you have it on when you touch off round #1. Hope it shoots good and the deer will never see the muzzle break anyway. :drool2: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    I like the tree in the pics...........and the way the leaves blend in with the grass at the base of the tree............The Lesters tin advertisement is cool.........and the polished floor looks great.........Nice bipod by the way.........Is that a shed I can see in the background?...............Free burlap is good.

Just kidding........:roll2:

Interested to see how she shoots.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    Someone spent a lot of time window dressing from TACTICOOL-R-US.

But hey, glad you ended up with it. Maybe you can make it a legitimate shooter and not some clowns showcase.

Well done.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Cool looking rifle. The brake seems a little much for a 308 though. Maybe going for the 50BMG/338 LM look.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    The brake looks like a JP brake design and does work well on reducing recoil ... and people beside you. As to let an AK-74 go the cheap ammo for them is gone and to me a good bolt gun is worth more anyway.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I like the rifle, and yes, the brake is kind of ugly. But that is one really efficient designed brake. Good trade!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    As to let an AK-74 go the cheap ammo for them is gone and to me a good bolt gun is worth more anyway.

I agree. 5.45 and .223 are the same price these days, and oddly enough it's easier to get a quality AR. It seems like you have to drop $800+ to get an AK that actually works these days.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,436 Senior Member
    That's actually part of the brake. Beats me, but it works. I could watch my own impact with a 16x scope at 600 yards.

If you are doing this, I would leave the brake alone, unless you find something cosmetically more appealing that does the same thing, if it is shooting, don't mess with it too much.

OK, I read your range report, I would leave it alone.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,467 Senior Member
    it would be interesting to know your impressions shooting with and without the break.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You made a very wise trade. I kind of like the that setup.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    If you are doing this, I would leave the brake alone, unless you find something cosmetically more appealing that does the same thing, if it is shooting, don't mess with it too much.

OK, I read your range report, I would leave it alone.

Those JP "howitzer" brakes are a bit on the ugly side of things, but they are damn effective.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,402 Senior Member
    60 seconds removing the burlap would be time well spent.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    Is it a JP, or a knockoff?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Good trade! I couldn't abide that brake, no matter how well it works. I like the bolt handle.
    I'd be curious to know how that magpul stock does....I've had a run in with the Hogue stock too, blah.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Is it a JP, or a knockoff?

It's a JP. I can barely read the JP label under the Cerakote.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,330 Senior Member
    I had one of those on my .300 WM. It knocked the recoil down to about .243 levels. I had to send the rifle to JP for installation, where they soldered it on. Very effective to brake the recoil, very ugly and VERY loud.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.