Tim McGraw to Headline anti-gun concert

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,669 Senior Member
That's enough to remove him from any playlist I might have him on.:cuss:
http://rightwingnews.com/democrats/country-singer-tim-mcgraw-to-headline-anti-gun-concert-in-connecticut/
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Hope he is ready to retire, good old boys will be through with him, hey.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Hope he is ready to retire, good old boys will be through with him, hey.
    He seems to about have anyway. Last few times I've seen him perform live on different awards show, he sounded HORRIBLE. Methinks they've been using "AutoTune" on him.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    Talk about not knowing your audience....dumb ass.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Well his wife (or soon to be ex-wife) Faith Hill is more liberal than he is shame.gif
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    This Suicidal moment in time reminds me of that Canadian Bimbo supposedly Country Music Star (I always wondered What Country?) that sang with Roy Orbison up until he died in the late 80s. Her name was KD Lang or something to that effect. She was supposedly a Canadian Country singer in the tradition of the Calgary Stampede, I believe. Anyway, I think it was right after Roy Died she got on the band wagon with the Bunny Hugging Crowd and came out against eating beef. Hehehehe, talk about a genius! Brilliant MOVE!
    Anyway, she went down in flames from one day being a country superstar to an almost unknown in a matter of days. I very seldom hear about her any more. Looks like she's gonna have company!!!

:silly:................:tissue:................:nono:................:uhm:................:buff2:

:popcorn:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    Who?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Unfortunately there is very little Country left in country music. Ole Timmy's narrow ass doing something like doesn't surprise me at all. I hope his career goes down in a ball of flames, he could take Brad Paisley with him.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,462 Senior Member
    It's a myth that all modern country sounds a like.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    It's a myth that all modern country sounds a like..... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3DY7z-I8o
    That's just the top songs, right? The ones chosen by airplay and record sales? Seems to me it looks more like the consumers are looking for the same song.

Kinda like when Glocks got popular and now everyone's got polymer-frame, striker-fired, double-stack pistols with safeties integrated into the trigger and no thumb safety....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    It's really nothing new for a human being to encourage everyone else to be afraid of the same things they are afraid of. Liberals and evangelical preachers have been doing it, forever.

I'm guessing Tim just got old and was no longer able to conceal the fact that he has always had an unreasonable fear of guns. In his youth, his mercenary tendencies coincided with his limited talent to select his audience for him. When the proceeds started dwindling, he probably just decided to 'get in touch with his inner feelings.' 'Coming out of the closet' is always the last ditch effort of a has-been to keep some attention focused in his/her direction. Most aging country performers channel this into making gospel albums, when they get too old to do 'pop.' Tim McGraw doesn't have a gospel voice, so he has to become an oddity of some kind to find a new audience.

It's sad to say, but marginal performers are often just attention whores, and when folks get tired of their shtick, they sometimes slide rapidly down the ladder it took them a lifetime to climb.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,462 Senior Member
    That's just the top songs, right? The ones chosen by airplay and record sales? Seems to me it looks more like the consumers are looking for the same song.

Kinda like when Glocks got popular and now everyone's got polymer-frame, striker-fired, double-stack pistols with safeties integrated into the trigger and no thumb safety....

How the heck would I know???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    From the box describing the content:

YouTuber mashes the number 1 country hits together to show how similar they are

Plus it was going all around Facebook a while back. There might be country music that doesn't sound like that, just ain't getting as much airplay.

Doesn't really matter much to me. I just listen to Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, and other older greats. I pretty much stopped listening to country when Garth Brooks came onto the scene. And Tim McGraw? I didn't like him since he started with "Indian Outlaw."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,058 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    .......It's sad to say, but marginal performers are often just attention whores, and when folks get tired of their shtick, they sometimes slide rapidly down the ladder it took them a lifetime to climb.
    Kind of like that tongue-dragging, ass-wagging slut whose hair is tied up like devil's horns......olwhat's'ername?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Hilary?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,058 Senior Member
    Hilary?
    No, Miley....LOL
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    Just listened to part of the Utube thing, reminds me of Alvin and the Chipmunks!!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,354 Senior Member
    Hilary?

Folks, that there is funny!:roll2: :cool2:

I always get a kick out of folks claiming they don't like country 'because it all sounds the same'. All genres are full to overflowing with imitation. Hell, some of them don't bother to imitate, they just cut and paste pieces of different songs and then act like they did something worthwhile.

I don't listen to much music anymore, but when I do I don't give a crap what others are listening to...I just listen to what I like.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,590 Senior Member
    Not to break up a perfectly good lynching, but here is the website of the organization this benefits.

http://www.sandyhookpromise.org/

The only thing I see about guns is a program to "keep it safe and secure" that essentially is encouraging parents with guns to teach their kids gun safety and keep their guns locked up. Seems like pretty reasonable advice, maybe even soemthing that the NRA might promote. The rest of their programs involve helping to identify and provide help and mental health services to potentially at risk kids.
    Keep It Safe & Secure: When your firearms are not in use, they must be stored safety and securely. Kids are smart! Even if you think they don’t know where your guns are stored, they can find them. Make sure guns are cleaned and put away in a secured location immediately after they are not in use or carried on your person. Store your guns inside a locked firearm case or firearm safe, separate from ammunition. The case or safe should be in a designated safe area that is easily accessible to you but not in an area where you children play. If you don’t have a firearm case that locks, use a trigger or cable firearm lock and made sure your guns are stored unloaded and separate from ammunition.

Model responsible firearm safety and handling: As a responsible gun owner and parent, children will model your actions and behaviors. If you carry or use guns in front of your children, practice safe storage. Keep your firearm unloaded when it isn’t in use. Never point your gun at yourself or another person, and keep your finger off the trigger, regardless of whether or not your safety device is in the on position.

Teach your kids what to do if they see a gun: No matter how much we want to protect our children, we can’t be with them at every moment. In the event that your child comes across a gun when they are not with you, they should know what to do. Teach your child that guns are not toys and they are dangerous if someone who isn’t trained uses them. Teach and reinforce to your children that they should tell an adult if they see a gun in school, and if they see a gun in any situation, they should not touch it, leave the area, and tell an adult immediately.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,354 Senior Member
    Before you go touting the virtues of SHP, realize that it is only part of a larger entity. An entity that does not want to promote 'safe, responsible gun use'. The other part(s) of this group support banning assault weapons, etc. SHP is just the 'reasonable' face to the organization...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    My aunt, who had a #1 record nationwide for several weeks in 1951 ("Down Yonder") and a 30+ year featured spot as a pianist on the Opry, had a descriptive term for the Mandrell sisters, "Country as Caviar". They were one of the first of the "country" acts to use the glitzy production numbers, choreography, and all the other stuff that's common today. Back when I was hanging out backstage at the Ryman Auditorium in the early 1950's, I got to meet some of the great ones like Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, Grandpa Jones, Homer and Jethro, Roy Acuff, etc. Few, if any of them would get noticed by the Hollyweird types who run country music these days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewnfWoSQz3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9tntJzRDJ0

Late in her career, she had to wrap her fingertips in Scotch tape before a performance because they would bleed, she hit the keys so hard. She passed away from a massive stroke shortly after these clips were recorded.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    cpj wrote: »
    The only thing going for TM is he gets to shag FH.
    I never could stand his music anyway. Can't stand his whiney voice. Granted I despise todays "country" music (pop with fiddles) but still. His voice is annoying. Maybe there's a reason your dad left you, Tim.

That scares hell out of me, you and me are nearly spot on on another subject. Well other than you don't like George Jones, or didn't when he was alive. But Some of these so called country superstars can't sing their way out of a wet paper bag. I NEVER EVER Saw any talent in Tim. His daddy was a bad ass relief pitcher with the Phillies back in the day, and I suspect this helped Tim get popular. I bet if ol' Tug was still kickin' he'd be kickin' Tim's ass right now.

Brad Paisley, another one I'm not a real big fan of his music, I don't believe is a libtard. I think he's probably a pretty decent guy, judging by some things I know about him. But this doesn't give him talent. If you want to be a poet and make catchy lyrics your game, go ahead be my guest, but for me a country singer, or any singer should have the voice quality to make sound that alone will attract my attention. To me Lyrics alone do not a Star singer make. I guess that's why I still love music from the 50s and 60s, hell the 40s too, back when it had to sound good, like harmony and all that old fashion stuff. Gimme some Buddy Holly sounds!

I don't need a Music Appreciation class to know what sounds good!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Teach wrote: »
    My aunt, who had a #1 record nationwide for several weeks in 1951 ("Down Yonder") and a 30+ year featured spot as a pianist on the Opry, had a descriptive term for the Mandrell sisters, "Country as Caviar". They were one of the first of the "country" acts to use the glitzy production numbers, choreography, and all the other stuff that's common today. Back when I was hanging out backstage at the Ryman Auditorium in the early 1950's, I got to meet some of the great ones like Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, Grandpa Jones, Homer and Jethro, Roy Acuff, etc. Few, if any of them would get noticed by the Hollyweird types who run country music these days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewnfWoSQz3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9tntJzRDJ0

Late in her career, she had to wrap her fingertips in Scotch tape before a performance because they would bleed, she hit the keys so hard. She passed away from a massive stroke shortly after these clips were recorded.
    Jerry

Ahh, man those were the Days. I remember seeing Gentleman Jim on the Jimmy Dean show about a month before he got killed in 64. About everything he ever sung was a hit and he had it all, Lyrics, Voice, and style. Before he made it big on the Opry he had been a discjocky on the local station in Jefferson Texas, just down Hiway 59 from Atlanta, where I was borned. He later was on the Louisiana Hayride with people such as Elvis, and later made the big time on the Grand Ol' Opry.

Grampa Jones and his Cousin, String Bean were always my favorites. They didn't have super voices but they had a little of everything and lots of talent. You just had to love 'em.

Roy Acuff was another great one. All you mentioned were great. It's a shame Hank Senior went so young. Did you ever meet Porter Wagoner? He really made Dolly the star she was.

It's ashamed some of the younger folks on here never heard ol' "NO SHOW JONES" in his prime. I loved his old songs, Things have gone to pieces, She thinks I still Care, I'm developing my pictures, If My heart had windows, that stuff. Some of his early stuff was a bit corny for me even, but in the late 50s-Early 60s he was really in his prime. Oh yeah, "Walk Through this World With Me, Go where I go, Share all your dreams with me, I need you so, in life we search, and some of us find, I've looked for you, a long long time" God that stirs me up!!!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,590 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You REALLY need to stop making up your mind after you read only the glossy brochure. That's how you guys made it so we ended up with Odummy.

Says the guy who deleted the artist from his itunes catalog based upon a "story" in something called rightwingnews.com

Frankly I don't care at all one way or the other, I just cringe at the complete lack of critical thought and mob mentality that seems so prevalent within our community. From my few min investigating this organization the seem like a group that probably does more good than harm. I will admit, I could be wrong, but I definitely don't see this as something worth spooling up the lynch mob for.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Says the guy who deleted the artist from his itunes catalog based upon a "story" in something called rightwingnews.com

Frankly I don't care at all one way or the other, I just cringe at the complete lack of critical thought and mob mentality that seems so prevalent within our community. From my few min investigating this organization the seem like a group that probably does more good than harm. I will admit, I could be wrong, but I definitely don't see this as something worth spooling up the lynch mob for.

Any organization that supports Gun Control is NOT on my happy list. And what did you expect Wambli to do, read a left wing Publication? I don't THINK so.

And I don't care how much good they do, any organization that supports taking my rights away is NOT a good organization. And any idiot celebrity that supports them doesn't get my nickle no way no how. You are either extremely naive, or you don't really give a damn about your guns, you treet them like a set of Golf Clubs or a Bowling Ball. I've got both of those, but my guns mean a lot more to me. They're more than just entertainment. They are at the center of my being. I don't need a special right to have golf clubs or a bowling ball.

Edited to Add: Not yet anyway. When they get rid of guns, maybe then Bowling Balls and Golf Clubs will be on their list. Who knows what the controllers will go after next. But they seem to have hit a snag on guns.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Not to break up a perfectly good lynching, but here is the website of the organization this benefits.

http://www.sandyhookpromise.org/

The only thing I see about guns is a program to "keep it safe and secure" that essentially is encouraging parents with guns to teach their kids gun safety and keep their guns locked up. Seems like pretty reasonable advice, maybe even soemthing that the NRA might promote. The rest of their programs involve helping to identify and provide help and mental health services to potentially at risk kids.

I've become thoroughly polarized, radicalized, and hyper-sensitive about gun talk. Just as only a black rapper can use the N word, and nobody else can, I don't want to hear word one about gun safety, handling and storage from anybody outside the shooting fraternity. If you're not a bona fide gun nut, you've got nothing to say, you're not qualified, you're not allowed, and I don't want to hear it. If you're not one of us, if you're not our kind, you're a hoplophobe, and a hoplophobe talking about the G word is politically incorrect. I want your apology, your job, and your life ruined for even thinking like that.
  • BingBing Member Posts: 95 Member
    Interesting that Del Wood would be introduced by the other Del, Del Reeves.

Your aunt was a great one, loved Down Yonder. I go backstage at the Opry quite a bit now as I have friends in the Opry Staff Band.

It is a great way to meet past, current, and future legends.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Do you remember the former staff band drummer, Harold Weakley? I sponsored a race car for his son, Larry, back in the late 1990's at the Nashville Fairgrounds race track.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    Chris Ledoux would have kicked him in the sack, then gone back to Wyoming.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Hearing Indian outlaw makes me want to punch kittens.
    ::that:
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter