Do you hunt with hearing protection?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,803 Senior Member
So, do you hunt with any hearing protection? None? ear plugs? electronic muffs? Full muffs?

Do you hunt with hearing protection? 55 votes

none - just my hat
65% 36 votes
ear plugs
18% 10 votes
electronic muffs
7% 4 votes
full muffs
3% 2 votes
other
5% 3 votes
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,762 Senior Member
    I'm sorry..........did you say something?
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,425 Senior Member
    It depends- - - -on a dove shoot where I might fire 50 rounds or more, I use foam plugs. In the deer woods, I have to be able to hear, as well as see what's going on. No plugs or other sound-attenuating devices, but I usually fire only one or two shots all day, if that many.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    I'm sorry..........did you say something?

Olesniper, you joke but that's me. I can't hear thunder. I went without protection too long. Too many shots with high powered rifles, too many years around turbines, too many years around high pressure steam equipment, two many years in a small engine room with big engines. Also, I inherited the tendency to be deaf. My mother's mother, and my mother went deaf. Infact my mother is still around at 88 and it's a shout fest between us to be heard. My advice is always wear hearing protection when around excessive noise. Even if you inherit the tendency to go deaf, don't make it worse. Protect your ears.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    It depends- - - -on a dove shoot where I might fire 50 rounds or more, I use foam plugs. In the deer woods, I have to be able to hear, as well as see what's going on. No plugs or other sound-attenuating devices, but I usually fire only one or two shots all day, if that many.
    Jerry

Ditto, except that if I'm deer hunting, odds are that I won't be shooting more than 2 rounds all season unless I start seeing hogs. :devil::guns:

ANY sort of shooting where I expect to fire more than 1 shot, or have the chance to put something on, I'll be wearing some sort of hearing protection... earplugs at the very least.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    Every shot of a high powered rifle will damage your hearing to some degree.
    I wear a set of molded hearing aids, that shut down when I shoot. It gives me the best of both worlds, hearing and protection. Before that, I would carry several pairs of the foam ones or carry muffs in my pack.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    For deer hunting I use a pair of Radians amplified hearing aid plugs. I can hear the rustle of leaves, and they cut out the sound of the rifle firing. For general shooting and hunting, I just use foam ear plugs most of the time, but will use muffs if I'm going to be shooting a lot of rounds. When shooting the .50 BMG I use both foam ear plugs and a good pair of ear muffs.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Since we can only box blind hunt where we are at I am usually listening to my ipod with ear buds; that muffles the gunshot but the music is probably ruining my hearing.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,556 Senior Member
    No. It would be like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped. I've done way too much shooting over the years without any ear protection.

The only exception is when I hunt/shoot prairie dogs. Since I'm shooting from a stationary position, and depending on what I see and not at all on what I hear, I wear muffs.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    This year I'm going to try wearing electronic muffs. I also have a pair of electronic ear plugs that I'm not real fond of, but I might fall back on them if I have trouble with the muffs. In the past, I havn't. I always wear ears when I'm just out shooting. Never when bird hunting with a shotgun. The noise just doesn't bother me much. But I'm carying a ported 454 Casull for the deer hunt this weekend and the blast off of that is brutal. Even one shot at a deer will hurt my ears bad. I've fired it before without ears because I wasn't paying attention. It hurt. I won't do it again unless I have to. I think I can stand one or two shots out of the 243 without ears while hunting. I just don't want to do it with the 454. Adrenaline or not, it still damages the ears.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    No. It would be like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped. I've done way too much shooting over the years without any ear protection.

The only exception is when I hunt/shoot prairie dogs. Since I'm shooting from a stationary position, and depending on what I see and not at all on what I hear, I wear muffs.

Jerry, I have been going deaf for over 20 years. I experienced an OSHA shift in hearing at work back in 1987, another one in the early 90s and still again in 2000. But I could still hear most conversations. But after I turned 60 is when it really went south on me. I cannot chair meetings in two organizations I belong to anymore because I can't hear anyone across a room. This sucks. Wear protection, don't take a chance. Mine's so bad hearing aides don't really help anymore.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    I keep foam ear plugs or ear muffs in the blind, and once I see the animal and decide that I'm going to shoot I put them on.

Dove hunting or similar I used to wear foam ear plugs, but I finally ponied up the $60 to buy electronic muffs, which I'll use from here on out.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I said no, but, I do if it will be a handgun shot.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    Not yet, but I'm hoping for some Walker's Game Ears for Christmas this year.
    I was going to mention Walker's Game Ear. They filter out the loud sudden noise to a safe level. and allow you to hear in between shots. You can still hear the noises of game in the woods, but when you shoot it filters out the ear damaging decibles. Some regular hearing aides do this too, but at a cost of $2,000 to $5,000 or more. I think Walker's Game Ear is available for around $100 if I'm not mistaken.
    I keep foam ear plugs or ear muffs in the blind, and once I see the animal and decide that I'm going to shoot I put them on.

Dove hunting or similar I used to wear foam ear plugs, but I finally ponied up the $60 to buy electronic muffs, which I'll use from here on out.

SS3, are those $60 muffs something like Walker's Game Ear?
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    SS3, are those $60 muffs something like Walker's Game Ear?

I guess? I've never messed with Walker's Game Ear

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Dont wear any hearing protection when hunting, always wore muffs when competing at clay targets..........

Bought a pair of electronic muffs when I went to the SE this year and use them now for sighting rifles in and messing around with guns etc

As far as hunting goes......................the constant ringing in my ears from Tinnitus blocks out the sound of the shot................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I keep plugs in my pocket. If I have time, I'll put them in. If not, well, I don't!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    Haven't hunted since around 1979 really, but only for pheasants then, so the report from an Ithaca .20 SKB was not that bad...

Only time I ever wore hearing protection was in the Army during range exercises and later at civilian ranges...

I think listening to heavy metal music back in the 80's at full blast did more to screw up my hearing than gunfire ever could...

:lol
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Not while gun hunting- not shooting more than 1-2 times usually. Have shot wounded deer with .44 mag to finish a couple and really wished I had something then to wear.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Cigarrette butts in your ears work in a pinch. Just saying.....
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    No. But I need to.
    Shotguns aren't that bad, or don't seem to be. Maybe it's because I've been hunting with them my whole life, without protection.
    I fired my braked 6.5-284 twice, without protection. OUCH!

I'm considering hunting with a handgun for gun season, I'll have to figure out something. Probably look at the under $75 E-muffs of some sort.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    I wear sonic ear valves, available from wally world. They let you hear normal sounds and shut down at 85 decibles. If I am target shooting, I also wear muffs over them.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 470 Member
    Walker's game ears can spoil you. They protect when you shoot and amplify the rest of the time.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • EarHearingEarHearing Banned Posts: 1 New Member
    :nono: SPAM...:banned:
    Noise induced hearing loss is permanent.
    Where gun fire gets you is its suddeness. It shocks the little fibres in the inner ear. I believe that all loud noise is bad for your ears but shooting unprotected is about as bad as it gets.
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I can hear low pitched sounds like thunder and elephant farts just fine. It's the high pitch sounds like bird songs that escape me.
    I wear ear muffs at the range, not while hunting.
    gunwalker wrote: »
    Walker's game ears can spoil you. They protect when you shoot and amplify the rest of the time.
    So, with those things can you hear a rabbit trying to sneak by ya? And get direction of the sound?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Airedale wrote: »
    It's the high pitch sounds like bird songs that escape me.
    I wear ear muffs at the range, not while hunting.
    It is not Birds that escape me, well maybe birds if your from down under or maybe NZ, it is sweet women's voices; esp. on the telephone and TV.
  • Dead Eye 22Dead Eye 22 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Only when hunting with a pistol, then I use "sonic ear valves".
    They let me hear pretty well, but still reduce the bang well.