Email from Senator Marco Rubio

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 8,528 Senior Member
Some time back I sent an email to Sen. Marco Rubio asking his position on 2A issues.

I kind of forgot about it when I did not receive a response. Today I was surprised to find the following in my in box:

Dear Mr. Comfort,

Thank you for writing me regarding the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I understand this is an important issue and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I hold the fundamental belief the Second Amendment should not be altered. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

Some have suggested restricting gun ownership as a way to curb gun violence. I am always open to ideas on how to stop violent crimes, however, I have concerns when these suggestions are solely directed toward restricting gun ownership. We should work to reduce tragic acts of violence by addressing violence at its source, including untreated mental illness, a lack of adequate information-sharing on mental health issues, and the breakdown of the family, not by restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens.

To that end, I cosponsored a bipartisan piece of legislation, the Excellence in Mental Health Act or S.264, along with Senators Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) and Roy Blunt (R-MO), to improve quality standards and expand access to mental health services. I believe mental health access is an important step to prevent violent tragedies from occurring and I will continue to pursue legislation that addresses these issues without restricting the rights of law abiding citizens.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve you as your United States Senator. I appreciate you offering your opinion on this issue. If I can ever be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator

Each week I provide a weekly update on issues in Washington and ways in which my office can assist the people of Florida. Sign up here for updates on my legislative efforts, schedule of events throughout Florida, constituent services and much more.

For the record he is the only Representative of my area that sent any kind of response. All enquiry's to Congresswoman Frederica Wilson and Debbie Wasserman Shultz have remained ingnored each time I requested information.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    At least he understands one of the major issues regarding gun violence and those that commit the acts that make the libs panties moist, mental health. Fix the little dirty secrets of the menatal health industry and it will go a long way towards reducing mass murders.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Agreed, BAM. Too many nutjobs have access to firearms and this certainly needs to be reined in.

Rubio's reply is of course formulaic and a "canned" response but they did respond, which is a plus. At least someone there is listening to voters.

Far as I can tell, the "real" candidates (Rubio, Paul, Cruz) are pretty okay for gun rights and aren't much different in their stances. As for the RINOs, they will be kowtowing to the big East coast money interests anyway, ignoring us little folks. I can't believe that Lindsey Graham (Senator Grahamnesty as Rush calls him) is seriously considering campaigning.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Agreed, BAM. Too many nutjobs have access to firearms and this certainly needs to be reined in.

Rubio's reply is of course formulaic and a "canned" response but they did respond, which is a plus. At least someone there is listening to voters.

Far as I can tell, the "real" candidates (Rubio, Paul, Cruz) are pretty okay for gun rights and aren't much different in their stances. As for the RINOs, they will be kowtowing to the big East coast money interests anyway, ignoring us little folks. I can't believe that Lindsey Graham (Senator Grahamnesty as Rush calls him) is seriously considering campaigning.

Don't forget Walker, he's standing by the 2A and you know he is because the Libs are making attacks on him over it, and he's not apologizing. I love that.

As for who I will throw my support to? Right now I will say that it will go to whoever among these 4 guys who seems to have the best chance of getting the Republican Nomination. There may be another one or two out there, but I'll tell everybody here right now, if even Christie, yeah, New Jersey Fats, gets the nomination, He's got my vote if he's the Republican on the ticket in November, 2016. I don't care what you think of him or anyone else running as a Republican right now, I will vote in the November, 2016 General Election and it will be for the candidate who is on the ticket as a Republican.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.