Are you getting worried about the Iranian ships?

2»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,830 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    IF we had a President with something in his sack larger than two anorexic hydrogen atoms, the message he would send to Tehran would read something like this:

"Greetings! You have taken a ship by force in the Straits of Hormuz belonging to an island nation protected by the United States of America. This action is unlawful and will not stand. Two carrier task forces are proceeding to the straits now. When they are on station you will have 24 hours to release the ship with cargo and crew intact. If these conditions are not met at the end of the 24 hour time limit, the port, all facilities, all Iranian ships including warships will be destroyed with not one brick standing on the other. Have a good day!"

Yep.... :agree:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I'm more worried about the lack of appropriate response.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Our Navy has been reduced to a year 1916 level of ships. The, invalid, theory is that our ships are more capable therefore we don't need as many. I believe that theory is invalid because the enemy's ships are more capable as well. However the best tool in the world is useless without the will to use it and present administration is unwilling to confront evil in whatever form in any way.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I'm more worried about the Russian and Chinese naval exercise in the Med.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Our Navy has been reduced to a year 1916 level of ships. The, invalid, theory is that our ships are more capable therefore we don't need as many. I believe that theory is invalid because the enemy's ships are more capable as well. However the best tool in the world is useless without the will to use it and present administration is unwilling to confront evil in whatever form in any way.

I think we can take anybody out with even less than what we have. But as everyone has said, our leader has to have the will to it. I don't see a Roosevelt, a Truman, an Eisenhower, a Kennedy, a Reagan or a Bush in office right now that would have the Cojones to do it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Straight up naval Battle? I dunno. Our Fleet is pretty small. But, the Navy has other tools at its disposal to help wage ground and air war. We do have 10 Carriers, but I wouldn't say that we have 10 full carrier groups. Look at 6th Fleet, the only ship permanently assigned to that Admiral is the USS MT Whitney, A comms ship.

By the way, after spending time on the Whitney for a few things, I don't know how you navy guys did it. I will sleep in the dirt any day rather than spend another night in those racks.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,580 Senior Member
    Totally off subject, but I could see any non-nuclear conflict with China rapidly turning into an exercise in area denial. They have enough missiles to at least threaten our carriers, and we have enough defenses to prevent any ships or aircraft from getting anywhere close to the CONUS
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Straight up naval Battle? I dunno. Our Fleet is pretty small. But, the Navy has other tools at its disposal to help wage ground and air war. We do have 10 Carriers, but I wouldn't say that we have 10 full carrier groups. Look at 6th Fleet, the only ship permanently assigned to that Admiral is the USS MT Whitney, A comms ship.

By the way, after spending time on the Whitney for a few things, I don't know how you navy guys did it. I will sleep in the dirt any day rather than spend another night in those racks.

Hell I slept like a baby on U.S.S. Independence when I went on a Tiger Cruise back in Jan. 1996. I had to fly to Tokyo and my son picked me up at Narita Airport. The ships bus took us to Yakusoku and put me up in the Navy Lodge. Then the next afternoon we went and got on the boat. That evening we pulled out into I guess it was the Pacific and got underway for parts unknown, to me anyway.

The air ops show started just at dark as we got about 20 miles out. The A-6s, F-18s and F-14s and more began descending upon the ship coming from the nearby land base and started landing on the ship. I was up on vultures row behind the bridge. I watched air ops until about 1AM that night, then went to sleep in my coffin locker. I watched air ops every day for hours upon hours. It was one awesome Air Show. You haven't lived until you watch an F-14 take off a ship. But if you haven't seen that yet, you probably won't because the F-14 was taken out of service a few years back.

We had the full fleet support and in every direction you looked you would see naval vessels. The next morning they refueled off a tanker, shooting the lines over and hooking up. Then the air ops really began in earnest.

The Tiger cruise is a nice experience and the boys get to bring their fathers, grandfathers, brothers or even some guys brought their moms. This was in the days just before coed ships, so the mothers were treated really special with their own guarded sleeping quarters.

Anyway, I remember well having to walk about 600 feet aft to get a cup of coffee in the mornings. The Independence was in the first class of supercarriers. They weren't nuke, but they were big. This was the Forrestal class which are 1040 feet long and about 100+ feet wide and 85,000 tons. The Indy was the last of the class and was very nice for its age, its keel having been laid in I think 57 or 58.

A Tiger Cruise is not only a family get together but also used to certify the ship. Every piece of machinery on that ship or supporting it is tested out to insure it is in good working order. They do everything including fire all the guns, proof out the fire fighting systems, all the ordinance is checked over, radar, radios and all communications life boats, every hoist, elevator and every moving part of the ship is run at its design output. This includes air ops and every aspect of that, including every plane that is assigned to that ship. And also the engines.

We went on a speed certification run during which we got up to full design speed and held it for one hour. In the Indy's case that's 33 knots. That old ship held 33.1 knots for an hour. The tail end of the ship was vibrating its ass off. We were throwing a 12 foot wheel wash. I never saw so much steel move so fast in my life. I being a Carbider, in that I worked for Union Carbide and working in a chemical plant, met a guy from Virginia who worked for Dupont, so we hit it off right off the bat. We were kind of paling around together and we went down to one of the engine rooms, there's four since it's a four screw ship.

We went into the Number three engine room and this being a ship built in the 50s it had an old dial tachometer up above the door. Now this was during the speed run so we were at Design speed. The tach was reading 153 RPM, which was the shaft speed (Remember, this ship was spinning some 20+ foot diameter screws), so 153 shaft RPM. That's not the turbine RPM, the turbine turns a reduction gear which reduces the RPM considerably, like from 4000 or 5000, and multiplies the torque tremendously to put out about 50,000 shaft HP per engine. The guy with me ask the machinist mate what was the fastest he'd ever seen that tach. The machinist mate told him he wasn't supposed to share that info, because it was classified and was what they call Flank speed, or emergency battle speed. But he said, off the record he'd seen that tach over 173 RPM, over 20 RPM more than design speed. I said something to the effect that I bet it would do well over 40 MPH at flank speed and the machinist mate nodded and said "And Then Some!"

He said when they've gone to flank speed before, they've blown an occasional boiler tubes and burn a ton of fuel in a short period of time, so they don't do that very often, but the captains like to blow soot and salt out of the boiler tubes, turbines, and piping once in a while to make sure it's still up to the task.

Now the guns were something for sure. Those Phalanx CIWS babies, 20 mm Cannon Gatling guns will flat burn some ammo before you can blink an eye. I've never heard anything like that in my life. Talk about rate of fire. And they even fired their big guns, I think some kind of high powered long range 3 inch, I didn't ask the BC of the bullet. These were modern additions to the ship and not original 50s equipment. A CIWS sounds like a buzz saw on steroids. You can't really discern a single shot, but it sounds like a big saw. They shot them out into the sea and it stirred the water up just a little bit. If there were any fish in the area they were TOAST after that.

The ship had a couple different kinds of missiles too but they didn't fire them. My buddy from Virginia told me they cost way to much to be shooting 'em off into space just to watch the effect.

I ask the question how thick was the hull and how much damage could it withstand. I was told it was heavily compartmentalized but only made of half inch plate and the danger was if the enemy fired a torpedo to the stern that it would blow the shaft packing out in front of the screws and fill those compartments with water eventually filling the engine room and possibly sinking the ship. But I was assured that the ship had so much defensive armament that nothing was going to get in that close. The only thing that could take it out would be a Sub. And that was unlikely because of all our subs and destroyers and frigates circled around the ship.

Anyway, it was a very interesting three days for me I Guarantee you. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,736 Senior Member

I think any real naval conflict outcome would depend on how many fast attack subs we have. With the fire and forget torpedoes we have they could target multiple ships and take out the big dangerous stuff right quick.

As to those racks on ships, they were not all that comfortable, but you got used to them. :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

tennmike wrote: »
    IF we had a President with something in his sack larger than two anorexic hydrogen atoms, the message he would send to Tehran would read something like this:

"Greetings! You have taken a ship by force in the Straits of Hormuz belonging to an island nation protected by the United States of America. This action is unlawful and will not stand. Two carrier task forces are proceeding to the straits now. When they are on station you will have 24 hours to release the ship with cargo and crew intact. If these conditions are not met at the end of the 24 hour time limit, the port, all facilities, all Iranian ships including warships will be destroyed with not one brick standing on the other. Have a good day!"

Our Prez only engages the content of his "Sack" When engaged with white Americans telling them to sit down and SHUT UP! I think it's high time for a change.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Our Prez only engages the content of his "Sack" When engaged with white Americans telling them to sit down and SHUT UP! I think it's high time for a change.

That is the only time Michelle lets him have them back.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    coolgunguy wrote: »

Iran isn't necessarily feeling its oats, but rather it has this administration's number. They know Nobummer has no balls. This sort of thing will only get worse and they will laugh at us as they build their Nuclear Arsenal and we stand by with our thumb up our Arse!
2»