NRA potentially in trouble?

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,741 Senior Member
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/the-nras-deceptive-shell-game-with-donations-a-116744915796.html

It looks like the NRA may have been systematically violating election law and tax law, and potentially committing fraud for the past several years. It's yet to be seen if anything will come of this since this is just an investigative journalist report and it would require either the federal or a state government to step in and investigate and attempt to prosecute. Given the power of the NRA, that's highly unlikely. Of course if nothing happens it also is a pretty big indication of the influence of money in Washington, not that that will be news to anyone. Corruption is corruption, even if the corrupt are on your side. I will be reconsidering my membership and any future donations to the NRA and considering alternative pro 2A organizations to donate to instead.
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    What Wambli said. If not for the NRA we wouldn't have guns now. Or we'd be serfs like in the U.K.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Anyone who would support and defend the Constitution is an enemy of this regime!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I'm for punishing them to the same degree the IRS was punished for targeting Obama's political opponents.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    So we will retire everyone at the NRA with a big pension and 4 years worth of retaining bonuses? :cuss:

Put me in Wambli's column too. Every left leaning Bureaucrat and Journalist is out for the NRA's Head. But the NRA Keeps Staring the leftists down. So I'll keep sending them my money too.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    So we will retire everyone at the NRA with a big pension and 4 years worth of retaining bonuses? :cuss:

I wish I had Lois Lerner's Pension and Benefits plan.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    NRA Bylaws Article II

The purposes and objectives of the National Rifle Association of America are:
    1. To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such Constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms, in order that the people may always be in a position to exercise their legitimate individual rights of self-preservation and defense of family, person, and property, as well as to serve effectively in the appropriate militia for the common defense of the Republic and the individual liberty of its citizens;
    2. To promote public safety, law and order, and the national defense;
    3. To train members of law enforcement agencies, the armed forces, the militia, and people of good repute in marksmanship and in the safe handling and efficient use of small arms;
    4. To foster and promote the shooting sports, including the advancement of amateur competitions in marksmanship at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels;
    5. To promote hunter safety, and to promote and defend hunting as a shooting sport and as a viable and necessary method of fostering the propagation, growth and conservation, and wise use of our renewable wildlife resources. The Association may take all actions necessary and proper in the furtherance of these purposes and objectives.

Hmmm. Is it any wonder that they might be spending money on political lobbying?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    While I vehemently disagree with anyone violating the law in this particular case I don't know how I feel. The law being "violated" was structured to specifically silence organizations like the NRA. I just went into the political page of Yahoo and counted 22 stories about Hilary, 2 about Rubio and 1 on Jeb. That gives me some indications of their leanings and I'm sure the investigative "reporter" is not on our side of the fence. Hey if they screwed up then let them get fined. They are still doing a massive amount of work on my behalf so my money will still be going to them.

:agree: :that:

Who else has been defending our 2A/RKBA as long and as much as the NRA.

If some heads need to roll, so be it, but let the good they do continue. Don't you thunk with all the lefty journalist and anti-2A politicians they haven't searched low and hard for something to pin on the NRA.

They ignore their leftist buddies and apply a double standard to them, let one pro-gun or conservative group even waiver and they start screaming like raped apes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,577 Senior Member
    I don't pretend to know/understand all the ramifications of this - BUT - people need to remember that Laws, Morals, and Ethics seldom intersect. I come down hard and heavy on the side of Ethics every single time! Again, I don't know the who/what/where/when/how of any of this, so I don't have an opinion on "who done wrong" - just sayin'...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    With the quantity of Federal laws and regulations being spewed out of Washington like a liquid manure spreader powered by a supercharged 426 hemi I'm not surprised that they got tripped up. Hillary wiping her Email server gets a pass, Obama trading terrorists for a deserter gets a pass, Hillary taking money from Mideastern countries while she is Secretary of State gets a pass, but the NRA gets ambushed by a Yahoo reporter. Business as usual, nothing to see here, move along, move along.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    The Justice Department needs to pursue the corruption that is corroding every branch of this administration from the EPA to the IRS to the Secret Service to Labor, DHS, etc., before it fools with the NRA. This is Yahoo's darkest hour.
    Yep, bunch of Yahoos :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Dang, Wambli has his thunking cap on today.................quick go make some big business/GUN deals while you at the top of your game today!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm for punishing them to the same degree the IRS was punished for targeting Obama's political opponents.

With the IRS history of targeting political enemies, it would not surprise me if the IRS misfiled the NRA returns and that's why they are showing that they have not paid a lot of those taxes.

I doubt that the NRA, knowing they are a huge target, would purposefully violate a law that was so easy to uncover.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    I am waiting to hear the NRA's take on this. I am thinking an organization that size would have had their T's crossed and I's dotted. Especially since there are many, many people just waiting for them to screw up somehow.

Besides, the NRA is funded by large gun companies, not small individual donors like they are saying. Everyone knows that. :sarcasm:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,231 Senior Member
    Every organization in Washington runs on money. Any other 2nd Amendment group also runs on money, and so does PETA, labor unions, the National Council of Churches, and every single one. It takes a lot of cash to get things done. However unpalatable that sounds, it's a fact. What other pro-gun group has the influence of the NRA? None. It's got money and membership that votes, which is more powerful than having a lot of cash and few members.

Liberals hate the NRA because its members generally are NOT liberals, and they vote in every election. Liberals dislike a powerful conservative group and use the excuse of Big Money to attack the NRA while ignoring Big Money on their side.

Was a time when the NRA got into politics way outside the 2nd Amendment, and they paid the price in membership. And they lost on a lot of issues not gun related. But now, they concentrate on protecting the rights of gun owners. They're not the only group who does so, but they're the biggest and most important.

I'm a firm supporter of the NRA and will be in these uncertain times. Whatever anyone can say bad about the NRA, they are true to their commitment to Amendment 2.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    I suppose this "Investigative Reporter" wasn't actually looking for a violation of the law. It has been said that there are so many existing federal laws on the books that the government could pick a citizen out of a hat and find a law that they violated. Maybe Oscumwad put this guy up to it. Wouldn't surprise me if they try and bankrupt the NRA and put them out of business.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    The author, Alan Berlow, is a liberal hack for the antis. A Google search of his name reveals many, many articles that he has written against the NRA and gun rights in general. And yes, a liberal hack-- not all liberals are against guns, but this guy writes for some very biased liberal rags. He has an agenda.

http://www.salon.com/writer/alan_berlow/
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/12/gun-law-concealed-carry-permit-utah-101113.html#.VTbRr5O3vM0
    http://www.publicintegrity.org/authors/alan-berlow

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am waiting to hear the NRA's take on this. I am thinking an organization that size would have had their T's crossed and I's dotted. Especially since there are many, many people just waiting for them to screw up somehow.

Besides, the NRA is funded by large gun companies, not small individual donors like they are saying. Everyone knows that. :sarcasm:
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The author, Alan Berlow, is a liberal hack for the antis. A Google search of his name reveals many, many articles that he has written against the NRA and gun rights in general. And yes, a liberal hack-- not all liberals are against guns, but this guy writes for some very biased liberal rags. He has an agenda.

http://www.salon.com/writer/alan_berlow/
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/12/gun-law-concealed-carry-permit-utah-101113.html#.VTbRr5O3vM0
    http://www.publicintegrity.org/authors/alan-berlow

What a surprise....never would have guessed.....LOL!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    Well, he got our resident liberal spy to stir the pot on the forum- - - - - color me SURPRISED (not!)
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

I was being sarcastic, but if somebody did something wrong at the NRA, sure, retire that person. As far as I know, nobody has been punished at the IRS. Lois Lerner retired to take the heat off of Obama, but it cost her nothing. My point was that I'll accept justice, as long as it is applied first to these rogue agencies that have been exposed for months, or years.
    I would rather give to the NRA than the Clinton Foundation any day :tooth:

Oh, I'm sorry they (Clinton's) are above reproach....:devil:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I can guarantee you that at the end it will be a case of some low level IT and fundraising guys that just did not understand the complexities of the law and some poor oversight from overworked low level management. BUT every liberal in the world will be gleefully screaming conspiracy while thoroughly ignoring Benghazi, the IRS scandal, Fast and Furious and the bazillion other BLATANT AND PREMEDITATED government transgressions and crimes that go unpunished for years.

Amen! You are preaching to the choir, but it's the truth!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Some folks are just fickle enough to go which way the News Wind blows without further details......

Fickle Pickles
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/the-nras-deceptive-shell-game-with-donations-a-116744915796.html

It looks like the NRA may have been systematically violating election law and tax law, and potentially committing fraud for the past several years. It's yet to be seen if anything will come of this since this is just an investigative journalist report and it would require either the federal or a state government to step in and investigate and attempt to prosecute. Given the power of the NRA, that's highly unlikely. Of course if nothing happens it also is a pretty big indication of the influence of money in Washington, not that that will be news to anyone. Corruption is corruption, even if the corrupt are on your side. I will be reconsidering my membership and any future donations to the NRA and considering alternative pro 2A organizations to donate to instead.

I find it interesting that you have concluded this "reporter's" statements to be factual. Ask your Harry Reid about lying about the facts.....doesn't matter if the end is arrived at that you support! Now there is another fine example of Liberal ethics......I'll bet you won't be leaving the Demoncratic Party even after Harry's admission about lying, or Hillary's misdeeds, or Lois destroying evidence......typical
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I would rather give to the NRA than the Clinton Foundation any day :tooth:

Oh, I'm sorry they (Clinton's) are above reproach....:devil:
    Clinton Foundation doesn't need your money. They have China.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    bowserb wrote: »
    Clinton Foundation doesn't need your money. They have China.

And Russia, and Canada...

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/ny-times-hillary-clinton-approved-russian-uranium-deal-133318767.html

You guys can rest easy that she will not be getting my vote.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member

That just means you are a Sexist!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    And Russia, and Canada...

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/ny-times-hillary-clinton-approved-russian-uranium-deal-133318767.html

Personally, I'm expecting her to be replaced by somebody new with no history...again. Democrats are suckers for 'rock stars,' and she would rather just keep making big money than try to dodge Fox News and play the persecuted female part till she's 80 years old. They can afford to hire people to kick around, now.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

And also Anti-Pants Suits!