Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Report (Remington 700 and Frankengun AR-15)

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,882 Senior Member
I have been uniquely blessed this weekend: I both had the time off and a short enough to-do list to hit a range about 2 hours away from me that I have been meaning to go to for a long time, but haven't had the chance yet. This particular range features shooting out to 1000 yds, so I was very excited to check it out.

So last night I went about packing up my range bag full of goodies, an ammo can full of .223 and .308, my newly acquired Remington 700, and my trusty Frankengun AR-15 (Daniel Defense/DPMS/Rock River Arms) with a newly mounted Trijicon ACOG TA-31.

FullSizeRender1_zps62lyjxrj.jpg

I was up by 0500 and on the road at 0630 to make the range by opening time at 0900. It was most certainly WELL WORTH the trip. I don't have enough good things to say about the quality of the facilities, the professionalism of the Range Officers, the atmosphere, etc. The range was well maintained, the RO's enforced the rules but treated everyone like adults. They even provided plenty of empty chamber flags since they require that one be in when the line is cold. It was worth every bit of the 2 hour drive and the entry fee. I can't make the trip often enough to justify a membership, but I will be back.

MRD_4201_zpsbdjae2zs.jpg

MRD_4206_zpsr1uycbew.jpg

I started off at 100 to finalize the zero of both the AR and the 700, beginning with the AR. I got it zeroed and then shot for groups. Using no-name SS109 equivalent ammo and a 3.5x optic, I am very pleased with the results. I'm sure an upper as high quality as the Daniel Defense could do much better, but this ammo meets my needs (plinking) quite well for now.

The Trijicon optic is FANTASTIC. Crystal clear. As Farris Bueller says, if you have the means...

MRD_4205_zpst8f0styo.jpg

IMG_48501_zpsr6ulkvgu.jpg

I then switched to the 700. As luck would have it, it was hitting to POA for me at 100, so once I confirmed I again shot for groups. One of my themes today was "cheapest ammo possible," as I was using steel cased Wolf .308. Did I mention that I removed the cheesy sling and cheek rest thingy?

MRD_4213_zpsfx6zdwqg.jpg

IMG_4853_zpsw8l8sgs9.jpg

IMG_48471_zpsg0plazpd.jpg

IMG_48481_zpspjqqmx0i.jpg

At this point I decided to make things interesting. At the 600 yd line the club has what appears to be a 12" gong set up, so with a few shots at the berm I got a rough idea of my hold over and started blasting away at the gong and some remnants of clay pigeons. I was probably shooting about 3 MOA at that distance, but DAMN was it fun! I also noticed some clay pigeons left over on the 400 yd line and had a crack with those as well. To finish off the day I pulled the AR back out and tested out the Ballistic Drop Compensation built into the reticle. I was consistently at least scaring the 400 yd clays, but could not see the splash at 600 yd through the 3.5x optic to call my shots that far.

All in all I spent about 5 hours at the range, and it was time VERY well spent and long overdue for me. I'm immensely pleased with the performance of both guns and their respective optics. I'm now looking forward to ordering up some higher quality ammunition for both and seeing how they do before I need to turn my focus to practice and load development for an antelope hunt this coming fall.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    That thing is a shooter then
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I see five shots at 100 yards in a group just a hair bigger than 1/2 inch, well maybe 3/4 inch. But this is factory ammo. You work up your own load for it, and I can very well see you shooting 1/4 inch. That is an accurate rifle. I wouldn't touch the stock or anything on it. It's a shooter.

Edited to Add: Well er ah.... You might think about removing the burlap...:hand:..........:silly:..........:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,691 Senior Member
    Looks like a nice shooter. Time to feed it some premium ammo and see how it does.
    To me you came out way ahead in the deal.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    snake284 wrote: »
    I see five shots at 100 yards in a group just a hair bigger than 1/2 inch, well maybe 3/4 inch. But this is factory ammo. You work up your own load for it, and I can very well see you shooting 1/4 inch. That is an accurate rifle. I wouldn't touch the stock or anything on it. It's a shooter.

BTW, that brake looks like one on a T-34 Tank.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,760 Senior Member
    Glad you made that bolt gun legit.

Good job.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    So how was the recoil on that 308? Did it actually try to pull away when fired?
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    Nice shootin' Matt.
    Why not bring it next time you come up to go hunting :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Looks like you got a shooter there. You do know that the burlap can come off:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Looks like you got a shooter there. You do know that the burlap can come off:tooth:

Naw man... keeps the skeeters off :tooth:

Looks like a good range trip. I concur that (SS109) 62 grain stuff is not for target shootin, I had similar results as did everyone else............plinking bullets unless we want to piss off a somebody by ventilating their thin steel plates someplace.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    Just goes to show you that the less than beautiful ones sometimes perform better than the beautiful ones........same as rifles......

If it was mine, I wouldn't change a thing. Rocking up to the range with that and then shooting tiny little groups would tickle me pink............and could lead to an increase in gun funds if wagers became apparent.....

The only thing I would change is the burlap. In humid weather it will hold moisture and that may not be ideal for the scope.

Great shooting btw.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    That muzzle break on that 700 looks like it came off an antique Tank.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    orchidman wrote: »
    Just goes to show you that the less than beautiful ones sometimes perform better than the beautiful ones........same as rifles......

If it was mine, I wouldn't change a thing. Rocking up to the range with that and then shooting tiny little groups would tickle me pink............and could lead to an increase in gun funds if wagers became apparent.....

The only thing I would change is the burlap. In humid weather it will hold moisture and that may not be ideal for the scope.

Great shooting btw.

But then again you like pink.... Oh scuse me, I was thinking about buffy. Those pink chickens had to be his........:tooth:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Think you used enough brake there, Butch? :jester:

Very nice!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,882 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    So how was the recoil on that 308? Did it actually try to pull away when fired?

I could spot my own shots at 600 with the 16x scope, the target never left the scope's field of view during recoil.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    When you get going reloading yer own .308s, you are gonna have a tack driver 700 there. For Wolf steel case ammo, that tells me three things, you are a good shot, that rifle is very capable of fine accuracy and Wolf ammo is better than a lot of folks think.

That is Performance labeled, I wonder if Wolf Gold would even be better besides having brass cases, not steel. I read where that Wolf Gold is actually made by privi partizan/PPU for them, I dunno?
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    Great range, and nice shooting!

Pretty sure the only thing is change on the 700 would be to lose the burlap.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Great range, and nice shooting!

Pretty sure the only thing is change on the 700 would be to lose the burlap.

Is that Tacticool Burlap? What kind of an "Operator" did you trade with? :tooth:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I read where that Wolf Gold is actually made by privi partizan/PPU for them, I dunno?
    It is. Wolf doesn't actually manufacture ANY ammo AFAIK, they contract it out and have it put in their boxes.

All of their brass cased CF ammo I've seen (rifle & handgun) has had PPU head stamps, their rimfire is SK-Jagd (German) and the "wolf" shotgun ammo I've purchased was made in Spain
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Big Chief wrote: »
    When you get going reloading yer own .308s, you are gonna have a tack driver 700 there. For Wolf steel case ammo, that tells me three things, you are a good shot, that rifle is very capable of fine accuracy and Wolf ammo is better than a lot of folks think.

That is Performance labeled, I wonder if Wolf Gold would even be better besides having brass cases, not steel. I read where that Wolf Gold is actually made by privi partizan/PPU for them, I dunno?

I don't know either but it is Boxer Primed and the brass seems very good for reloading. And most importantly, because you can't kill without hitting your target, it seems very reasonably accurate. My 8x57 Mauser will shoot it to 1.5 inches a 100 yards for three shots. Not bad for a 70 year old Milsurp barrel with factory ammo.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I could spot my own shots at 600 with the 16x scope, the target never left the scope's field of view during recoil.

That was probably because of the tactical burlap.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct