Home Main Category Clubhouse

Well, I guess it's my turn to report a serious health issue.

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,635 Senior Member
I've been having prostate issues recently. About a year ago I started having to pee more often than usual at night, sometimes between 3 and 5 times nightly. A month ago I had some blood tests and when I got the results they showed I had a high PSA reading and it was about double what the reading had been previously. I told the doctor about my nightly peeing routine and he suggested I see a Urologist. 3 weeks ago I went for an appointment and we discussed some general information about the prostate and he said I should have an ultrasound test and biopsy of my prostate. The biopsy involves them putting a probe up my butt with the ultrasound device and the biopsy hole puncher too. This is done under anesthesia, so it's completely painless. The biopsy device puts puncture holes through the intestinal wall into the prostate. I'm not sure how many holes they make, but it's more than one. This of course made me have blood in my stool and urine. The bloody urine lasted about a week and the bloody stool was only once. To prevent an infection, they prescribe an an antibiotic. The ultrasound revealed a firm mass in my prostate, but the doctor said it didn't necessarily mean anything. I had to wait until the 30th to get the results of the biopsy at the Urologist's office.

I went to the doctor today and the biopsy confirmed I have prostate cancer. It's in the early stages yet, so I probably will make a complete recovery, but I will need to have my prostate removed. For various reasons I'm not real anxious to do that, but if that's what they have to do then I'm ready for it.

I'm hoping that there will not be a real urgency in having this surgery immediately, so as to mess up my plans for the SE Shoot and my trip to Maggie Valley, NC in late July. I'm going to try and schedule it for right after I return from the shoot the first week of June, or until after Maggie Valley in early August.

I know some people on this forum don't like to go to doctors. If you never take any of my other suggestions, please take this one: if you are over 55 and you don't regularly get check-ups, including blood work with a PSA test, please start doing it.....it could save your life. If not for my high PSA reading at my regular check-up, I might have ignored the excessive peeing until it was too late.
JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    :angel2: I hope you knock it out fast, if it messes up shoot there's always next year. Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,635 Senior Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    :angel2: I hope you knock it out fast, if it messes up shoot there's always next year. Ken

I will go with the surgeons judgement, but there's no harm in asking if it can be delayed. I have an appointment with the surgeon on the 13th and having some kind of scan on thursday, which I think is to make sure there's no cancer anywhere else.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Thanks for the update buddy. I hope you can make the shoot this year, but regardless I will put you on the prayer list.
    Hang in there and get well soon.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    It's a treatable disease and especially if caught early. Best wishes and prayers sent for you.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    Prayers out for a fast and complete recovery
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Prayers sent!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    Positive thoughts for a complete recovery heading your way.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Noel, like you my PSA jumped from 3.7 in Aug. last year to 4.9 a week ago, I'll see my prostate MD. in 3 weeks.

My brother was diagnosed with Prostate cancer 3 1/2 years ago, they didn't remove his Prostate but implanted radioactive "seeds" , He has been in remission (0 PSA) for over 3 years, he is in good health, while he was in treatment he said it was rough but nothing he couldn't handle.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,410 Senior Member
    Just Prayed:angel2: for an uncomplicated suregery and a complete recovery.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,631 Senior Member

Good luck; there are several of us that went through that cancer issue on the forum.

I didn't know they used anesthesia for the biopsy, that might be nice.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    Good luck man! Hope you get it whipped!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thanks for your candor, MakeMy. You're gonna beat this!

It's persuaded me to add more to my new random medical thread as well.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,390 Senior Member
    My father died of Prostate cancer.

He had his removed, and was OK for 19 years. Year 20 came and it came back and killed him - and you DO NOT want to go that way. The problem was they didn't do post-op radiation in those days, if they had he may not have had a recurrence.

Everybody's different, and everybody's priories are different - BUT - if it was me, I'd tell them to get that thing OUT of my body NOW, and follow it up with radiation.

The American Prostate Society recommends this stuff:

http://www.lifespanhealthproducts.com/onemaltabday.html

Join the monthly "club" and get it for about $18.

Oh, while we're on the subject, my opinion of "testosterone therapy" is "don't". Testosterone feeds prostate cancer.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,308 Senior Member
    Prayers sent for a speedy resolution!
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    If you're gonna get the "C", that's the one to have. Best wishes.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,846 Senior Member
    Considering delaying... depends, the two most common forms I'm familiar with, one is an extremely slow progressor and the other is quite agressive. My maternal grandfather had the slow type, they treated it by implanting radioactive "beads" and he had no issues for the 15-20 years he lived until a stroke killed him.

My dad, on the other hand, had the "fast" form and they said they found it early, and if they hadn't, that it commonly spread to the bones and was usually fatal once it spread (metastasized)
    He had his removed ~10 years ago and after the recovery hasn't, slowed down a bit that I can tell.

Good luck with it, and follow the Doc's advice, you can beat this.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Best of luck and we will add you to our prayers list.

Before having a procedure like this done, do not be afraid to seek out the best in the field and get a second opinion. Trust me when I say there are a lot opinions as as to what is the best course of treatment, especially with prostate cancer. Try to do some of your own research, pick a physician that you feel comfortable with, and go with their plan.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Prayers from us too. Dad went thru that about ten years ago; they caught it early and he's fine now.

There are so many effective ways of treating it now, compared to 20 years ago. It really is amazing.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    You will do fine. I know a couple of guys who have had this, and neither has regretted it. Both went right back to having a nice life. :up:
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Best of luck :angel:

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I went through Prostate cancer treatment back in 07. Like you, about the only symptoms I had was frequent urination. I went to a Urologist my PSA was 5.6 and then he did a biopsy which was positive.

They gave me several options. I got a second opinion. After looking at it from all angles, the pros and cons of each way to treat it, I went with the radiation. Even though it is usually a slow growing cancer, my PSA went over 7 a couple months after being diagnosed. Doc sad it was getting moderately more aggressive.

Radiation doc said he wanted to give it a one-two punch and hit it hard like a 30-06 (he is a hunter). So I had 28 days of External Beam Radiation treatments which is where you are precisely zapped with a laser guided apparatus as you lay on a table with a machine going around you. Not that bad and each visit only lasted about an hour total, sometimes I felt a little burning in my pelvic region.

Next they did what they call Brachytherapy....and implanted 115 radioactive seeds about the size of a grain of rice in my Prostrate.

http://www.brachytherapy.com/

Some uncomfortable days and I'd be lying if I said it was all painless, but I drove myself to and from the 28X treatments throughout it all. The seed implants was the only time I didn't because of the anesthesia.

Please do some research before surgery, there are pros and cons of each type treatment and everyone is different. Depending on exactly where your cancer is and how far it has spread can help you decide which option to use.

My PSA has been way under 1 and usually 0.1 or .01 the last few years about as low as the test will go. Urologist said he considers me cancer free, but I have a + - around 25% change of it coming back in my lifetime, but keeping up with my yearly PSA tests and exams and reporting any change- immediately is the best route to take.

In my case I was better off with radiation treatments and no surgery. I used to think it was 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other with either type treatment. Depends on your cancer. However, there are some things they can and can't do after each treatment.

Do your research and get a second opinion. Some push surgery and some radiation treatments...........look at who is telling you, a Urologist who is also surgeon or his medical group does a lot of surgery, a place that specializes in Robotic or Micro Surgery or various forms of radiation treatments??????

I wish you the best outcome whichever route you decide on :angel2::angel2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    May not be any big urgency, but I'd get going on my plan of action sooner than later if I were you. Things change, sometimes faster or not anticipated.

IM sent.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,635 Senior Member
    Thank you all for the positive comments, prayers and advice, and my condolences to the couple of people who have lost loved ones from this disease. I promise I'm not going to do anything stupid by delaying my surgery because of trips that I want to take. I will ask the surgeon what he thinks, and will follow his advice. Nothing is more important to me than to stay around for as long as I can.

As far as choice of doctors, I am limited by the insurance plan that I have. My primary is Medicare and secondary is United Healthcare, so I have to stay within the participating provider network of United. I do have a very good personal Urologist who is Board Certified and the surgeon my doctor recommended to me practices in downtown Orlando and is Board Certified in Urologic surgery. Both with designations that are good to have. I feel that I am under very good care. The surgery will be provided using robotic machines.

Zorba had mentioned Testosterone. I have been using the gel for about 6 years. My PSA reading was perfectly normal until the most recent blood tests 6 weeks ago, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I did make me feel great though, physically and mentally. I will be disappointed if I have to discontinue it's use after the surgery. Right now my Urologist says I can't use it, and they will evaluate whether it would be allowed after the surgery.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Dad's doctors treated his with a procedure called cryoablation. They basically implanted seeds that froze the prostate and cancer cells to death, then followed with local radiation zapping to get anything that might have survived. Worked great.

Based on his history, I get a PSA every year, along with the occasional "Moon River" digital test. So far, so good.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,390 Senior Member
    My father had the slow type - and then it turned into the fast type 20 years later after many years of a 0 PSA. Metzed to his bones, the whole Greek tragedy. I watched him die of it, and I do not want to go that way. If I ever develop it, I personally will go for the most aggressive treatment possible - to 'ell with my sex life! I view testosterone as the the Hormone of Death (tm) - and its also my understanding that a vasectomy can increase your risk (My father had had one of the early ones) - thank Goddess I didn't have one!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    Just got back to town and sorry to hear the bad news, but I'm glad you found the problem early and I'm sure the results will ne positive!! Your health is #1, if you miss the shoot, there's always next year!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,285 Senior Member
    Glad that it was caught early enough to get a good treatment plan started. If the Doc says it needs to be done now, or can wait, just do what he thinks is best. Like Big Al1 said, there's always next year, and Maggie Valley is pretty sweet later in the summer, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Prayers sent.
    Overkill is underrated.