Home Main Category General Firearms

The 270 is ready to go on a bull hunt.......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,238 Senior Member
...............Easter weekend.

Had a bit of work done to it by my 'Smith' last week and took it up to the range on sunday. Managed to put a few rounds through her after shooting the deer with the 204 and I must say I am impressed.

I have fitted her up with a 6-24x50 Illuminated reticule scope and it allowed me to shoot groups in the .25" range with Remington Factory 130gr corelokts.

Here is a pic of her with the scope.................

custom2027020suppressed20002_zpsnn8htvnu.jpg

In addition to fitting the scope I also had the opportunity to have a suppressor fitted for no cost...........The Gunsmith I use has been experimenting with a new type of suppressor which is cutting edge technology.............The suppressor is made from an exotic combination of Kevlar and composite materials and weighs less than 4 oz's for a full 'over the barrel' combined suppressor and muzzle brake!.

He described the technology he uses and it involves wrapping the Kevlar core with a wrap of composite materials then baking the unit at a steady temp till it hardens. He offered to do all the work and supply the unit at no cost...........

Now I know what some of you are going to say...............but I figured 'What the heck' and gave him the go ahead.

Here is a pic of the suppressor fitted......( Had to take the pic with my cell phone as my camera went flat so excuse the quality please)........

custom2027020suppressed20003_zpsxsxlnsts.jpg

He didn't have time to put the finishing coats on the suppressor but it will be going back to him next week after the Wild bull hunt. The finish I have chosen is Blued to match the rest of the rifle. He also needs to take about 1/2" off the forend as the suppressor is touching the wood.

With the built in muzzle brake there is almost no recoil and I was able to watch the bullets strike the target at both 100 and 200m.......!

Now the bad news..........He had to take the front sight off and cut 2" off the barrel to make the rifle more balanced but it does handle well. He didn't call to tell me that he was going to cut the barrel which does piss me off a little........actually a lot, cos I told him that I wanted the rifle to remain original.

I will be negotiating compensation with him and he has agreed that it is appropriate.........its just a matter of figuring out a dollar amount.

And yes I know I have diminished the value of the rifle somewhat.............but I have a thick skin so tell me what you honestly think.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    It ain't April here, yet. So, you're safe.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Well... it's a .270, so suppressing one of those can't be that hard.... I mean, it's barely supersonic at the muzzle....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I also had the opportunity to have a suppressor fitted for no cost...........

You had me going until I read that one.

Happy April fools ...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    I quess that would work for hunting zebra, hey.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,991 Senior Member
    Alec, I'm hoping that this is an "April Fools" joke, the thought of butchering that rifle would make me roll over in my grave If I were dead.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,753 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    And yes I know I have diminished the value of the rifle somewhat.............but I have a thick skin so tell me what you honestly think.

It's a .270 - the only value is in the Pre-'64 receiver. (And that's where this fails as an April Fool's prank - Alec chopped up a .270 - who cares?)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    Damnit............sprung again..

I give up......
    Meh, he coulda chopped the barrel all he wanted. But, taking 1/2" off that stock would have been a killing offense.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Well, it sure was a "bull" hunt.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Ha! Glad for your sake it's April fools day down there. I would have hopped on the plane with Wambli and help give you a good ole American ass kickin'!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    It's a .270 - the only value is in the Pre-'64 receiver. (And that's where this fails as an April Fool's prank - Alec chopped up a .270 - who cares?)[/QUOTE

I care!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Bigslug wrote: »
    It's a .270 - the only value is in the Pre-'64 receiver. (And that's where this fails as an April Fool's prank - Alec chopped up a .270 - who cares?)[/QUOTE

I care!

Who cares that you care??

:couldntresist:
    Zee wrote: »

Who cares that you care??

:couldntresist:

Oh will you shut up already! You're an agitating biased one way, GGGGGRRRRR Go to your room!!!

Oh BTW, I care that I care, so there!!! Put that in your sweet Bippy and smoke it!

...:angry:.....:whip2:.....:tissue:.....:tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Suppressing a .270 should be commonplace. Who the hell wants to draw attention to a .270...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    "Somebody's talking about a 270 on this forum? Not to be trusted."
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    toymachine wrote: »
    "Somebody's talking about a 270 on this forum? Not to be trusted."

Hey toy, don't act so surprised. There's a lot of them in the closet still.:nono::silly::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Suppressing a .270 should be commonplace. Who the hell wants to draw attention to a .270.?.

ME!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    Even Zorba doesn't have a .270! :tooth: He's weird, but not THAT weird! :jester:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    Even Zorba doesn't have a .270! :tooth: He's weird, but not THAT weird! :jester:

Go to your room Zorba!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    ME!

I got rid of my pigmy .270 (6.8SPC) because it was embarrassing to be asked why my bullets were bouncing off the target backers...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I got rid of my pigmy .270 (6.8SPC) because it was embarrassing to be asked why my bullets were bouncing off the target backers...

What I've found effective in increasing the killing power of the .270 is to initiate "Plunging Fire." I calculate bullet drift and rise. I then fire the rifle almost straight up in the air where it will come down to earth a the calculated point. I find this velocity of a falling bullet will increase killing power. The only problem is that it's a hard calculation and takes a few hours to get it right. But if you can get that bullet to fall perfectly on top of the deer's head, most of the time it won't bounce off

............:cool2:..........:up:..........:rotflmao:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Alec, I'm hoping that this is an "April Fools" joke, the thought of butchering that rifle would make me roll over in my grave If I were dead.

JAY

IF it were true that picture would stay in my head even after I was dead causing me to roll over in my grave.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NN wrote: »
    I quess that would work for hunting zebra, hey.

I guess, but according to some of these forum members a BB Gun would probably be more effective on Zebra.
    I guess, but according to some of these forum members a BB Gun would probably be more effective on Zebra.

Naw, why use a BB gun when any ol' squirt pistol would do that job! :jester:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Naw, why use a BB gun when any ol' squirt pistol would do that job! :jester:

Well I would think you might need the extra punch of a BB gun in case dangerous game is encountered.
    Well I would think you might need the extra punch of a BB gun in case dangerous game is encountered.

Yea, you're right. A lion might attack while you're dressing out that zebra.

Yea, you're right. A lion might attack while you're dressing out that zebra.
    Yeah, and unless you were out after elephant, the .270 would probably be over gunning.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Man that is too pretty of a stock to house a 270 can't you switch it with one of your others ?

270 owners are always ready to shoot the bull
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Man that is too pretty of a stock to house a 270 can't you switch it with one of your others ?

270 owners are always ready to shoot the bull

The 308 is a Featherweight so I don't think that will work............The 30.06 was made in 1939 and probably would fit, but it already has nice wood and I will prob keep it stock standard. The 375 probably wont fit..............Maybe I should get the 270 rebarrelled to something more useful like a 7mm08 or 280.....maybe even a .22......
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Maybe I should get the 270 rebarrelled to something more useful like a 7mm08 or 280.....maybe even a .22.

6.5-o6 ?