Opening day of Kansas Turkey Season....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 15,055 Senior Member
Two days ago I called a really nice gobbler up out of the creek behind the house up into the barnyard..where he strutted and gobbled for 10 minutes or so.

Last night, I roosted 3 gobblers about 200 yards from the house. The wife and I got out and set up by daybreak....and......not a peep....nothing....closed mouth gobblers are nothing unusual around here, but never this early in the season....weather permitting we'll take a run at them again in the morning.....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Just South of you turkey season opened the 6th. EVERY DAY since then I have seen the same group of turkeys while at work. They are keeping odd hours too. I don't usually see them out in a disked field until 0830.
    Yesterday they were still running around out there at 1500. They are a half a mile from the public road on private property, inside city limits.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Good luck! Rio Grande out there or Easterns? That is the nice thing about KS we have a mixed bag of both species.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    We're on a rough dividing line between the two here so we've got a third choice here....Eastern/Rio hybrids...
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    We're on a rough dividing line between the two here so we've got a third choice here....Eastern/Rio hybrids...

Nice, never shot a Rio they are beautiful birds. Looking forward to some pics of some big ole beards and spurs!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    Saw a turkey in flight on my way to work tonight. Pretty sure that's a first for me, other than coming down from or up to a roost that is.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    Good luck securing a bird! I know for a fact that Kansas has some big ol' birds running around and you're bound to bag a dandy. I was at Teach's farm this past weekend trying to work on them, but the birds down there don't appeared to be fired up to breed just yet. They gobble haphazardly right now and aren't responding to hen calls. A week or two more and they should be revved up for the call.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Have good hunting
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Found one yesterday @ 6:50 amImageUploadedByTapatalk1429205813.817101.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »

Big one!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Hell yeah! Very nice bird!

Nice work!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Hung up birds yesterday AM, 3 gobbling at me for about an hour, no luck , friend set up on them this AM same deal, no luck, back at them tomorrow .
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 718 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Hung up birds yesterday AM, 3 gobbling at me for about an hour, no luck , friend set up on them this AM same deal, no luck, back at them tomorrow .

Where's my invite?? Get lost in the mail?
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Tried Wednesday morning, no takers. Did get the local crows all riled up though.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Where's my invite?? Get lost in the mail?

I have yet to shoot one myself, when I get one I will feel the love. I have to expand my circle of folks that will give me a permission slip to hunt in their weeds and bushes, lots of folks turkey hunt around me and they are all related.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    cpj wrote: »
    I called in two owls. One came in, a few seconds later another. Then the stupid crows showed up and ran them off. I LOVE seeing owls in the woods. Silent critters, they are. They ain't there, then they are. Just like a ghost.

I have a recipe for owl...have one for crows too...just sayin
    Wife and I went out this morning...she was running the gun, I put the dekes out and was working the calls. Had a bunch of gobblers sounding off all up and down the creek. Within 10 minutes we had 6 count 'em 6 birds coming in...4 jakes and two nice toms...Had them set up as well as could be expected...right in the middle of the dekes....one of the jakes putts and is about to booger the deal...K. sends a load of 5's right over the big guys head. It got really quiet and it started raining.... She decided she doesn't like my Mossberg turkey gun....back at it again in the a.m. weather permitting......I'll have her use the 20 gauge 1100.....
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Birds are hot right now, the Tom I shot was tree gobbling at the calls I made . I was close enough to him that I heard him when he flew down out of his tree and moseyed over spitting and drumming the whole time. I hit him with a load of 4 shot out of a Winchester 1300 turkey special @ 35 yards.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    You guys want to kill turkeys so easy it's boring, come to the Texas Hill Country. I don't think you'll find that many big Eastern Turkey, although the are beginning to import some and they're getting started here, but there's thousands of Rios and they're stupid easy to kill. You don't have to feed them to get them in close but it helps. I killed so many out around Junction that I got tired of it. They got to where they were interfering with my deer hunting.

Now the rest of the state? not so much. Out on my lease I can hear them pretty often, but I've never seen one there. Down in the Guadalupe River Bottom there's lots of them, but that's mostly private land or TPWD land which is off limits to hunters. If you can catch one crossing on the tide lands, ok, but up on the high ground where they usually hang out, no way jose.

The Hlll Country, which extends from just North and West of San Antonio to North and a little East of Austin, is a wild game Mecca. There's more deer there than in all the rest of the State combined. And I would bet for every deer there there's got to be 10 turkeys. But one warning, the hill country is mostly very expensive to hunt nowadays. The land owners there know what they've got and command premium prices to hunt it. Some places go for $5000.00 per gun. That's way out of my league.

Anyway, if I wasn't allergic to certain species of reptiles I might go out and try calling some in, but this time of year our lease is full of snakes and there's not enough turkeys to lure me out there.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Wife and I went out this morning...she was running the gun, I put the dekes out and was working the calls. Had a bunch of gobblers sounding off all up and down the creek. Within 10 minutes we had 6 count 'em 6 birds coming in...4 jakes and two nice toms...Had them set up as well as could be expected...right in the middle of the dekes....one of the jakes putts and is about to booger the deal...K. sends a load of 5's right over the big guys head. It got really quiet and it started raining.... She decided she doesn't like my Mossberg turkey gun....back at it again in the a.m. weather permitting......I'll have her use the 20 gauge 1100.....

Vegetarian: Indian name for bad hunter:jester::angel2:
    Boy, that hurts! ^^
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,662 Senior Member
    I didn't do any Turkey hunting this year, but I know where they are. On the way up to Cocoa Beach Tuesday we saw three and today on the way home saw another one. All within a few feet of the shoulder of I-95.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Turkeys decide to roost somewhere else last night, got to watch three does for awhile this AM.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    NONE SHALL PASS!

Dude didn't want me on his road. Turkeys are funny.

The upload portion of this form sucks. That pic is fine on my phone. Maybe Benbob can fix it.
    It's always bumper season!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Saw two turkey hunters back on my forest road
    no birds seen or heard
    no sign.

I have not seen one there since last fall.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    I'm done, lots of gobbling, no appearances, saw lots of deer, they paid me no mind in my ghillie suit, gotta drag the kids away from their devices and try again this year.
    Hands down, I've had my ass handed to me by turkeys more than any other game animal. No shame in getting beat by them all season long...Lord knows that most years I have.